Can excessive training lead to diabetes?

MabBee
MabBee Posts: 40
Frequently I ride for 3 or 4 hours without taking on board any food, or having breakfast before hand -- I like to try and harden myself up against the bonk.

Does anyone know if such methods could lead to diabetes. Clearly, one would expect it to put a starin on your blood sugar level, but I'm not sure if it is likely to be bead for me or not.

Comments

• Im no doctor but have taken part in a few diabetes related clinical tests so learnt a bit about it through that. Hopes this helps and is factually correct:

I can't see how you would be at any risk in getting diabetes in doing what you're doing. I believe (not 100% sure so don't quote me) that type 1 diabetes is largely caused by an over active imune system causing damage to the pancreas which limitis the quantities of insulin it can produce. Type 2 is thought to be caused by the body adapting to insulin so it's no longer as effective as it needs to be. Type 2 is obv the one that people worry about more as can be brought on by poor diet etc.

As long as you're healthy (which you must be to be able to cycle for 3 or 4 hours without needing food) and eat a balanced diet you'll be producing the correct amount of insulin so your blood sugar level is unlikely to see massive changes. I wouldn't recommend cycling so long without food though as your body will have to find alternate energy sources which is likely to be protein in your muscle (when respiring anerobically) which is obviously not desirable!

Rich.

P.S. If anyone knows this to be incorrect please correct me as i don't want to be passing on incorrect information! :?
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    MabBee wrote:
    Does anyone know if such methods could lead to diabetes. .

Nah, don't worry about it. Exercise actually lowers the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.

However, riding without taking any food on board won't necessarily, "harden you against the bonk" to a great degree. Your body needs fuel during a 3-4 hour ride, so why not just supply it in the form of a delicious breakfast?

PS: that's a good, concise description of diabetes, Mask of Sanity.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>