Highclere Castle

Brocade
Brocade Posts: 433
Anyone doing Highclere this weekend ? Looks like rain ... yuck.

Also, didn't realise it was a 3km ascent until I looked at the route a bit more in detail.
BMC Pro Machine
Enigma Ego

Comments

• nicky_7751
    nicky_7751 Posts: 50
    Brocade wrote:
    Anyone doing Highclere this weekend ? Looks like rain ... yuck.

According to Metcheck is going to be dry but a lot cooler.....hope they're right!
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    Fingers crossed the Beeb website's got it wrong - heavy rain all day Sunday!
    FCN 10
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    not looking good...

but then it may rain on the marmotte too so must (grin and) bear it :cry:
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    I hope it does rain.Then no one will see me crying after 7 hours plus in the saddle!
    Why do i do this this to myself? :wink:
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    Me & other half are doing the 77-miler - went out Wednesday night to give some of the route a try (we've been over some of it in previous rides) and tackled the Scorpion's Sting. Have to say it wasn't as horrific as I'd imagined it to be - other half had been up it the week before, and I assumed he'd warn me as we approached it. We were half way up a fairly long climb, and I was thinking "I'm sure he'd have warned me if this is it, and if the scorpion's sting is harder, I'm knackered!!" - but was pleasantly surprised when we got to the top that it was indeed the first climb of it :)

Almost didn't make the sharp left hander into the 2nd part of that climb though!!
    FCN 10
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    pigeon42 wrote:
    Me & other half are doing the 77-miler - went out Wednesday night to give some of the route a try (we've been over some of it in previous rides) and tackled the Scorpion's Sting. Have to say it wasn't as horrific as I'd imagined it to be - other half had been up it the week before, and I assumed he'd warn me as we approached it. We were half way up a fairly long climb, and I was thinking "I'm sure he'd have warned me if this is it, and if the scorpion's sting is harder, I'm knackered!!" - but was pleasantly surprised when we got to the top that it was indeed the first climb of it :)

Almost didn't make the sharp left hander into the 2nd part of that climb though!!

Yes, watch the 90 degree turn off that hill tomorrow! Get in low gear as you come down because you will lose all momentum to make the turn and then the road goes up again steeply... Tbh I think this turn is too dangerous for the sportive.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The forecast is looking v bad :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Given the weather and roads tomorrow, does anyone have an opinion on whether I should change my conti 4000s tyres to conti 4 seasons ones. I've yet to really ride the 4000s in the wet so I'm not sure how they will hold up.

I'm kind of thinking there won't be much difference but that's the lazy person in me.

Thanks
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Hmm.. I'll see ya there tomoro! Come rain or shine :lol:

(Hopefully shine!! :wink: 8) )
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • itboffin
    The weather was lovely if anything too hot 16.5 degrees
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Chaz.Harding
    What course / time you do it in itboffin? I did the 126 mile route, 7:18ish. I was the one of four Army riders, if you saw us!

How'd everyone else do? What you think to the ride?

That, for me, was by quite a long way, thelet alone the hardest ride I have ever done, and one of the most arduous things I have ever done. But then, distance wise, I have increased my max by roughly 50 miles!! :lol: 8)

And my one and only punture, i noticed as I was putting the bike in the car - how lucky am I????

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • itboffin
    Chapeau!! good time.
    I finished the race with the fastest female, Army naturally...! :wink:

I did the communicat 46 miles in 2hr 39mins in my defence I did the short ride because i'm doing the full dragon ride 126 miles next Sunday :wink: I very much doubt i'll do a sub 8 hrs.

I'm miffed about today I'm pretty sure I could have sub 2.30hrs but I started at the back and spent a fair few miles making my way to the front.

itboffin
    ex AAC :wink:

check out my post in commuting forum 'Ride Reports'
  • Chaz.Harding
    Ahh, thanks... Still finding my way round the road section.

