ASO / UCI anti-doping press conference on Wednesday

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Any guesses?

Maybe "The following riders will not be entitled to start due to odd passports"

A guy can dream, can't he?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Could just be a love-in, "we're going to work together, the AFLD is on board and the UCI has validated the process".

But I've heard a few juicy rumours that just keep getting louder and louder :wink:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    They will probably only confirm a ban for the Mekon again.

Although has anyone gotten sick/tendonitis recently? Any third time glandular fever attacks?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Come on Kleber you can't say something like that and not throw us a few scraps

make it as cryptic as you like :wink:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Probably announce they are setting up a chapter, for after stage support meetings.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I have it on good authority that the press conference is to announce that the bio passport is about to go live and the first positives are going to be announced in the next few days or weeks :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm intrigued...
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    I have it on good authority that the press conference is to announce that the bio passport is about to go live and the first positives are going to be announced in the next few days or weeks :lol:

Yeah, isn't it tradition they announce them during July or something?
  • Ah! blood passports, otherwise known as the doper's friend...

The International Cycling Union 's (UCI) biological passport failed prevent Kohl from practicing blood doping on a regular basis during his career, he said. "The top riders are so professional in their doping that they know very well they have to keep their blood values stable not to be detected. The UCI sent us the values resulting from the controls: we thus referred to those to mark the next ones. In a way, the passport almost helped us."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... jun09news2
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    a really good time trialist has been really really quiet
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Dave_1 wrote:
    a really good time trialist has been really really quiet

i've noticed that too.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    So there could be a long faced TTer tomorrow?
  • Kléber
    A farcical lane ban?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:
    A farcical lane ban?

Fabian!? :shock:
  • blazing_saddles
    Gazetta dello Sport: Prudhomme not having Valverde at his party.......
  • Colom suspended for EPO positive

Team Katusha's Antonio Colom has been provisionally suspended by the UCI following a positive test for recombinant EPO. The sport's governing body announced Tuesday that Colom returned the positive test following an out-of-competition control on April 2, 209. He was targeted for additional controls using information from his blood profile and his race schedule, the UCI said.

Colom is the second rider from the team to test positive. Austrian Christian Pfannberger was declared positive on May 6 this year. The UCI later confirmed that he was found positive for EPO.

Colom is allowed to request the counter-analysis of his B-sample, and his suspension will remain provisional until the Spanish Cycling Federation decides whether he has violated the anti-doping rules.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... jun09news3
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    aurelio wrote:
    Ah! blood passports, otherwise known as the doper's friend...

The International Cycling Union 's (UCI) biological passport failed prevent Kohl from practicing blood doping on a regular basis during his career, he said. "The top riders are so professional in their doping that they know very well they have to keep their blood values stable not to be detected. The UCI sent us the values resulting from the controls: we thus referred to those to mark the next ones. In a way, the passport almost helped us."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... jun09news2

On the + side the Spanish federation say that it helped get Colom:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves20 ... sitif.html
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Kléber wrote:
    Could just be a love-in, "we're going to work together, the AFLD is on board and the UCI has validated the process".

But I've heard a few juicy rumours that just keep getting louder and louder :wink:

The dreaded rumour mill, it must be true, burn them at the stake
  • Kléber
    Right, McQuaid's said a list is coming out next week, probably Monday, the riders on it will be informed and soon after the teams and national federations concerned will get the news.

EDIT: some confusion over whether the UCI will go after the riders or just expect the teams to suspend them. Latest info says there will be disciplinary action from the UCI.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:
    Right, McQuaid's said a list is coming out next week, probably Monday, the riders on it will be informed and soon after the teams and national federations concerned will get the news.

EDIT: some confusion over whether the UCI will go after the riders or just expect the teams to suspend them. Latest info says there will be disciplinary action from the UCI.

The article I just read said "However, McQuaid said that it is not possible to sanction a rider on the basis of findings from the biological passport system. "When we open these cases next week there is no provisional suspension, so it'll be up to the teams to decided what to do with the riders."

