The Clean Gang

2»

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Bakunin wrote:
    Sandy Casar and Wiggins -- everyone else, I'm not betting the house.

The only rider I'd bet the house on is me, and my performances prove it. :lol:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    dulldave wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    1. In Spain he has the nickname "Don Limpio" - roughly translated as "Mr Clean" (it actually the brand name of a household cleaner)

Isn't being called "Mr Clean" in Spain a bit like being called "Mr Tall" in Lilliput?

Exactly. Just because 'people' (who are these people by the way?) call him that, it doesn't really mean a thing.

OK, so why shouldn't I believe he's curently clean?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    What's simoni ever done (coke aside) to raise suspicions? He was anonympus in his early career, showed steady progression thereafter, won 2 giros in the manner one would expecxt from a 62kg climber and then got dicked on by the bassos and garzellis of this world.

Never spoke out, never linked to any dodgy doctors though... and offered simioni a job too. I always point to his 2003 tour performance... he always has one horrible day, as evidence he certainly wasn't playing with the same abandon as a landis.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    You are kidding aren't you disgruntledgoat? Simoni clean? If you believe that I've a bridge you might be interested in. :wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I've got some old rope too :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Never spoke out, never linked to any dodgy doctors though... and offered simioni a job too. I always point to his 2003 tour performance... he always has one horrible day, as evidence he certainly wasn't playing with the same abandon as a landis.

I think his coach when he were young was Dr Ferrari.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The bottom line is that no-one on here really knows anything and it's all based on hunches.

There are a few riders who have serious question marks over them (Valverde, Kloden, Menchov, etc), but beyond that it's guesswork.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    It may be guesswork but a lot of it is educated guesswork.

If a pro rider contracts a preparatore like Ferrari or Cecchini then, given their history and track records, it's almost certain that the rider is doping. Why else would you pay such large amounts of money to someone who's expertise is in blood manipulation, EPO dosages and the like?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    It may be guesswork but a lot of it is educated guesswork.

If a pro rider contracts a preparatore like Ferrari or Cecchini then, given their history and track records, it's almost certain that the rider is doping. Why else would you pay such large amounts of money to someone who's expertise is in blood manipulation, EPO dosages and the like?

For the ones who have proven links, then sure - but a lot of it is "I think he briefly worked with so and so" or worse, "he rode for such and such a team" and people are willing to condemn them.

No-one on here is involved in pro cycling (as far as I know), so most of their opinions on who is doping are fairly meaningless without some decent evidence.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    are people just making guesses ? are you all just basing it on whos had the least speculation about them doping???
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    are people just making guesses ? are you all just basing it on whos had the least speculation about them doping???
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Its a bit like that pub game seven ways to Kevin Bacon? On here.

But its seven ways to Dr Ferrari???
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    jimycooper wrote:

As I recall, the OP was about who's clean not who's doping. And we're struggling to be confident about many people. Quite understandable too.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    chavanel
  • Kléber
    Chavanel's team mate Jerome Pineau too.
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    For the ones who have proven links, then sure - but a lot of it is "I think he briefly worked with so and so" or worse, "he rode for such and such a team" and people are willing to condemn them.

No-one on here is involved in pro cycling (as far as I know), so most of their opinions on who is doping are fairly meaningless without some decent evidence.
    Let's be honest, since the Festina scandal in 1998, when evidence of wholescale team doping programs first emerged, cycling has failed to turn the corner. Year after year after year more big names are linked to doping stories and there follows a drip by drip process of denial, followed by claim, followed by counter claim that usually ends up with the conviction of that big name for doping.

The sport may be getting cleaner, and I genuinely hope it is, but the last 10 years have seen evidence of widespread doping at all levels of the sport. Franky, I'm astonished that people have any faith in professionals cyclist still. Any benefit of doubt they've received before has been proven to be mis-placed. My view is that they are all doping, which is a cynical view, but I'd rather watch from that perspective than build up hope in any individual rider.

As to your last point, I don't work in professional cycling but I do have good friends who do. On the whole, they despair too at the behaviour of most team managers and riders. It's a sorry state of affairs.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    What is the word on Ballan? Apart from the dose of herpes he has, does he visit doctors for "other" reasons?

Bennati is too catholic to cheat.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Bakunin wrote:
    That's funny!
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Bakunin wrote:
    You're joking, right?

You know what group is extremely underrepresented in american prisons? Atheists.
  • Kléber
    Bakunin wrote:
    Davide Rebellin is so pious he's said several times that had he not become a professional cyclist, he'd have become a priest.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949

Yeah, and Landis is too amish to cheat
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I think Bakunin may have been being a bit sarcastic there.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    John would be correct.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Well with a name like yours it was an educated guess. :wink:
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    Is Cadel not clean then ?... he always looks so knackered, I can't beleive he's not clean !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mgcycleguy wrote:
    Is Cadel not clean then ?... he always looks so knackered, I can't beleive he's not clean !

No reflection on Cadel, but did you ever see Kohl at the end of a mountain stage?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.