You mean Claire? She's a very nice lady. Top lass!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • itboffin
    Ahh, thanks... Still finding my way round the road section.

You mean Claire? She's a very nice lady. Top lass!

Road section is okay if you like shaving your legs and talking about how much your tyres weigh :lol: commuting is where the real action happens, scalping, saddle sores, drinking and social events galore although we are all fond of the RP 3 lap challenge and the odd sportive.

You can tell Claire she deserves a MASSHOOF chapeau she clocked a mens gold time :wink: once the results come in I think she may have even made the overall top 10.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    oh boy we lucked out on the weather :D heavy heavy last night, and raining hard west of Newbury along the M4 as I drove home.

I did the 77 miler, 5-15 according to my computer but it'll be more for my stops. Brilliant days riding and loads of good chat with friendly cyclists.

As I was waiting to start they were trying to shoo the late entry 128 milers along, and two guys ran up to the start line with MTBs. They were wearing cotton tees and cotton shorts by the looks of it, before we had left Highclere estate one of the MTBs was upside down on the grass being repaired. I wonder what happened to those two? Speak up if you're around!
  • itboffin
    I was surprised to see so many MTBs & hybrids WTF were these people thinking :lol:
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    Mavic service were awesome. very reassuring to see the car, motorbike and van on the route. they guys were constantly busy helping people.

i thought it added a real touch of class to the event.
  • itboffin
    dcj wrote:
    Mavic service were awesome. very reassuring to see the car, motorbike and van on the route. they guys were constantly busy helping people.

I didn't see them but have you ever seen so many people with punctures? WTF was that about...!
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    edited June 2009
    I'm absolutely delighted...my first ever silver standard on a sportive - 4'59 for the 77 miler.

Might not sound like much but I'd never even ridden a road bike until three years ago (I'm 42) and with a young child occupying a lot of my free time the training is difficult to say the least.

I love the Highclere, so I'm delighted to have done it there. Thanks a million to the Army guy who held my bike while I collapsed with the cramp from hell at the end. And sorry to the two guys who finished just ahead of me who must have jumped out of their saddles with my yell of pure joy as I crossed the line!!!

Roll on next year. No chance of ever making a gold standard but I'll be happy to maintain what I've done this year, especially as I'll be another year into my middle age!

And to all those who completed the 126 miler - chapeau!!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Great day. So well organised. Really did feel like a proper event with the police, mavic and great course signing.

I took 9 hours - give or take a minute. That's pretty good for me, so quite pleased. The first 100km was great. Started to feel the distance after that. The heavy rain, which I got for the last hour finished me off.

Cheers to everyone I chatted to on the way round. Made the day seem shorter, but those of us at the back need to sort out some groups. Seemed to be riding on my own or at the front for 90% of the day.

Made it 205km and 2540m of climbing. Not too shabby for a days training.

..... will be back next year.
    exercise.png
  • itboffin wrote:
    dcj wrote:

I didn't see them but have you ever seen so many people with punctures? WTF was that about...!

well I did my first sportive, the 77 miler, on my old "Made in Nottingham" Raleigh, gently souped. 2 punctures within 5 miles near Long Parish. Yes there were lots of other people with them too - culprit for me was a tiny tiny bit of flint which must have been washed onto the road by the heavy rain last night. Or left there by a very very small neanderthal man with bad intentions.

+1 for the ride though - organisation excellent, the volunteers so cheery and helpful. So happy to have made it round, my son was born 3 months ago so training has been ahem "difficult".

Did anyone else see the guy who had trashed his bike within a mile of the start though and who was sadly trudging back? front wheel was definitely a right-off, poor soul.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Did anyone else see the guy who had trashed his bike within a mile of the start though and who was sadly trudging back? front wheel was definitely a right-off, poor soul.

yeah poor bloke months of training and preparation and a banana shaped wheel within the first mile. I did noice the mavic motorbike was carrying spare wheels, maybe he completed after all?
  • nicky_7751
    nicky_7751 Posts: 50
    edited June 2009
    itboffin wrote:
    dcj wrote:

I didn't see them either but you're right about the punctures seemed to be every few yards right from the beggining! Did the 77 mile route, missed silver according to official timing by 5 minutes but did 5h 08m on bike computer so well pleased as it was my first sportive :D Saw the guy with the badly buckled wheel at the start wonder what happened! Was very slippery on the hill under the trees there though, had back wheel locking up even under gentle braking, thought for all the world I was going to come a cropper! Thoroughly enjoyable day all round though. Would like to thank the idiot who nearly ended my day in St Mary Bourne though! Pulled up at the church & rear seat passenger decided that the group of cyclists they had just passed deserved no Christian thought & opened door straight in front of me....Pass my cycling shorts Hardy, the brown ones please!!! :evil:
  • agnello
    itboffin wrote:
    dcj wrote:

I expect TF that was all about was the fact that there was an almighty downpour of rain the night before (the first in ages) washing loads of flints and thorns on to the road before the race. The bikes being the first vehicles to encounter said detritus.

I trust the riders that slipstreamed us for thirty miles, declining our polite invitations to share the load only to overtake on the penultimate hill finished with a strong sense of pride and achievement.

This is easily the best organised, supported and catered event I've done in the UK.
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
  • Yes, really lucky to miss the rain all the way around the 126m. Got three punctures though because of all the stones washed onto the road by the recent heavy rain. Punctured at 7, 80, and 117 miles; the last was a slow leak so I pumped up there and again as I entered the grounds at 126m.
    Mavic support very reassuring though they didn't happen to pass when I was by the side of the road.
    Still a great day and I'm glad I did it. May as well get all the trouble on one ride.
  • agnello
    Our group had 3 punctures between 4 of us in the first 40 miles! Roads were clearer after that.

Anyone finishing after 4 looked like they caught some weather though!
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
  • phearnde
    phearnde Posts: 73
    Congrats to all, whatever distance you did.. I completed the 46 miler, just missed out on silver standard time - I blame that on a puncture on Walbury Hill (what a stinker!)

Great organisation

+1 for the comments regarding the presence of Mavic service vehicles and professional feeling to the event.

My first sportive and now I'm looking around for another one in the near future - any suggestions (in the South/South East)?
  • Did this 2 years ago and it seemed even better this time. Really, really well organised, good signage (apart from one that was missing early on - I suspect removed rather than not put up), great feed stops with plenty of choice, plenty of water stops, a good welcome at the end, and the Mavic support vehicles almost made me feel like a pro!
    I often feel that commercial organisers run events more with a eye to profit than providing a service (day 1 Tour of Wessex), not sure where these guys fit in, but either way they did a great job.

Couldn't believe to get round without rain - as it was dry at the first stop went for the 126 option - I 'only' recorded 2560m of climbing, but wasn't complaining about that by the end!
    Only one puncture (for Mrs G, but I trapped the new tube under the tyre rim and exploded it when inflating with my only CO2 cylinder, so had to fix again and pump manually, not a great start less than 20 miles in.

Got back and it started to pour just as the cadets (another great touch when you're absolutely knackered) were taking the timing chips off. I felt for those still out there!

I'll be back!
  • alansmithy
    alansmithy Posts: 80
    I feel a bit sorry for all those that finished under 8 hours and missed the hailstones and rain - the rest of us left on the course felt it was the most enjoyable part of the ride *.

* OK - I lied - it was hell, or 'character-building', depending on your outlook.
  • graham1871
    graham1871 Posts: 34
    phearnde wrote:
    My first sportive and now I'm looking around for another one in the near future - any suggestions (in the South/South East)?

You should book in on the Woodcote one - same region and a similar feel on the route, just up in the Chilterns instead. Good choice of routes too and the long one is a very achievable 75 miles.