So - unless there are some solid doping cases in there - isn't this just a name and shame exercise?
  • Kléber
    This is what cyclingnews.com says:
    "The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced that it will be taking disciplinary action against an undisclosed number of professional riders whose biological passports have shown abnormal results, at a press conference in Paris on Wednesday.

"The riders will be informed early next week," said UCI president Pat McQuaid, according to AFP. "We will inform their teams and national federations. We will [then] name the riders and will start disciplinary proceedings against them."

McQuaid did not reveal the names of the riders involved nor the teams effected. Sources within the UCI have indicated that the names of riders could emerge on Monday of next week.

McQuaid went on to explain that the UCI would not itself be suspending the named riders, instead leaving it to teams to decide what action should be taken immediately against their riders. "There will be no provisional suspension. It will be up to the teams to decide what they do," said McQuaid.
    Confusing :?
  • Kléber wrote:
    This is what cyclingnews.com says:
    "The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced that it will be taking disciplinary action against an undisclosed number of professional riders whose biological passports have shown abnormal results, at a press conference in Paris on Wednesday.

"The riders will be informed early next week," said UCI president Pat McQuaid, according to AFP. "We will inform their teams and national federations. We will [then] name the riders and will start disciplinary proceedings against them."

McQuaid did not reveal the names of the riders involved nor the teams effected. Sources within the UCI have indicated that the names of riders could emerge on Monday of next week.

McQuaid went on to explain that the UCI would not itself be suspending the named riders, instead leaving it to teams to decide what action should be taken immediately against their riders. "There will be no provisional suspension. It will be up to the teams to decide what they do," said McQuaid.
    Confusing :?

Indeed. More fudge than a Cornish sweetshop. The subtext is that he will again be letting the tail wag the dog leaving it to DS's to decide if a named rider is worth defending or hanging out to dry.
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • blazing_saddles
    The way I read it is that the UCI will be taking action against the riders, after the disclosure process is complete.

The teams have the option of suspending named riders, or not, just as soon as they have been informed.

What disciplinary measures Pat is planning remains a mystery.
    As with all things UCI, their wheels will turn slowly.
  • iainf72
    McQuaid said 8 out of the top 10 from last years tour would not like Kohl's comments. The 2 who wouldnt' - Sastre and VDV.
  • diarmuid
    diarmuid Posts: 73
    iainf72 wrote:
    McQuaid said 8 out of the top 10 from last years tour would not like Kohl's comments. The 2 who wouldnt' - Sastre and VDV.
    Can you clarify this? I can't make out what this means?
    So 2 would like Kohl's statement?
    Does McQuaid think 8 are doping and the other 2 were clean?
    I'm confused... :oops:
  • iainf72
    Sorry, I mangled that a bit.

McQuaid said Sastre and VDV would be angered by Kohl's comments about the top 10. But only those 2 were mentioned.

Odd?

Or telling something?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sorry, I mangled that a bit.

McQuaid said Sastre and VDV would be angered by Kohl's comments about the top 10. But only those 2 were mentioned.

Odd?

Or telling something?

Perhaps he can't pronounce Tadej Valjavec ?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    The suspension bit is not that confusing, I think. The UCI will open proceedings against riders. If they are found guilty, the UCI will ban them.

Normally, the UCI suspends riders during the investigation into the doping case. Since there is no positive doping control, you can't really say there is a doping case until the end of judicial proceedings, so you can't suspend the riders in the meantime. The UCI must have no other legal option than to let the team do what it judges best in the meantime. Better than nothing...

Will we finally get some passport action? I'll believe it next week.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Anyone know what time the press conference is? Just wondering if there's any news yet....

Maybe we should start a PTP style thread for who's going to get busted. Anyone? :)
  • iainf72
    Edwin wrote:
    Anyone know what time the press conference is? Just wondering if there's any news yet....

Maybe we should start a PTP style thread for who's going to get busted. Anyone? :)

Er, read the thread, it will tell you what was said.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Duh, must have misread it. Looks like we'll have to wait till next week....