Charge Blender build

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    edited July 2009
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

Get ridda that mudguard though!! eurghhhhh!!!

It was muddy as hell though :shock: :lol:

wimp :P :twisted:

Right thats it :roll: - I'm going out right now to get muddy :P

( At least I can ride in the wet without falling off) :twisted:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    The crud catcher's fine as it's one of the few mudguards available that actually seems to add to a bikes looks, but the rear fender one is awful and it's bright RED not exactly stealth or in keeping with your frame!

Awesome looking bike though.
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

Get ridda that mudguard though!! eurghhhhh!!!

It was muddy as hell though :shock: :lol:

wimp :P :twisted:

Right thats it :roll: - I'm going out right now to get muddy :P

( At least I can ride in the wet without falling off) :twisted:

:lol::D

I reckon a neo-guard would look good on the front of there... but then again crudcatchers are great.

(I did mean that the red on looked a bit plop, not the crudcatcher)
  • Whytepeak
    HandjobDan
    The red crud fender thing isn't very subtle I have to admit :oops: , but it was the only one in the garage this morning. :x

bigbenj_08
    Neo-guards sound brill, nothing like a facefull when you're riding down the trail :roll: .

Think I'll experiment with bits of innertube and zipties.

p.s - where do you get zipties?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • halfrauds... but they're bloody expensive! :shock:
  • Whytepeak
    Sans mudguard :)

img0405b.jpg

Quad brake, new cassette...
    img0404o.jpg

Sunline bars, zocchi forks...
    img0403o.jpg
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Whytepeak wrote:

p.s - where do you get zipties?

Go on to amazon and search for zip ties. I got 500 for 3 qud a few months back .
    They come in different colours (like red), so you can match them with your mudguard :wink:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Whytepeak
    :lol:

Thanks I may check that out. Managed to scavenge some zip ties in the mean time.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    just joined but not so new to mtb so hi all ! :)

Whytepeak - I was just wondering - isn't a charge blender a jump frame?

If so, why have you set it up for XC?
  • Whytepeak
    compo

It is a dual slalom / 4x frame, so yes, it is designed with air - time in mind. Although as mentioned, the parts on the frame came from a Dawes Edge xc bike.

I've got an xc bike so the blender is used for mucking about in the woods and jumping. I'm pretty sure that the XC parts on the frame are up to it though. The fork weighs more than a Pike anyway :shock:
  • Whytepeak
    New parts on the way... nowt wrong with a 6 month gap in building progress.

New wheels and stem on the way, should complete the build to a high standard :lol: .
  • Whytepeak
    edited January 2010
    New wheels... :D

img0502altered.jpg

img0503t.jpg
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    lovely chimney

those wheels look really nice 8)
  • Whytepeak
    Thanks Jay, just need a front brake now, then I'm away... :D
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    Oh aye, forgot about that rotor :P
  • Whytepeak
    StealTheR wrote:
    Oh aye, forgot about that rotor :P

Doh, so did I - and I've got one on order now :( .

Would cancel, but it is Brooksy after all, I'll see what mood he is in when I next go :roll: .
  • Nice wheels whytepeak, what hubs did you go for?

Can I ask what made you choose those rims?
  • Whytepeak
    Nice wheels whytepeak, what hubs did you go for?

Hubs are Shimano XT 6 bolt thingamajigs (because I like proper bearings).

Spokes are DTSwiss butted 1.8-2.0

Chose the rims, if I'm honest, because mavics were sold out at CRC, but these seemed the best second option, with many favourable reviews.
    I've no regrets though as they look bloody ace, and come in lighter than my old ones :D .
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    Nice wheels whytepeak, what hubs did you go for?

Hubs are Shimano XT 6 bolt thingamajigs (because I like proper bearings).

Spokes are DTSwiss butted 1.8-2.0

Chose the rims, if I'm honest, because mavics were sold out at CRC, but these seemed the best second option, with many favourable reviews.
    I've no regrets though as they look bloody ace, and come in lighter than my old ones :D .

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm looking into wheels for my build at the moment so I am interested in other peeps weapon of choice :D
  • Whytepeak
    Da Mighty Chicken No problem. :) .

Update time - I've put the wheels on ( I work fast :roll: ), just waiting on a front disc brake, and contemplating routing it through the fork steerer, hmmmm, pics to follow.
  • Whytepeak wrote:

Update time - I've put the wheels on ( I work fast :roll: ), just waiting on a front disc brake, and contemplating routing it through the fork steerer, hmmmm, pics to follow.
    Errr.... Did you forget about the top-cap, which effectively holds the headset bearings tight together...???

Unless you have a Cannondale lefty fork, you'll need the top-cap on, so your forks don't fall out first time you pop a wheelie...! :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Whytepeak wrote:

Errr.... Did you forget about the top-cap, which effectively holds the headset bearings tight together...???

Unless you have a Cannondale lefty fork, you'll need the top-cap on, so your forks don't fall out first time you pop a wheelie...! :wink:

Not if you have one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23953

:wink:
  • Whytepeak
    edited February 2010
    Whytepeak wrote:

Not if you have one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23953

:wink:

Yeah, I will try drilling it, otherwise I might not bother... the top cap isn't what keeps the fork on surely, it just tensions the bearing, you could take it of after you had tightened the stem bolts up? (not that I would but, you know...)
  • It doesn't keep the forks on persay, just preloads the bearings, the stem tightened up is enough to keep the forks on

Although I wouldnt want to be riding around without one
  • Whytepeak
    Ok thanks Cheese, I'll see what happens on the day, I may just get a bucket load of cable and come up with my own solution to barspin problems :wink: (trail and error :lol: )
  • Whytepeak
    edited February 2010
    Finished :D

img0539m.jpg

img0540l.jpg

20 seconds later :evil:

img0541o.jpg
  • Good work man, very nice 8)

Is there a story to the bottom pic? :lol:

Where were the pics taken?
  • Whytepeak
    Cheers :)

Pics were taken on the north face trail, at grizedale forest.

I got 2 punctures, bent the rear disc, and ended up walking quite a long way... :roll:
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    Cheers :)

Pics were taken on the north face trail, at grizedale forest.

I got 2 punctures, bent the rear disc, and ended up walking quite a long way... :roll:

Ouch, not good.

Apart from that how did the wheels hold out?
  • Whytepeak
    The wheels are great :D

I've been riding them pretty hard (for me :lol: ) and after landing a few drops badly, feeling the rims bottom out on the rocks, and riding like an idiot, they are still nice and true, and the rims haven't got a mark on them.