Breathing masks

2»

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    On the plus side though, add a pair of shades and you can beat the crap out of errant motorists and run over peds with impunity, they'll never pick you out in a line-up
    <a>road</a>
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    On the plus side though, add a pair of shades and you can beat the crap out of errant motorists and run over peds with impunity, they'll never pick you out in a line-up

True, helmet, shades and a face mask do make you look like an American footballer and cover every inch of your face
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    A map forecasting NO2 pollution in London (from 2005). See any kind of pattern?

pollution1.jpg
  • I've been commuting for nearly 3 years now, about 12 miles each way right accross central London from SE to NW, about 50 mins give or take each way. Much of the journey is on busy main roads.

First year I didn't use a mask at all, but a few weeks after starting commuting regularly found I would get an irritating something-in-the-back-of-my-throat type cough for an hour or so after cycling.

Got fed up with it so thought I would give a mask a try. A mixed blessing really, although I have persisted with it as it has definitely stopped the cough, it has a lot of disadvantages.

So after nearly 2 years using one my experience is:

Pros:
    - Stops a lot of crap going into my lungs (just need to check the filter after 2 weeks to see that).
    - Anything that even reduces slightly the particulate nasties going into my lungs, is imho a Very Good Thing :-)
    - Seems to improve lung efficiency as they have to work harder due to the mask. Really notice this when riding without the mask at weekends
    - In cold weather stops your nose/chin/lips freezing

Cons:
    - Sweaty face, and inability to wipe your nose if it runs!
    - Useless in the p*ssing rain, but then pollution seems lower when its weeing down anyway?
    - cost if you change the fiters after the recommended time
    - Impossible to hurl abuse / chat with fellow cyclists with it on
    - Perfect fit is difficult to achieve

I've tried several different Respro masks, and find the best combo for maximising air throughput whilst still getting the best protection to be:

- Sportsta neoprene mask with Sportsta valves (this mask has a larger holes in the neoprene and the valves seem to open more fully when you exhale). The larger holes mean you are not trying to pull air through both the filter and as much of the neoprene as with some of the other masks

- Use the most expensive Techno Gold filters for the extra filtration

I cycle about 120 miles a week commuting, probably just under 10 hours cycling time, and I religiously change the filters every 2 weeks. By this time they are usually pretty dark with crud on the outside and, well... if I'm honest 2 weeks of snot and sweat makes the inside pretty gross by then anyway!!

On balance if you cycle in heavy traffic during rush hour then I think its worth wearing one. If however your commute is mostly on quiet backroads or through parks then I wouldn't bother.

I am seriously considering increasing my commute time and distance to use much quieter roads and hopefully less pollution. I still can't avoid the main bridges crossing the river though, so my commute will never be completely pollution free :wink:

I think masks are one of those things you have to try for yourself - only then will you know if its for you or not.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Greg T wrote:
    You should tell your mate that the higher you go the better the quality of air.

Therefore a snorkel would be a better bet.

Probably just as useful.

SO my recumbent is not a good idea?

Or do I need a very long snorkel?
    I could adapt this and fix it to the flag mast:

quiz1.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Ross Gardner
    Ross Gardner Posts: 230
    Are there any masks available now, that tackle this issue any better?

I was thinking about having one that worked cycling and running.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    I hope you have been practicing your best Darth Vader voice, ready for tomorrow. :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ross Gardner
    I hope you have been practicing your best Darth Vader voice, ready for tomorrow. :lol:

Is that reply for me? I was thinking more Bane voice [get with the times, Grandpa (meant in jest)].
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033

Is that reply for me? I was thinking more Bane voice [get with the times, Grandpa (meant in jest)].

Not specifically,no, but May the fourth be with you too. :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ross Gardner

Not specifically,no, but May the fourth be with you too. :wink:

Revenge of the fifth.