Giro stage 19 *spoiler*

13»

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Di Luca has two shadows, one from the sun and the other is Russian.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Vesuvius Blockhaus and Petrano have restored my faith in the Giro.......good stuff
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DDL v Menchov. Cycling version of rope-a-dope. Pun intended.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I'm starting to like Basso

Strava is not Zen.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    What an amazing stage :D .
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    Exactly how steep and long is that climb at the end of tomorrow's stage?

From the profile it looks like a perfect finish for a Di Luca win so that could give him a 20 second time bonus and see him in Pink by 2 seconds if Menchov didn't finish in the top three. The problem of course is that you'd fully expect Menchov to take at least 30 seconds out of Di Luca in the time trail.
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    Serge Pauwels has been very impressive ever since he was denied a stage win by his DS. Finished 8th today, good job.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    SASTRE. AGAIN. GOOD CALL.

Why Menchov is referred to as diesel is quite funny. He doesn't lose a cm to all of Di Luca's multiple accelerations. You have to admire his power for that - it certainly looked like he was trying today.

Di Luca gets massive congratulations for trying day after day and whittling the lead down to only 18secs. A true fighter. Not hard to see why he is the Tifosi's favourite.

Maybe he will take sufficient seconds in the TT (a LOT of sharp corners requring acceleration on exit...maybe even get some time tomorrow as well as bonus time - definitely a little kick up at the end which suits Di Luca.

Absolutely stunning views of Vesuvio.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    If I was selling elastic bands, I'd have Dennis Menchov as my poster boy.
    Good stuff, today.
    Rabo will let a huge break go, tomorrow, as LPR will be desperate to get DDL to that final climb.
    Really is one for him to shift "Limpet" Menchov.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    He's definately got to have a go tomorrow -- needs some seconds in hand before the TT.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Serge Pauwels has been very impressive ever since he was denied a stage win by his DS. Finished 8th today, good job.

Pauwels has been good. He's worked hard for Sastre since his stage 'sacrifice'.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    I liked the menchov box section shape spasm.. must have been a wall of white light
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Much as I respect Menchov for hanging in there it sure would be nice to see the race won by a blazing attack.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Exactly how steep and long is that climb at the end of tomorrow's stage?

From the profile it looks like a perfect finish for a Di Luca win so that could give him a 20 second time bonus and see him in Pink by 2 seconds if Menchov didn't finish in the top three. The problem of course is that you'd fully expect Menchov to take at least 30 seconds out of Di Luca in the time trail.

Right -- Di Luca really needs minutes rather than seconds.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    calvjones wrote:
    I'm starting to like Basso

How can you not like him!

:wink:

He should be good for the Vuelta and I expect ASO will be happy to have him at Le Tour next year if he continues like this.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Indeed. I've warmed to him so much throughout this Giro, I went back and read the January Procycling interview with him. And there it was in big letters;

"If I'm not as good as I was before, you might as well throw me off a bridge. I'll have no credibility".

Oh well.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Indeed. I've warmed to him so much throughout this Giro, I went back and read the January Procycling interview with him. And there it was in big letters;

"If I'm not as good as I was before, you might as well throw me off a bridge. I'll have no credibility".

Oh well.

It doesn't count yet. You've got to give him a year or two. When Riis had him on a "programme" Fuentes was keeping CERA for all the Spanish riders.

At least he's not as cr@p as David "Twice" Millar, eh? Or 3 times world TT champ Mick "Can't TT" Rogers.

On a seriously note : Fuentes people who've come back. Hamilton : Terrible. Santi Perez : Terrible. Scarponi : Pretty good. Basso : Pretty good. JJ : Who know, he only rides chippers in odd countries
  • DaveyL
    He's also the best Fuentes rider who's come back (Ullrich arguably the other). And Basso didn't say "If I'm not as good as David Millar" or "If I'm not as good as Mick Rogers". He said, "If I'm not as good as *I* was before.".

Still, I'll give him a couple of years, then expect him to win the Giro by 9 min without having to open his mouth.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    He's also the best Fuentes rider who's come back (Ullrich arguably the other). And Basso didn't say "If I'm not as good as David Millar" or "If I'm not as good as Mick Rogers". He said, "If I'm not as good as *I* was before.".

Ok, So he's had the following record in the Giro

1999 : DNF
    2005 : 55
    2006 : 1

So his average position is 84'th in the Giro (if you assume a DNF is as good as last) So he's better than ever.

:wink:
  • DaveyL
    Imagine he's a Columbia rider. That ought to help you regain your critical faculties :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Imagine he's a Columbia rider. That ought to help you regain your critical faculties :D

Wot difference would it make he if said "yer, I done it guv, along with Carlos and Jens" If he had, would you be a fan?

Anyway, Basso's too classy to wear that hideous Columbia kit.

If I could sort you out a date with Elisa, would you join the Ivan fan club?
  • DaveyL
    Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me.

Much.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me.

Much.

She'll pay for your favourite resturant.

And then when you start drooling on yourself after 10 pints is "charming"
  • DaveyL wrote:
    He's also the best Fuentes rider who's come back (Ullrich arguably the other).

Sorry, must have missed Ullrich's comeback?? can't remember him racing after he was suspended in 06!
  • DaveyL
    I meant, he and Ullrich were arguably the best two riders in the crop of OP casualties, with Ullrich probably the better of the two. Ergo Basso is the top one to make a comeback.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • [
    quote="DaveyL"]I meant, he and Ullrich were arguably the best two riders in the crop of OP casualties, with Ullrich probably the better of the two. Ergo Basso is the top one to make a comeback.
    [/quote]

Do you think we can ever say without seeing them race together clean? Maybe Ullrich just had better dope or reacted better to it?
  • DaveyL
    Well, it doesn't really matter (to me), as that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was just trying to say that Basso is basically the best rder from OP to make a comeback.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Why hasn't Di Luca learned that he can't attack by breaking away from Menchov? His "shadow" just keeps up with him every time! He should be trying other tactics, like attacking from behind, doing short/sharp accellerations to disrupt the pace or even using his team to box Menchov in while he gets away! Maybe he's trully running out of energy though... :!: