LardLover
LardLover Posts: 676
Shame about the email though :(

Never mind, I will be back next year, hope you are too :D

Comments

• wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    ditto, hope it warms up a bit

my first 100, so a bit anxious about it, if I can break 8 hours I'll be over the moon. Seriously considering a short break in Otterburn or Bellingham for some proper bait and Tesco at Kingston Park for breakfast looks good. Come to think of it, that pie shop in Rothbury will take some passing. ok, make that 10 hours

hoping for a gentle westerly. will make troughend and billsmoor tougher, but will make the hills after Bellingham more manageable when the tiredness is kicking in

good luck Lardy, any target time in mind ?
  • Good luck y'all. See you up there.

3554331462_533fcc93f9.jpg
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    Hey Wiffa and Lardy,

looks like we'll be in the same camp then (intent on survival!)

Keep your eye open for me - on a nice titanium Enigma, and wearing a red top with the Vodafone logo on it (should be the only person attired thusly!) - I'm sure I'll be finding a little ditch to "rest" in :oops:

Cheers,
    Chris
  • LardLover
    How-do chaps.

I'll be really happy if I get in under 8hrs. Planning on stopping at every feed station, in Elsdon, then probably having to stop at the top of every climb after Elsdon. When I stop at the top of every climb I do of course mean I'll have collapsed.

I didn't know Tesco's did breakfasts wiffa, I was thinking about a sausage and egg McMuffin from Macca-D's at Kingston Park as pre ride fuel :wink:

What you riding Rev\'d Gatlin?

I'll be on my baby, my creaking and clicking Parlee :oops: wearing either a roadcyclinguk top OR a nice new one from Solo if I can convince Wor Lass to get me one for my birthday (seems the trip to Paris for the end of the TdF is enough - we'll see :roll: ) and some white shorts 8) lookin' like a right Super-Fly-Guy :wink: . I'll be riding with 636Sean, my road riding pardner. He'll be on his Spesh with his shiny new Easton wheels (and his new tarty white top eh sean? 8) )

Planning on adding something a little bit special to my bike to help with the hills (No, not an engine :D ). It remains a secret until the day as it may not be happening :?:
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I'm in for 100 miler too. Not ridden up in Northumberland before so looking forward to it very much.
  • LardLover
    you'll love it hugo15, it's an absolutely gorgeous county, the route goes through the most scenic bits, imho of course, apart from the Lake District I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

:wink:
  • hugo15
    What are the climbs like?
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Doing the 62, and it's my first sportive so really looking forward to it. So if you see someone lying in the middle of the road tangled in a bike, don't worry, it's just me. :D
  • LardLover
    Hey hugo, the climbs aren't that bad................................... :shock:

Some are just lllloooonnnngggg.................

Worst ones, imho of course, are:

1. The one just before feed station 2, the climb up past Bilsmoor (?spelling?) - nice speedy decent down into Elsdon though :D

2. Out past Otterburn (after Elsdon), Troughend Common I think it's called - not steep, just long, and if there's a westerly wind it'll be a right See You Next Tuesday ( :wink: ).

3. The climb out past Bellingham (nicknamed Vomit Climb or something like that!), before feed station 3.

and finally, 4, there's the daddy, probably because you hit it at around the 80-85 mile mark. Lovingly called The Ryals, it's a stepped climb, the first bit hits a 30% gradient at one point if I'm correct :shock: :shock: :shock: that's always good for making you want to throw up. You can't see the second bit, but you will when you get over the top of the first. Don't worry about the 2nd bit, it's easier than the first. They're aren't long - just steep. It wouldn't be so bad if the road up to them wasn't so...............undulating is the only word I can think of.
    But when you're past Ryal you know there are no more nasty surprises.

Don't get me wrong, the route isn't flat, I've just mentioned the longer climbs. But the views are well worth it.

TonyW43, I did the 62 last year, it too is a lovely route. I would have been doing it again this year if I hadn't met up with 636Sean. Your climbs will be to feed station 1 - not too bad, just short sharp and steep. and The Ryals. The route is also......undulating, nothing steep but some long drags.

A word of warning though fellas. The descent down past the 1st feed station has a area where the tarmac is very bumpy, just be ready for it, then at the bottom when you drop into the trees, the bridge is a bit rough. Just be careful if you're hitting it at speed, be ready for it!!!! And check your bottle when you get to the pub (Forestburn Gate), the little bridge was festooned with lost bottles last year. I lost one of mine (the full one) but didn't notice until I was well past it. I also had my bars slip in the stem as I hit the rough bit too fast. That was a little scary :shock: :shock: :shock:

You'll have a great ride, the route is VERY scenic, showing of the county for the excellent cycling it has to offer.

Just pray for gentle winds :wink: you don't want a westerly until you leave Bellingham.
  • wiffachip
    edited June 2009
    Lardy, you're spot on about that bit of road just after 1st feed station, it's awful and people will be flying at that point. I'm amazed it hasn't been fixed by now. I know on a hundred mile route you can't expect a bowling green all the way but that bits an accident waiting to happen. It should have a warning sign on the day. Peter ?

