Hot Foot

dixiesurf
dixiesurf Posts: 70
Hi

Advice needed???

I am now suffering with Hot foot :( It occurs after approx 3 hours riding. My shoes are a pair of Northwave Aerlite SBS size 44 when I am a 43, I was led to believe this are generous on the width. I have just got a pair of the Specialized footbed insoles which have not made a difference in fact they have made the shoes tighter as they thicker compared to the original insoles.
The cleats are as far back as possible to get the ball of the foot on the pedal axle.

I have been looking at new shoes and the Mavic Zxellium ( the garish yellow )are really comfortable with a lot of mesh on top, has anyone else tried these.

Im off to Italy in 3 weeks so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
John

Comments

• bexley
    bexley Posts: 11
    i have the same problem i get a acking on the sole of my left foot only , only when the temp is above 20 c
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    This is a big big problem for me. I've just started my racing season proper and this has coincided with a new pair of shoes (I had to the other were falling apart)

Anyway, I've tried moving the cleats right to the back, I've tried taking the in-sole out, I've tried wearing thick socks to stop any friction and it's still there and it's bloody annoying.

I'm either going to try and glue the old shoes and use them for race only or just soldier on :twisted: I was going to try the spesh insoles but...

Should mention:

Old shoes: Nike with carbon sole and low stack height, ridden for miles and miles and miles and never a problem. (most extreme test was a 12hr, no pain, nothing.)

New shoes: Lake, non-carbon sole, slightly higher stack, pain after 30 mins.

My wild guess is that the sole stiffness is the big difference for ME.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    my previous shoes were the specialized sport with spd cleats and pedals
    tho having had speedplay zeros for almost a year but now the look keo carbon with cro-mo spindle ive found the larger cleat surface helpd.
    i have a pair of sidi genius (2007 model) 6.6 full carbon sole and have been using inov8 6mm insole and its been really comfortable.
    http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG5&L=26&P=5050973301
    feet being a size down to your shoe isnt going to help you be comfortable.
    remember to try 3 different shoe sizes in store rather than hoping for the best online.
    thankfully with sidi its just one size up from what i usually had.
  • rb1
    rb1 Posts: 18
    i had terrible problems with hot foot some years ago. what fixed it were new shoes - carbon sidis - and new pedals - replacing speedplays with looks. i think the stiffer shoe solved the problem, really, and the pedals were less of a factor.

but i think bike fit can also be a factor. as you're riding, check to see if there's any asymmetry . i had noticed that my left knee drifts outward a bit and i think that puts unusual stress on that foot. paying some attention to posture helped, too.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sounds like a circulation problem, sometimes the shoe is too tight and is restricting the blood a bit, often when your feet swell. Undo the shoes a bit.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I used to get a touch of hot foot occassionally with my old cycling shoes on rides of 3 hours+

My old cycling shoes were shimano touring shoes that were on the big side.

I now use specialized MTB comp shoes in the summer and Northwave Celcius in the winter

The Specialized ones are better for me.

The main difference between the old shoes and the new shoes are

1) the shoes fit closely they are not too big
    2) the soles are a lot more rigid

I use shimano MTB SPD cleats for road riding. These are supposedly more prone to hot foot due to the smaller contact area but I don't find this myself