riding with a cast on?

jimycooper
jimycooper Posts: 740
Hi, i broke my arm a good few weeks ago now. getting the cast off in 9 days time.

i am looking for opinions as to if i should ride, im not sure how much more turbo i can take!
arms giving me no pain, sat on my bike this morning and could easily pull brake ect...

ideas?? thanks in advance...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try a very short loop, see how you get on?

That's what I did.

Problem I found and still do is when I go over a rough bit of road it bloody hurts!
  • jimycooper
    ok, might give that a go,

any other medical views?
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Think i would stay on the turbo. A fall could see another 6 weeks on your butt!
  • jimycooper
    well i'll give it a go tomorow,

my reasoning is that, i fall off about 1 ride in 80? so the 6 rides or so i'll do with the cast on wont be enough to fall off again.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    jimycooper wrote:
    well i'll give it a go tomorow,

my reasoning is that, i fall off about 1 ride in 80? so the 6 rides or so i'll do with the cast on wont be enough to fall off again.

i assume the above comment was a joke and is not representative of your understanding of statistics :wink:
  • Was you fracture a compound fracture or is the break splitered at all, if so dont go out for a ride at all, in fact rest up as much as you possibly can, sounds like you have already done to much. I know more than most that our bodies are precious so take heed. Your body is trying to heal a break, you are doing it no favours depleting it of necessary energy to do this.

More importantly if you fall off and damage the break further then you risk secondary infection and I cannot STRESS to you enough the effort you should put in to try and avoid this.

Good luck with the healing and I hope the bone mends well

PV
  • HenryS
    HenryS Posts: 104
    If your really keen to ride with a cast you could take some pointers from a guy i saw a few days ago. He had his broken arm strapped into his tt bar and while he wobbled all over the road he seemed happy as larry.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    edited June 2009
    I would say that the cast is on for a reason... 5 weeks is the minimum I recommend for adults distal radius fracture, though it depends on the individual fracture. If you are due for the cast to be removed at 6 weeks rather than 5 that gives you a little more safety margin. Orthopaedic surgeons don't leave casts on for longer than necessary (for reasons why look up Sudeck's Atrophy or Chronic regional pain syndrome). Normally you shoud avoid contact sports after coming out of cast as there is a significant refracture risk (but you actually have to stress the bone by using it to get it back up to strength over 6-8 weeks following coming out of cast), so cycling would be fine, but having another fall would not :shock:

You would probably be fine right now, but if you had an accident, you may trash the bike and would have problems with any claim, or indeed might attract the attention of the police if they saw you riding in a cast. If you are cool with that then go for it, but otherwise, its only a week and a bit to wait.

*edit oops - was editing my post when NapoleonD posted below*
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As long as you have control over the bike and can stop there will be no attention from the cops. Unless you are a very attractive person and get chatted up by an officer.