Had planned to go out today for my last decent ride but the forecast was poor so went out and got bladdered in Toon last night instead. Ended up dancing with an old bird from Walker in Sergeant Peppers. I keep telling wor lass to stop going in the same bars as me.
    At least I bumped her and her sisters for a bottle of Becks and the taxi fare home.

EDIT - did the 62 mile route this morning and they have repaired some of that bit of road. hopefully it will be finished by next week. still not good though, there was a rear cycle light lying in the road which had been shook off someones bike
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I will be doing the 62 mile route with 3 mates - i dont like hills so look for someone spinning like crazy doing 2mph. There certainly aint going to be any records broken but 5 - 5 1/2hrs and i will be happy.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • wiffachip wrote:
    Lardy, you're spot on about that bit of road just after 1st feed station, it's awful and people will be flying at that point. I'm amazed it hasn't been fixed by now. I know on a hundred mile route you can't expect a bowling green all the way but that bits an accident waiting to happen. It should have a warning sign on the day. Peter ?

Had planned to go out today for my last decent ride but the forecast was poor so went out and got bladdered in Toon last night instead. Ended up dancing with an old bird from Walker in Sergeant Peppers. I keep telling wor lass to stop going in the same bars as me.
    At least I bumped her and her sisters for a bottle of Becks and the taxi fare home.
    I had a meeting with the County council last week (one of about a milion) I told them about the decent after the first feed station and they said they would do something about it.

There are now 2324 people signed up for the three rides and over 1800 of those are doing the longer two which means there will be this number coming back up the Ryals - should I put a tow rope out?

It's going to be a great weekend if the weather holds. If you come to Leazes Park on the friday night you will not only see great racing from all the categories but also a celebrity race with Steve Cram taking on Geoff Thomas. There will be jugglers, face painters, stilt walkers, a beer tent and lots more.

I can confirm that Bradley Wiggins will be riding the Beaumont on the sunday and he will be up against the best of the Brtish boys plus an Irish National Team and two Dutch Teams You heard it here first.. If you intend to come to Stamfordham on the sunday you will be entertained by a Steel Band on the village green. You can sit and enjoy the music whilst a field of 140 riders contests each of the five hot spot sprints
  • LardLover wrote:

What you riding Rev\'d Gatlin?

Morning. I'll be on the extra large titanium frame. Wearing some Castelli clobber. I should be there 1st thing if you're around. Can't promise to be as polite later on in the day. I've been ramping up my profanity training ready for the Ryals. If there are any families going to watch that particular climb, sorry in advance, you might want to cover the kids ears.

Peter, thanks for all you efforts. If it's as good as last year it will be a blast. Looking forward to seeing how to do it properly on Sunday. I did the Southern Sportive in Hampshire last year and they set off the first few groups in estimated finishing time. It worked well or maybe I was lucky, but there was quite a few good groups to work with and I think we all did better as a result. Just a thought.

Good luck for the weekend.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • LardLover
    I've been ramping up my profanity training ready for the Ryals.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think we're planning on getting there early, I have a feeling I'll need as much daylight as possible :oops: so the earlier we get away the better. I'll be the one looking all serious - just at the thought of the task in hand - I've never ridden this sort of distance before :shock:

+1 for the thanks for Peter and his team, if it's as good as last year (my 1st Cyclone) then it'll be a great day.

Weather forecast so far is for sunshine and showers? but warm (for the north east anyway!)
  • wiffachip
    Road's getting fixed
    Wiggins is on his way
    Weather forecast's canny

Peter - you obviously have friends in high places, any chance of getting the Toon unrelegated ?

Good luck for the whole weekend to organisers and participants
  • hazychris
    Looks like my riding partner's gone and let me down at the last minute :cry:

Anyone realistically looking at 8-9 hours (probably nearer 9 to be honest) and pedestrian up the hills who fancies hooking up for the ride?

Cheers,
    Chris
  • teulk
    hazychris wrote:
    Looks like my riding partner's gone and let me down at the last minute :cry:

Anyone realistically looking at 8-9 hours (probably nearer 9 to be honest) and pedestrian up the hills who fancies hooking up for the ride?

Cheers,
    Chris

I guessing your doing the 101miler ? 4 of us are doing the 60 odd mile route and your welcome to join if you want - it will be a slow pace.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • ncs12
    ncs12 Posts: 24
    LardLover wrote:
    Hey hugo, the climbs aren't that bad................................... :shock:

Some are just lllloooonnnngggg.................

Worst ones, imho of course, are:

1. The one just before feed station 2, the climb up past Bilsmoor (?spelling?) - nice speedy decent down into Elsdon though :D

2. Out past Otterburn (after Elsdon), Troughend Common I think it's called - not steep, just long, and if there's a westerly wind it'll be a right See You Next Tuesday ( :wink: ).

3. The climb out past Bellingham (nicknamed Vomit Climb or something like that!), before feed station 3.

and finally, 4, there's the daddy, probably because you hit it at around the 80-85 mile mark. Lovingly called The Ryals, it's a stepped climb, the first bit hits a 30% gradient at one point if I'm correct :shock: :shock: :shock: that's always good for making you want to throw up. You can't see the second bit, but you will when you get over the top of the first. Don't worry about the 2nd bit, it's easier than the first. They're aren't long - just steep. It wouldn't be so bad if the road up to them wasn't so...............undulating is the only word I can think of.
    But when you're past Ryal you know there are no more nasty surprises.

