Colom Busted

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited June 2009 in Pro race
For EPO

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/jun09/jun09news3

I wonder if he had that 5x salary clause in his contract?
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    It is frightening the number of ex Bruyneel charges get busted within a couple of years of leaving his organisation.

Toni Colom. Who knew?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Did Pfannberger ever ride for Bruyneel?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    the Spanish federation say that he was targetted with the help of the biological passport. Shows Kohl up a bit.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited June 2009
    I remember him winning in the 2007 Dauphine, when Astana were all over the race in an outrageous manner which was partly explained when Vino was busted a few weeks later. There were rumours early this year about him, they've caught up with him it seems.

He was tested on 2 April with team mate Pfannberger getting busted on 19 March. Who is the team doctor? I wonder if they'll net Ivanov next?
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    johnfinch wrote:
    the Spanish federation say that he was targetted with the help of the biological passport. Shows Kohl up a bit.

Unfortunately Kohl has his own axe to grind
  • Kléber
    Of course but his points are still valid. It might require a pinch of salt but people need to learn from Kohl's case.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Maybe.........or more than likely, the management had word of this.
    Hence the new contract.

Trying to preempt any fallout, such as a withdrawn TDF invite?

Colom certainly had to shoulder much of the team's GT aspirations.

Better off spending some of their large amount of roubles on one of those nice, tidy medic programmes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The Prodigy
    Kléber wrote:
    Of course but his points are still valid. It might require a pinch of salt but people need to learn from Kohl's case.

I agree, but his credibility is shot if you ask me.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Kléber wrote:

+1
  • Kléber
    Well I don't think anyone is looking for him to become the new WADA boss. If I was running the UCI I'd just dispatch a couple of officials to meet him, a sort of debriefing if you like. It can be done confidentially or with a lawyer present but the point is to get his version of things, not to simply pretend Kohl's some isolated rider. He was doing what many, many others were doing, ie blood doping, he simply had the misfortune to take CERA and get caught.
  • The Prodigy
    Kléber wrote:
    Well I don't think anyone is looking for him to become the new WADA boss. If I was running the UCI I'd just dispatch a couple of officials to meet him, a sort of debriefing if you like. It can be done confidentially or with a lawyer present but the point is to get his version of things, not to simply pretend Kohl's some isolated rider. He was doing what many, many others were doing, ie blood doping, he simply had the misfortune to take CERA and get caught.

Absolutely, thats what should be done, unfortunately it won't. What we will get is statements like the ones in the last couple of days from a discredited witness.

I'd lke to see him ride again, clean as a whistle, dying on every climb. I tend to think that highlights the problem best to some fans
  • diarmuid
    diarmuid Posts: 73
    What we will get is statements like the ones in the last couple of days from a discredited witness.
    Are you holding out for some doper who has not been lying for their entire careers?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    So, the only credible peloton witness, according to apologists of a certain persuasion, is one who confesses the his misdeeds and those of his contemporaries, but:
    a) Has never tested positive
    b) Has FBI quality survelence tapes
    c) Doesn't whistleblow on Team Fanb........

No wonder it's so hard to challenge Omerta.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The Prodigy
    diarmuid wrote:
    What we will get is statements like the ones in the last couple of days from a discredited witness.
    Are you holding out for some doper who has not been lying for their entire careers?

I'm not, but those that preach everyday on this forum about the number of dopers out there need him to nail their case.
  • The Prodigy
    So, the only credible peloton witness, according to apologists of a certain persuasion, is one who confesses the his misdeeds and those of his contemporaries, but:
    a) Has never tested positive
    b) Has FBI quality survelence tapes
    c) Doesn't whistleblow on Team Fanb........

No wonder it's so hard to challenge Omerta.

Yes, do you think some people on this forum would accept anything else?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Does this mean the team will not start the Tour de Suisse?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Pfannberger and Colom: I thought it was three riders to get busted before the UCI rules mean the team can't start. Am I missing someone? Not that they enforced it last year with Lampre after a trio of drugs busts there.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    edited June 2009
    Kléber wrote:
    It might require a pinch of salt but people need to learn from Kohl's case.
    I disagree. Kohl was speaking from his own experience which shows that, if it had not been for the new CERA test, he would in all probability been able to continue to dope and get away with it irrespective of the passports scheme.

The UCI say that Colom was targeted with the help of the passports scheme but this might well just another example of the UCI 'talking up' their pet scheme. Perhaps Colom's team were simply slack in the way they managed their doping and with a bit more care they could have kept 'within the parameters', if indeed it was such a variation that led to him been tested. Also, Colom has been busted for Epo use, so his 'bust' does nothing to undermine Kohl's claims regarding the undetectability of blood doping.

What's more, even if someone does make a minor error or overstatement somewhere this certainly does not meant that everything they say can be discounted.
  • iainf72
    Toni on this whole terrible misunderstanding

http://www.tonicolom.es/

Sounds like he's got Howard Jacobs on the case.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Why don't bookies give odds on this kind of thing?

Much easier to call than the TdF.
  • iainf72
    aurelio wrote:
    The UCI say that Colom was targeted with the help of the passports scheme but this might well just another example of the UCI 'talking up' their pet scheme.

