The Clean Gang

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited June 2009 in Pro race
As an aside to the relentless doping stories - bound to be a handfull on monday and more as we get closer to the TdF- (boy did Lemond depress me today!)

Who do we think currently rides clean?

My knowledge of this is as small as my list:
Wiggins
Millar
(all of Garmin)
Cav
Pinotti
Cunego
Evans?
Basso
Dan Lloyd
Voekler (sic)
Voigt
Boasson-Hargon
Gerdemann
Lokvist?
most of the french
all the brits

'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Gilbert

Out of interest, what made you include Voigt in the list?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:

Out of interest, what made you include Voigt in the list?

+1
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Sastre
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Landis
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Hushovd. Could have gone for a bigger team, but instead stayed with a small French team with a reputation for anti-doping mentality.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    josame wrote:
    Who do we think currently rides clean?

all the brits

is there a particular reason why you think a British rider would not take PEDs ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    josame - you're just setting youself up for disappointment.

History shows that if you were to write this list down, then dig it out again in 5 years time you'd have to score several names off your list.

Cheers, Andy
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    to be honest it's just curiosity around who other people think are clean - being a fan of cycling has readied me for anything 5 years hence or otherwise

Voigt - from another thread i heard he made sounds about being clean (also it mentions it on wiki) ....90's rider so inclined to think he has history but maybe clean now

who else does that apply to....
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    johnfinch wrote:
    Hushovd. Could have gone for a bigger team, but instead stayed with a small French team with a reputation for anti-doping mentality.

Cervelo is a small French team? That's news to me!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Sastre
  • sastre, cunego, wiggo
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Pokerface wrote:

And who'd he ride for before Cervelo?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    David Moncoutie - won't even take vitamin tablets - "If I want vitamin C, I'll eat an orange"

Into his new age remedies. Complete hippy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Garry H wrote:
    Sastre

Hell no. Why do people think Sastre is clean?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Garry H wrote:
    Sastre

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    David Millar I believe is clean...he's good without stuff...I heard some awful rumours about two English speaking riders from a friend of a Brit who was there and races at the highgest level in the UK...so is close enough to rumour to know..
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Dave_1 wrote:
    David Millar I believe is clean...he's good without stuff...I heard some awful rumours about two English speaking riders from a friend of a Brit who was there and races at the highgest level in the UK...so is close enough to rumour to know..
    "Awful rumours" as in:
    1) they are transfusing blood from imprisoned cloned children who never feel the warmth of the sun on their faces; or
    2) they are two English speaking riders who everyone assumes are clean?
  • Pokerface
    I would think that most of the folks that have been busted once before are now riding clean. Obviously, as we've seen with cases like Tyler Hamilton, this doesn't always hold true.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pokerface wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Credit Agricole!!!! And I was using small relatively.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Oh alright, I'll do it then;

ARMSTRONG

:wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    It's quite sad that I now presume them to be doping unless I see or hear something to convince me otherwise. My list is quite small.

Wiggins
    Millar
    Cunego

If I were to bet money on the next big dissapointment, it would be Cancellara.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Pokerface wrote:
    I would think that most of the folks that have been busted once before are now riding clean. Obviously, as we've seen with cases like Tyler Hamilton, this doesn't always hold true.

I wish I had your faith. Sadly I have no confidence in the likes of Di Luca, Simoni etc.

Cunego might well be clean now. Even Basso may have stopped thinking about doping. :lol:

Millar, Wiggins and the rest of Garmin probably cleanbut I can't help thinking VDVs improvement is too good to be true.

Dulldave, I wouldn't bother placing that bet. You'd get terrible odds.... :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Timoid. wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Sastre

1. In Spain he has the nickname "Don Limpio" - roughly translated as "Mr Clean" (it actually the brand name of a household cleaner)

2. He firmly believes that doping caused Jiminez's depression and death, and has publically said so.

3. He's 33 now and has never had the slightest bit of evidence levelled at him (other than guilt by association, which you may indulge in, but I don't)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    RichN95 wrote:
    1. In Spain he has the nickname "Don Limpio" - roughly translated as "Mr Clean" (it actually the brand name of a household cleaner)

Isn't being called "Mr Clean" in Spain a bit like being called "Mr Tall" in Lilliput?
  • Pokerface
    By 'clean' - do we mean nothing 'illegal' at all?

Or are there levels of clean? (Like autologous transfusions - against the rules, but not strictly 'doping').

Personally - I assume that they are ALL using some help. Except for the guys that consistently finish in the bottom 50. :)
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    If Mark Cavendish ever turns out to have taken PEDs I will never watch another second of professional bike racing, I'm that confident he's clean....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • dulldave
    RichN95 wrote:

Isn't being called "Mr Clean" in Spain a bit like being called "Mr Tall" in Lilliput?

Exactly. Just because 'people' (who are these people by the way?) call him that, it doesn't really mean a thing.
  • dulldave
    greeny12 wrote:
    If Mark Cavendish ever turns out to have taken PEDs I will never watch another second of professional bike racing, I'm that confident he's clean....

I used to be. But he's recently changed the way he talks about it. I'm not saying he's not clean, I'm just not as confident as I once was.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Some people say they take what Kohl said with a pinch of salt. But how wrong is he when all this thread can give is half a dozen names ( and even then with question marks next to them) and a couple of french teams.

Maybe they should go the whole hog and let anything go? Save a lot of people getting disapointed.

Can you imaging the post race interview? Race winner- Yea I'd like to thank my team and the boss for his call on the tactics, also thanks Smith Klein Glaxxco for the supply of EPO for todays stage. Really kept me on the pace today.

Interviewer - And what about tomorrows stage?

Winner - Well tomorrow is another difficult stage so I'll probably use some Pilzer testosterone patches and some of the blood I banked with Johnson & Johnson.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Sandy Casar and Wiggins -- everyone else, I'm not betting the house.