Highclere Castle

2»

Comments

• Brocade
    Brocade Posts: 433
    I did the 122miler. The most painful thing I have ever done. The skies opened up in the last 15km and accordiing to my cycle computer, temperatures dropped from 17 to 7 degress Centigrade. I was drenched and freezing by the time I rolled in.

I guess I'm glad I did it but my legs definitely gave in after the first 150km and I'm not too proud of my total time, over 8 hours. I was holding good tempo in the first 150km, but started to lose it afterwards, especially once the skies opened and I lost all grip.

i guess the main lesson is, I need to be in better "endurance shape", especially uphill, and it's not just a matter of power/weight ratio. I found I was switching to the lowest gear on even the slightest climb towards the end.

Congrats to all who finished !
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    I feel a bit sorry for all those that finished under 8 hours and missed the hailstones and rain - the rest of us left on the course felt it was the most enjoyable part of the ride *.
    :lol:

Just got in the car when is started to tip down. Bettered last year's time by 40 minutes and squeaked a silver on the long one by 2...Hurrah!

Enjoyed the sterling efforts of the girl at the finish calling the riders in - full marks to her and the rest of the organisation generally.

Have to agree about the left hander on the first descent being too dangerous. If they are going to keep it next year there needs to be much clearer signage and marshalls on hand. Despite me telling all of the group I was in about it prior to arrival we still had two riders stack there (same thing happened last year).

There was also a viciously dirty 90deg left hander at the bottom of a fast descent by a farm about halfway round that could have had a caution sign applied.

Did anyone see the ambulance attending to a rider at about 2/3 distance? I hope whoever they are that they are alright.

Liam
    Well. Certaintly...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Brocade wrote:
    I found I was switching to the lowest gear on even the slightest climb towards the end.!

Are you sure you're not me?! Except I was using the granny gear far, far earlier by the sounds of things.

Entered the 202km route as my second sportive, was happy just to get to the end. Good thing too as I finished 330th out of 373... Definitely need to get to grips with the 'psychology' (read: love of cakes and bacon) of climbing hills! Knees are sore as hell today.

Felt a bit of a tit for most of the ride with spare base layer tied round my waist, a spare pair of full finger gloves in my jersey and tights and overshoes, but was glad of them (i.e. smug) when the rain came. I suppose I would have gone faster without them, but probably not enough to beat the rain.

A big 'thanks' to the man on the Mavic scooter for helping me with my second puncture. He turned up right on cue just as I'd got the wheel off. The signage was brilliant - I didn't have to refer to the course notes once.

ITB: Good luck with the Dragon ride!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DesWeller thanks I just sent the organisers a letter from my mum asking for me to be excused the big boys distance and could perhaps be transferred to the under fives support race, WTF was I thinking 190km in Wales ..... they have mountains :shock:

Still i'm pleased and annoyed with my Communicat time of 2.39 if only I hadn't slowed at the end for the ambulance I could have made 2nd overall :roll:

never mind after all it's not a race :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Really good event, yesterday. I did the 77 on my Ridley cross bike in 5:16. I found the hills in the last 10 much more punishing than those at the start - when I looked at the ascent they all add up round there.

I saw the bloke with the buckle - at least it was within walking distance! I wouldn't have fancied that from Winchester.

Funniest thing for me was seeing the grin on the face of the guy being massaged next to me 15 mins after I finished. He was having his thighs done and was clearly enjoying it :wink: . My masseur was wonderful I must say.

I think I'll try for the Silver next year.
  • itboffin
    neil² wrote:
    Really good event, yesterday. I did the 77 on my Ridley cross bike in 5:16. I found the hills in the last 10 much more punishing than those at the start - when I looked at the ascent they all add up round there.

I saw the bloke with the buckle - at least it was within walking distance! I wouldn't have fancied that from Winchester.

Funniest thing for me was seeing the grin on the face of the guy being massaged next to me 15 mins after I finished. He was having his thighs done and was clearly enjoying it :wink: . My masseur was wonderful I must say.

I didn't know you'd entered, did BoB enter as well?

Now when you say you masseur youre not talking about that bloke with muscles on his muscles :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    itboffin wrote:
    neil² wrote:

I didn't know you'd entered, did BoB enter as well?

Now when you say you masseur youre not talking about that bloke with muscles on his muscles :shock:

BoB and I met up afterwards for a cuppa, but he didn't ride.