Mr Pot.
    aurelio wrote:
    What's more, even if someone does make a minor error or overstatement somewhere this certainly does not meant that everything they say can be discounted.

May I introduce Mr Kettle? You seem to dismiss everything the UCI say because of Hein and Pat.
  • Could someone post a translation of Colom's comments please?
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    I believe he says it must've been something he ate, like those funny sweets his Auntie brought back from her holiday in South America. Or actually he might be saying it was his dog, I can't tell my Spanish isn't too good :wink:
  • iainf72 wrote:
    You seem to dismiss everything the UCI say because of Hein and Pat.
    Who to all intents and purposes appear to be the UCI! (Has anyone heard of what Gripper is up to in recent times?). Also, the likes of Verbruggen and McQuaid can hardly be said to make 'minor errors'. 'Consistently and blatantly attempt to preserve the omerta, criticise those who speak out against doping and protect certain powerful figures in cycling' would be nearer the mark!
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    Oh and I was interested to read Robbie McEwen's comments on CN earlier, regarding his "refusal" to sign Katusha's new anti-doping contract. Basically he said other riders hadn't signed too, including Joan Horrach and Colom...now I wonder why he hadn't signed up!
  • iainf72
    aurelio wrote:
    Who to all intents and purposes appear to be the UCI! (Has anyone heard of what Gripper is up to in recent times?). Also, the likes of Verbruggen and McQuaid can hardly be said to make 'minor errors'. 'Consistently and blatantly attempt to preserve the omerta, criticise those who speak out against doping and protect certain powerful figures in cycling' would be nearer the mark!

Ann is working away in the background.

Lets keep some perspective here, the UCI have caught a lot of the big names. If the passport data helped them target their testing and get someone for a normal PED then that's good.
  • Kléber
    iainf72 wrote:
    Ann is working away in the background.
    Yes, I've heard recently that she's been on the bio passport case for some time and has been working with a range of people, labs and lawyers to ensure that when the cases are revealed, they are watertight and not the usual flakey standard we've come to expect from the UCI. At her insistence several riders have been told that Gripper is on to them and this has destabilised them to the point where some have developed mystery illnesses whilst others have been a shadow of their past performances.

As I've said on here before, the bio passport is not a magic solution but it's not a empty either. There are questions about the UCI's persistent willingness to shoot the messenger instead of really tackling the scourge of doping but some are taking the necessary steps forward.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    Colom's statement, losely translated thanks to the 'wonders' (?) of babelfish.
    In afternoon from 8 of June yesterday I received notification of the UCI with reference to a nonnegative control realised outside competition day 2 of April. The UCI has decided to suspend to me by the presence of a substance provisionally that is not including specifically in the list of prohibitions of the 2009. This suspension will stay until it does not determine if there is violation, or no, of the rules anti-doping. Rejection fully the accusation of to have consumed EPO nor another type of dopantes substances and is why my group of lawyers is working in my defense and as first measurement we have asked for the analysis of sample B. Also we want to make public who the urine sample was sent to the laboratory past the 24 hours of the taking of the sample, which arrived without seal according to takes shelter in the certificate of the analysis sent by the laboratory of State Agency Antidopaje with soothes in Madrid. In the same way that has asked for the con analysis, also all the documentation regarding the analysis of the test has been asked for To, to be able to verify that all the process has been realised correctly and has not existed any alteration of the sample. The reason of the doubts that generates east analysis to us is not unfounded; after the Return to Algarve 2009 I received a threatening call with hidden number saying that it was going to give positive. This call returned to repeat itself after my action in Paris Nize. During the beginning of Giro 2009, a rumor between the sport means extended, in which it said that it had given positive; this news communicates me Pipe Go'mez, president of the Association of Professional Cyclists, which had received this information on the part of Josu Garay, of the Daily Mark, which did not want to mention its source. This information and the previous calls were informed of the UCI and of the direction of my equipment and after several days of investigation the UCI determined that everything was false and unfounded and that everything was correct, and informed my own director to me Andrey Tchemil of which everything is well, and is then when I inform to Josu Garay into which everything was unfounded. And it is by this series of events that is beginning a new process of investigation on the part of my lawyers. Now it is not more than to hope, either to the con analysis, or that the UCI takes care of our allegations, so that rises the provisional suspension and that all this situation is clarified.
  • The Prodigy
    aurelio wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    It might require a pinch of salt but people need to learn from Kohl's case.
    I disagree. Kohl was speaking from his own experience which shows that, if it had not been for the new CERA test, he would in all probability been able to continue to dope and get away with it irrespective of the passports scheme.

The UCI say that Colom was targeted with the help of the passports scheme but this might well just another example of the UCI 'talking up' their pet scheme. Perhaps Colom's team were simply slack in the way they managed their doping and with a bit more care they could have kept 'within the parameters', if indeed it was such a variation that led to him been tested. Also, Colom has been busted for Epo use, so his 'bust' does nothing to undermine Kohl's claims regarding the undetectability of blood doping.

I totally agree with what you are saying about the validity of what he is saying, but just like people discredit Kimmage as having an axe to grind, they will say the same of Kohl because he's only full of it after he got caught.
  • 'The professional cycling body won't admit their sport is dying of cancer. They will admit to a sore toe but not a cancer.' Paul Kimmage Rough Ride 1998.

As far as I can see that still sums up the UCI.