post-race hat-wearing?

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
Hi,

I have it on good authority that wearing a wooly hat after a race is essential for improved recovery... Anyone else heard that one?

Andy

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    No.

Post shower when I get home I do dress warmly though. never heard anything about wearing a hat though...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    I wear a thin beanie after racing, but I'm thin on top and it stops me cooling down too quickly. Not sure it helps me recover but I don't get chilly :)
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    Peaked hats improve recovery further still
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Sombrero usually does it for me. I've noticed far less lactic acid build-up with this method, which I'm assured also zaps those nasty free radicals.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Hi,

I have it on good authority that wearing a wooly hat after a race is essential for improved recovery... Anyone else heard that one?

Andy

Did a triathlete tell you that? I suppose as long as it's a special triathlete post ride recovery hat, then it will probably make a difference. Especially if there is a cool logo on the side, maybe make it out of compression material for extra credibility.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The science behind it is that if you wear a really tight beany hat, it forces all the blood from your head down into your legs, hence aiding recovery. Possibly.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Bronzie wrote:
    The science behind it is that if you wear a really tight beany hat, it forces all the blood from your head down into your legs, hence aiding recovery. Possibly.

:lol:
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Bronzie wrote:

Anyone buying that one probably doesn't have too much blood in their head anyway... :wink:
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    IIRC I read of a study that the usual claim that 60% (or whatever) of body heat loss is through the head is in fact complete tosh!

The head looses exactly the same % of heat as it % of the body's overall surface.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    BigG67 wrote:
    IIRC I read of a study that the usual claim that 60% (or whatever) of body heat loss is through the head is in fact complete tosh!

The head looses exactly the same % of heat as it % of the body's overall surface.
    Hmmm, maybe so for a naked horizontal person, but as we know, heat rises, and also the head is likely to be unclothed (unless you wear a hat) and has a copious blood supply under skin with (usually) very little in the way of fat.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    alfablue wrote:
    BigG67 wrote:

Hmmm, maybe so for a naked horizontal person, but as we know, heat rises, and also the head is likely to be unclothed (unless you wear a hat) and has a copious blood supply under skin with (usually) very little in the way of fat.

I'm not so sure. I seem to know quite a few "fatheads". Present company not included, of course. :wink::wink:
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I have a dimpled wooly hat that I use on the bike and a non-dimpled one for recovery.
  • do the dimples make you more aero, like the ones on Zipp wheels?
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Andy, from your picture, looks like you should wear the hat, race or no race! Had to be said, sorry! :D
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    alfablue wrote:
    BigG67 wrote:

Yep, that's why I stick the beanie on, means I don't cool down too quickly. You keep the rest of your body warm after a ride, so keeping you noggin warm too makes sense too.
  • AndyRubio
    boneyjoe wrote:
    Andy, from your picture, looks like you should wear the hat, race or no race! Had to be said, sorry! :D
    :o heh heh yes normally I have a drag-over Bobby Charlton-style: 2293639462_50c7881ea2_m.jpg

I heard the theory about hats via several chains down the line from a cycling coach who I believe is in his 80s. It contradicts the current "have a post-race ice bath" theory.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    AndyRubio wrote:
    It contradicts the current "have a post-race ice bath" theory.
    You put your head in an ice bath after a race :shock: - now that is hardcore! :wink:

Sounds along the lines of the "10 Commandments" that Robert Millar used to advise - don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lie down, don't ride in a car with the window open or you'll get a chill, change out of sweaty damp kit asap or you'll get a chill etc. etc.

Some of these are probably old wives tales although most make good sense.
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    2293639462_50c7881ea2_m.jpg
    £4.10 for an ordinary coffee?

Holy smokes, what a rip off!!! :lol:
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    OK not quite the most definitive of references but.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7789302.stm
  • AndyRubio
    the extraordinary coffee was well worth twenty quid