Fortunately I was allocated the girl on the far right for my massage. Mr Muscle Man seemed to be concentrating on the lassies, and they didn't seem to complain.
  • itboffin
    Because i'm a sick sick man i'll be pounding Walbury then Faccombe on my way to the station tomorrow morning :lol:

Did anyone else find the broken road surface from Whitchurch to Watership down a real PITA my pace really suffered.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I really buried myself, working (and just hanging on at times) with my group, from around 70kms all the way to 150km point. After that, it eased up. By then, I was no longer jumping over, dodging and skillfully avoiding stones / potholes. I was just smashing straight through them. Smash, smash, smash..... I was proper fooked!!!

:lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • My first sportive as well, did the 77 miler, didn't really care about time for my first event, just happy to get round! Struggled on the hills and spen most of the time in either lowest or highest gears. The climb before the feed stop went on forever! Did an extra couple one miles after Stoke Charity & a group of us had to call base for directions, did someone nick the signs?

Really impressed with the whole organisation, professional feel to the event and the cake at the feed station - really needed it & definately returning for more next year. Saw the bloke on the first mile with the bent wheel, felt sorry for him and eased off at the hairpin before the winding descent.

So, what next? Was looking at the Wantage event on the 5th July, anyone done this.
  • nicky_7751
    nicky_7751 Posts: 50
    stevoracer wrote:
    So, what next? Was looking at the Wantage event on the 5th July, anyone done this.

Looking at this one as well hoping to get some feed back from people who have done it before.
  • Webbio
    Webbio Posts: 7
    itboffin,

in true Poirot style I have put the clues together and I think it was you who I was riding with (until air started leaking from my tyre)!

Well done on your time. I managed 2:47 in the end.

I hope I didn't hold you up too much :D
    Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's bike
  • NPH
    NPH Posts: 33
    Agnello - are you from Fareham? If so then my apologies for all my wheel sucking. It was just that I could tag along with my tongue hanging out, get dropped on the hills, just about get back on and suffer like the proverbial. Then, with caffeine gel inside and a load of guilt building up, I went to the front on the descent before White Hill, thought I'd better just dig in on the climb up to the crest, found no-one had come past and thought I'd lead on down the descent. At the bottom I found one other with me and we went on together. Thanks for all your very hard work, and sorry at the lack of manners.

If you aren't from Fareham, then I wasn't in your group!
  • Barkiesnake
    Barkiesnake Posts: 244
    Originally Posted Mon Jun 8, 2009 11:20 am in road beginners

Took part in my first ever sportive yesterday, Highclere Magnificat. I had planned to finish the 46 mile course in 3 hrs but instead finished it in an ambulance and a trip to A&E.
    Came off on a fast descent when the rear wheel slipped out on a bend and ended up hitting the verge shoulder first. I have torn the supraspinatus muscle in my right shoulder and also partly detached it. On the plus side no bones were broken and my beloved Defy has only minor scratches.
    The doctor (a keen cyclist himself it transpired) says that it could take a few months to heal and in the meantime my season is in a mess as i cannot ride for at least 3 weeks and then only easy /flat for the first couple of months.
    Just wanted to say though that the organisation on the event was brilliant , back up and medical support arrived promptly and the organisers did everything they could to help.
    Can't wait for next year now as i have unfinished business to deal with, God i love this sport!!!!!
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • itboffin
    Webbio wrote:
    itboffin,

in true Poirot style I have put the clues together and I think it was you who I was riding with (until air started leaking from my tyre)!

Well done on your time. I managed 2:47 in the end.

I hope I didn't hold you up too much :D

Rob?

I was riding a black Dolan CX bike with road tyres suffering from auto shifting :D

Whilst sitting at those temp lights this morning I realized that had it not been for those I/we would have been 2nd & 3rd, good pace fella shame about the PF.
  • Late post, but a great day out apart from the Hail storm, followed by the monsoon
    for the last 5 mls.

Have never seen so many punctures for the first 20 mls, one poor chap was still
    in the grounds!!. Managed to escape with just one.

Mavic were awsome. Best food for any sportive, well signposted & marshalled
    and a big thnks to TVP for their assistance. Only a made a Bronze for the 126 miles.
    But never mind. Up there with the best sportives I've done.

Thanks to the Dulwich Collage VC rider for the ride into the second feed, great bit
    of duo riding.

One more thing, the female London Dynamo rider with the 'Lightweights' on the
    Look, must have more money than sense!!

