Argh......cyclingnews.com

Comments

• Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    What a TOTAL mess. D**n it was fine, perfect even before they created this shambles. It really is bad, very, very bad and believe me I'm not the conservative type. :lol: It had a minor change a few months ago and that was a step back but this is just ridiculous! :x

Maybe if we create enough fuss then they might just change it back to the was it was before. I really used to like that site...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    It's an absolute travesty compared to what it was. Functionality on my mobile has been utterly destroyed. Far too much flash, far too many useless blocks of info. Broken links galore. Missing results, stage profiles, races.

Style over substance.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I agree. While it could have used some improvements, these weren't them. Too bad. I noticed the writeup says it's got improved navigation but I think it's deproved. Please try again, since cycling news is my first stop!
  • The Dr
    The Dr Posts: 21
    Arrgh I agree. :evil: What was a well presented and easy to read/naviagte site, is now a complete dogs breakfast. AND looks far too much like Bikeradar....rings of money saving more than anything else! According to the blurb about the Shite ooops I mean site WE voted for this change? NOT ME! And seems there were't to many in here judging by the comments. Hopefully if enough people kick up enough of a stink they'll change it back
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    I don't like it either.
  • The Dr
    The Dr Posts: 21
    Make sure you all let them know by posting on the forum on Cyclingnews eh?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    NICE - I like it :) Bout time they caught up with the rest of the world :D:D:D:D
    cartoon.jpg
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    They're probably doing some split testing which is why some people are seeing the old one. Enjoy it while you can.

I gather they didn't fo any usability testing because it has a lot of the same problems that Bike Radar has.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The design is OK but like many others, I'm running Adblock and so can't see all of their ads and animated guff.

It's only fair it's integrated into the BR site and content, that's been on the cards for some time.

But it's been handled badly. Future aren't Newscorp but they are a business listed on the stock exchange and so should take care to get things right, especially since they are relying on a community of readers. Missing links, vanishing content, stale news: this site should be a point of reference, not a land of confusion. I don't mind but it makes CN look sloppy.

It should have been tested before, surely they did a beta site and invited a few people to try it? But all these problems will be ironed out in time I'm sure, it's just a shame they launched a half-baked version.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    So, every day for the last however many years I've looked forward to reading the First Edition News article, then around lunchtime. First day on the new site and there is no First Edition News. Very disappointing. My thoughts on the layout are currently mixed, but if the content suffers then I will stop using the site.
  • Kléber
    Squired, the way they held back the news until midday and midnight just wasn't a good idea, you can't sit on news. Too often the news was "broken" on the forum instead, with the likes of the Hindustan Times being the source for many (thanks iainf72) rather than CN. When a story happens, it happens.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    That is true - they need to report news as and when BUT the editions were great for those of us who check the site a couple of times a day and don't want to trawl through multiple links... I used to check the first edition every morning when I got to work, then the latest at lunch - the question is why can't they do both?
  • Kléber
    True, I'm finding it frustrating to have to open seperate pages/tabs for each item, having a page with all the stories from one day would be good. They could have seperate links on the home page with hyperlinks to the story but this refers to one page where all the day's stories are kept on.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Kléber wrote:
    Squired, the way they held back the news until midday and midnight just wasn't a good idea, you can't sit on news. Too often the news was "broken" on the forum instead, with the likes of the Hindustan Times being the source for many (thanks iainf72) rather than CN. When a story happens, it happens.

I always assumed this was because they were based in Oz?

Strava is not Zen.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Bipedal - that's exactly what I would do - check the first edition news when I arrive at work, then read the latest news during lunch. They do still have a section titled "News Editions", so maybe they will produce something afterall, just not at the same times as previously?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Is anyone else having problems with Firefox and the new site? This is also affecting this forum too - I click on links but then get a completely blank page.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    andyp wrote:
    Is anyone else having problems with Firefox and the new site? This is also affecting this forum too - I click on links but then get a completely blank page.

I've been getting that for Ages on Bikeradar
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dulldave
    andyp wrote:

Don't know about CN but I need to use IE just to get this stupid site to let me sign in. Pretty amateur error to make really.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't know about CN but I need to use IE just to get this stupid site to let me sign in. Pretty amateur error to make really.

What's the problem exactly?
  • dulldave
    It doesn't recognise my password details but when I type the exact same details into IE it works.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I had the same problem with Firefox, but all seems well, since the changeover.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    News editions appear to have been updated on the News page - they now have yesterday's first and latest... nothing so far for today
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I do this sort of thing for a living and would love to have been at the agency involved and seen how much attention they paid to what users actually use.

For instance you can run tools on your pages that will show you hit locations for what gets visited the most etc....this helps you bring focus of the parts that are most useful to your audience.

In their case the new layout gives equal importance to the race results and news etc and their focus area is the features pod. I would imagine most like me used something within the links so for me it was either the big race of the time (giro tour etc) or first edition news. Now these are slightly demoted. However the original site wasn't at all good, that just gave content up in a free for all.

I think its an improvment though still needs refining in my opinion but like I say a site with this much useful content would be a great challenge to anyone working in the industry to get right, would help if they had an interest in the subject matter as well.

First thing you get used to with something this big is a lot of people complaining its rubbish however if you get the user journey's and navigation design spot on usually it goes down well, in this case I think its not quite right.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    andyp wrote:

Its been better recently for me.

No problems for the last 2 firefox updates.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    phips wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Clear out your cookies for anything with 'bikeradar' in the name and this goes away. Weird, I know.

Not for long though, it's annoying have to keep deleting cookies.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    You know, I have never really looked at the layout of BikeRadar before.

It is a bit confusing isn't it?

I am just straight into the forums and ignore the rest of the site. My bookmark even brings me straight to the Road section.
  • drdunans
    drdunans Posts: 18
    I used to be a member of this forum, but at the changeover a few years back I never bothered re-registering.

However, I've just re-joined so that I can voice my despair at what they've done to the cyclingnews.com website.

It used to be so good... now it's rubbish! How's that for an overnite impact.

In particular finding the results of races is much more difficult and the loss of the news summaries is a disaster!

Please can who ever is in charge of it (I know you're reading this) do something about it?

Thanks
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    cyclingnews is ruined.. most people I have spoken to agree ... pity
    www.dotcycling.com