Don't get me wrong, the route isn't flat, I've just mentioned the longer climbs. But the views are well worth it.

TonyW43, I did the 62 last year, it too is a lovely route. I would have been doing it again this year if I hadn't met up with 636Sean. Your climbs will be to feed station 1 - not too bad, just short sharp and steep. and The Ryals. The route is also......undulating, nothing steep but some long drags.

A word of warning though fellas. The descent down past the 1st feed station has a area where the tarmac is very bumpy, just be ready for it, then at the bottom when you drop into the trees, the bridge is a bit rough. Just be careful if you're hitting it at speed, be ready for it!!!! And check your bottle when you get to the pub (Forestburn Gate), the little bridge was festooned with lost bottles last year. I lost one of mine (the full one) but didn't notice until I was well past it. I also had my bars slip in the stem as I hit the rough bit too fast. That was a little scary :shock: :shock: :shock:

You'll have a great ride, the route is VERY scenic, showing of the county for the excellent cycling it has to offer.

Just pray for gentle winds :wink: you don't want a westerly until you leave Bellingham.

Thank you for the information.

I'll be aiming for an early start and am considering packing lights too :lol::lol:

I'll keep an eye out for you all based on your descriptions here. I'll be on a BH Speedrom yellow/black) muttering 'why??' :wink::wink:

Good luck to all riders and organisers at the weekend. Fingers crossed it stays fine.

Chris
  • LardLover
    hazychris, don't worry, I don't think we're planning on breaking on any records. Would be happy to get round, realistically, in under 8 hrs.

Feel free to join 636sean and myself.

Looks like we won't be getting there till after 8, then find somewhere to park so probably, by the time we've faffed on for a bit, it's going to be nearer 9 before we get to the start line. As mentioned, I'll be on my creaking and cracking Parlee, 636sean will be on his sparkling Spesh Roubaix with his gorgeous new wheels.

Good luck fellas (and fella-ettes :oops: )
  • tonyw43
    Serviced the bike tonight, and spent a fortune on powerbars yesterday (probably won' t need them all, just like the taste.) Think I'm about ready. I'll be the one in '05 Discovery kit on the Carerra going backwards up the hills, but that 'aint a problem, am just looking forward to the ride, come rain or shine.
  • Mam's just been on the phone, we're having fish tomorrow night.

'Thou shall have a fishy on a little dishy,
    thou shall have a fishy.'

MBOT.jpg

Might need to sneak some carbs into the house. Portions are a bit small since we all left home.
  • teulk
    I think its going to rain - oh well
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • LardLover
    That's it teulk, talk the weather down :? It's going to be sunny.......................................with risk of showers :wink:

What else do you eat on a Friday Rev\'d Gatlin? :shock:
    (and 'boat' in the title should be spelt 'BO - AT' :roll: )
  • [quote="LardLover"

What else do you eat on a Friday Rev\'d Gatlin? :shock:

I'm a traditionalist, Friday nights is strong lager and Curry.
  • hazychris
    teulk: yep - I'll be doing the 101 miler, but thanks for the offer!

Lardlover: I'm aiming to be away as early as possible (have post-ride appointment with beer and curry :twisted: ) Maybe I'll catch you in and among the 2400 others!!

ncs12 and rev: Will keep an eye out for you too!

I think I'm looking at 8 hours of riding time, but will probably have a cafe / coffee stop or two to make a day of it :D

Anyone know (Peter?) how the start times get allocated, or is it an unholy scrum at the start line??

Good luck to everyone for Saturday - I'm really looking forward to it.

If you see anyone wearing a a Vodafone branded shirt (there will be only one - bright red with a big apostrophe on it!) on a shiny Enigma titanium bike, say hello!

Cheers,
    Chris
  • wiffachip
    no scrum, just an orderly queue, could be quite a long queue though considering the number of riders, 2500 ish ?
  • teulk
    Just got back and finished the 62miles in 4hr 54 - well happy at doing it under 5hrs. Not bad as it was on a mtb and there seemed to be not too may of them around.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • tonyw43
    edited June 2009
    Wasn't far behind you mate, came in at 5hr 06, very happy with that for my first time and the fact that my crank arm came loose. Excellent day, very well organised event (thanks Peter), looking forward to next year already.

Edit: Actual riding time was 4hr 45, so definately pleased for my first time.
  • hugo15
    I did the long one. Official time was 7 hrs 11 mins, which was way better than the 8 hrs target I had set myself. I'm well chuffed :D . Actual ride time was 6 hrs 26 mins.
  • Quirky
    Quirky Posts: 123
    Did the 62 miles in 4hrs 43mins, actual time riding was 4:24.

First time on a sportive and the Ryals looked like a vertical wall as I approached, just made it past the photographer at the top before I had to stop, i just didn't want to be on a pic walking :oops:

Really enjoyed the day, and will definately be doing it next year
    weight.png