Kohl confession in L'equipe

2»

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Latest from AFP:

"Doping: Bernhard Kohl to sue L'Equipe, claims he was misquoted in interview, never referred to "top 10 riders in the TDF" AFP
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    a "made up" smear campaign, that gets him exactly nowhere.
    The only benefit to be found, is in the confession itself, so to spin lies around it, would simply be turning one lie into another.
    Surely, if there's a credibility issue, it lies elsewhere?

not quite nowhere BS. It gets him a long way in fact:what he says makes him look less bad. It's much better to be the one cheat amongst many cheats who was unlucky enough to get caught than to be the only cheat.

And I'm sure he believes it 100% whether it's true or not. It's what he told himself everytime he doped: everyone else is doing it so it's OK. But as Dennis says, even if they are all at it, it's laughable to think they're discussing it with each other.

And if you believed that everyone was cheating, and you got caught, what would you say? It's like speeding on the motorway. We all drive over 70 sometimes, and we all know we'd feel hard done by if we got stopped because everyone else is doing it. Then every now and then someone is stopped. And, like Kohl, they say "everyone else did it too".
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    All I know is that this really stinks. It is now impossible to fully enjoy any race result, because we cannot know whether the winner was clean. I don't know whether to believe Kohl about the top 10 at the Tour or not, as he does not indicate personal knowledge on the subject, but it's difficult to say that he is surely wrong.

It's not just cycling. It's all sports. All you can do is watch it, enjoy it for what it is, cheer for the home team, and if it turns out for the worst, at least you enjoyed it at the time.
    It would appear that "control" is being ,at the very least, attempted. Not much more can be done by you and I short of voicing you concerns(if you wish) and or actually going to work for the "control" people. There will always be cheaters in any "game".
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    Sure, but if Kohl is even partly right most of the peloton has embraced or at least protected organized cheating for years. That means it's not an isolated case of a cheater, but the integrity of the entire endeavor. Apart, of course, from those who are clean. Which is the real tragedy here. We just can't be sure who they are.