Argh......cyclingnews.com

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited June 2009 in Pro race
I used to love that site, but they gone and made it as unusable as the front pages of Bikeradar.

It's definitely not an improvement in any case...
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Isn't it terrible? They've gone from a simple and clean look to a complex one and rendered it virtually unusable.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Another website succumbs to the "more = better" idea. Simple text gets replaced with eyesore flash. The site did need updating to reflect the new links available to the Bike Radar stable but aaargh, that moving "Today on Cyclingnews" banner thing is irritating.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I'm still seeing the old site - is there a beta version somewhere?
  • redddraggon
    I'm still seeing the old site - is there a beta version somewhere?

I wish I was still seeing the old site :?

No beta as far as I can tell, it's definitely been changed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    phips wrote:
    AdBlock Plus plugin for Firefox.

What banners?

Just followed suit and what a difference! Their site was driving me crazy.
    Now, everything is instant response. :):wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    carousel.swf blocked 8)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kléber
    Thanks to Adblock, you could always block any reference to "Lance" or "McQuaid". Aurelio would love it..
  • redddraggon
    Nah I've always had adblock installed - it's still crap to the original.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    What am I missing here? Looks like it always has to me.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Still the old site for me. Am wondering now if my ISP uses some sort of smart cacheing system to reduce traffic.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Same for me, but URL is now 'autobus.cyclingnews.com' which might imply its for less technically advanced among us (like my iMac!)

Strava is not Zen.
  • redddraggon
    I get the old site too on autobus.cyclingnews.com, but www.cyclingnews.com gives the new site.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    yeah Adblock Plus with Flashblock in Firefox make it less unpleasant, and I feel a bit less patronised

3629442948_647119dd5a.jpg

but the underlying amateurishness of it concerns me, as does the contempt for the users (i.e. us)

ultimately they want to make money from our eyeballs, and being a magazine company it looks like they don't yet "get" the web

I daresay we'll get used to it though - and it's still a load better than the mess that is "bikeradar"
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Other than the fact that none of the links work, the layout isn't that bad.

You people just don't like change.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    I cant seem to find the stage profiles for the tour of switzerland now?
  • andyp
    www.tds.ch has everything you need Cumulonimbus.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Since it now looks identical to BikeRadar, can we expect the 2 to merge soon?

Another forum shift perhaps...........will we see people fleeing to CycleChat again in a huff? Certainly hope so, it was really funny to watch last time. :wink:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    andyp wrote:
    www.tds.ch has everything you need Cumulonimbus.

Yeah, cheers for that, had already moved onto it. Lacks an english version from what i can see but i can still find the profiles.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I think the new version is too busy and honestly thought i had somehow gone onto bikeradar by mistake. Don't like it.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Timoid. wrote:
    You people just don't like change.
    Indeed I don't! Unless it's to make things better. But if it makes things worse eg harder to use, then I don't like change. Important distinction.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    O, horrible! O, horrible! most horrible!
    If thou hast nature in thee, bear it not;
  • andyp
    Have they dispensed with showing the full results of races too? I can only see the top ten in today's TDS stage.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Have they dispensed with showing the full results of races too? I can only see the top ten in today's TDS stage.

You need to click on the small icon that says show more to expand from top 10 to full result sheet
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • I don't like the bikeradar site layout and now they've transferred that to cyclingnews :roll:. It'll take a while to get used to it.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:roll:
    Mañana
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    ****** Jeff!! Please tell Daniel to take the spoilers off the front page!!! ******

I do like the new layout, but the old site used to always make sure that you had to click a link to find out a result.

For example - I just wanted to go and look at today's Tour de Suisse stage profile before watching it on cycling.tv, but ended up reading the result instead...

Please!

Cheers, Andy
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    i'm totally gutted, what brainiac felt the simplistic design needed changing? they've now got forums as well?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Their "latest news" is currently dated mid-April and is about Rebellin and the Ardennes classics........
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'