Congrats to all those who took part on all the rides, even those who seemed
    to spend a large amount of time glued to my wheel

'Never knowingly underweight'
  • Barkiesnake
    Barkiesnake Posts: 244
    itboffin wrote:

Still i'm pleased and annoyed with my Communicat time of 2.39 if only I hadn't slowed at the end for the ambulance I could have made 2nd overall :roll:

Sorry Itboffin, i think that may have been me in the ambulance, sorry if i cost you 2nd place, :(
    seems like i owe you a beer. if we ever meet up on an event feel free to collect :D
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Pics are up on Phil O'Connor's site also:

http://www.philoconnor.com/sportivephoto.htm
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Sorry Itboffin, i think that may have been me in the ambulance, sorry if i cost you 2nd place, :(
    seems like i owe you a beer. if we ever meet up on an event feel free to collect :D

LOL that doesnt matter glad your okay, no doubt I would have found another way to lose time ;)
  • Excuse me Captain Oakley. The 'female Dynamo with the Lightweights' is a committed rider who is out on club rides in all weather, with a lot of sense. I'm sure she would have been delighted to tell you the story about the wheels if you had been inclined to take the time to chat.

Having a go at riders for their gear is a bizarre thing on a forum like this.
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    Excuse me Captain Oakley. The 'female Dynamo with the Lightweights' is a committed rider who is out on club rides in all weather, with a lot of sense. I'm sure she would have been delighted to tell you the story about the wheels if you had been inclined to take the time to chat.

I had a brief chat with her at the top of a hill while a buddy was fixing a puncture. Very nice woman. German or Dutch I would hazard from the accent?

Kit envy - a debilitating affliction!
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • graham1871
    graham1871 Posts: 34
    itboffin wrote:
    Whilst sitting at those temp lights this morning I realized that had it not been for those I/we would have been 2nd & 3rd, good pace fella shame about the PF.

Ah, but it's swings and roundabouts and all that stuff effects everyone. I did finish third but also spent time looking at the red on those lights, plus had an unscheduled stop to wait for a group of horses to cross the road, etc, etc...
    For me it's more about trying to achieve within a time I've set myself. I was aiming for inside 2:45 so was pleased with getting 2:38. Good ride, and I'm glad I didn't attempt the long route with that hail storm that arrived later!
  • itboffin
    graham1871 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ah, but it's swings and roundabouts and all that stuff effects everyone. I did finish third but also spent time looking at the red on those lights, plus had an unscheduled stop to wait for a group of horses to cross the road, etc, etc...
    For me it's more about trying to achieve within a time I've set myself. I was aiming for inside 2:45 so was pleased with getting 2:38. Good ride, and I'm glad I didn't attempt the long route with that hail storm that arrived later!

Very true I was hoping for a sub 2.30 but there you go, never mind there's always next time, next event for me is the Dragon ride on Sunday and I'm just hoping to come away alive :shock:
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Excuse me Captain Oakley. The 'female Dynamo with the Lightweights' is a committed rider who is out on club rides in all weather, with a lot of sense. I'm sure she would have been delighted to tell you the story about the wheels if you had been inclined to take the time to chat.

Seconded. Although if we are playing this game I passed a guy riding a Serrotta with Lightweights on a sportive a few weeks back - most bling bike I've seen... Saw a very nice Pinarrello Prince on the Highclere as well, unfortunately that was passing me :(
  • Excuse me Captain Oakley. The 'female Dynamo with the Lightweights' is a committed rider who is out on club rides in all weather, with a lot of sense. I'm sure she would have been delighted to tell you the story about the wheels if you had been inclined to take the time to chat.

I think mayby I phrased it wrong, I just felt that a wheelset costing two and a half
    grand might not be the best to use. The roads used on most of these rides can often
    be of poor quality and after heavy rain can resemble cart tracks. And something
    a little more robust might be the preferred option.

I changed my wheelset in the carpark, to my training Neutrons with GP 4000 S's.
    from Shamal ultras/Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX's.

Humble pie eaten and enjoyed!!! :(:(

'If you took all the economists in the world and laid them end to end, they'd still
    point in different directions' - Harry S Trueman
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Captain Oakley... to go totally off-topic, how do the Neutrons rate compared to the Shamals? I 'm looking to get a set, but can't decide between Neutron Ultras and Shamal Ultra's... shamal are lighter, but i'm not sure on the high profile rims, not having riden them before...... guess what i'm asking is which is the fastest on circuits like Highclere.... ( if there is any noticeable difference)....
  • juggler wrote:
    Captain Oakley... to go totally off-topic, how do the Neutrons rate compared to the Shamals? I 'm looking to get a set, but can't decide between Neutron Ultras and Shamal Ultra's... shamal are lighter, but i'm not sure on the high profile rims, not having riden them before...... guess what i'm asking is which is the fastest on circuits like Highclere.... ( if there is any noticeable difference)....

Go for the Neutrons, they are far better and robust. I am seriously considering
    exchanging the Shamals for a brand new set of Neutrons. Have spoken to
    several friends who ride for local clubs, and all say the Neutrons win every time.

I think Parkers still have them on offer. All in all a better wheelset. Go get em!!!

'Never knowingly underweight'