Back in the saddle

The Hogester
The Hogester Posts: 101
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, after at least 5 years i got out on my bike last weekend and it was like a revelation for me. I seriously forgot how much i loved riding a bike. Now the bike i have is an old Raleigh Max. It has no suspension and hurt like hell on anything slightly bumpy.

Now i plan i going out on my bike much more often, so would i be better to upgrade my current bike? Or face defeat and just buy a new one?

Thanks for any advice in advance :wink:

Comments

• cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    after a certain age/price point, its better to buy a new bike than upgrade an old frame. its a bit like throwing good money after bad.
  • ChrisMidsUK
    ChrisMidsUK Posts: 76
    Either buy a new bike (get a warranty with it) or fairly recent model 2nd hand of somewhere like Ebay would be the best options?
    Stumpjumper fsr comp £1,600
    Some cycle clobber £357.26
    A load of stuff to clean and lube with £54.56
    Hydration rucksack £9.95

Watching this clueless buffoon make an ar$e of myself out on the trails. PRICELESS! :D
  • The Hogester
    In that case, how much would you guys spend on a bike if you were just getting back in to it. At the moment I'll be mainly doing pretty flat xc stuff, but I'd eventually like to start throwing myself down some steeper stuff.

Which then begs the question of hardtail or full sus? I have no idea which is best for which type of riding.

Once again, thanks in advance foe any advice.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Safest bet is around £500 on a decent hardtail. That will get you something good enough to cope with anything (within reason) which will also last & be worth keeping until you're a super-fit technical genius. By which time you'll know exactly what you want/need!

Can do it for £300 but you'll be upgrading sooner - I reckon £500 is where things are worth keeping long(ish)term and really enjoyable to ride

50 differing opinions to follow...
    :lol:

More importantly - welcome back!

And get a decent helmet & comfy shorts ASAP! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • The Hogester
    elPedro666 wrote:
    Safest bet is around £500 on a decent hardtail. That will get you something good enough to cope with anything (within reason) which will also last & be worth keeping until you're a super-fit technical genius. By which time you'll know exactly what you want/need!

Can do it for £300 but you'll be upgrading sooner - I reckon £500 is where things are worth keeping long(ish)term and really enjoyable to ride

50 differing opinions to follow...
    :lol:

More importantly - welcome back!

And get a decent helmet & comfy shorts ASAP! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the welcome back :D

£500 sounds ok to me, but then comes the problem of trying to choose one :(
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    what a nice problem to have, though!

welcome to the fold :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a good newish used hardtail to start with, a full suss worth getting starts at £1K new and even used your looking at £500+

Alternatively get a good frame a build it up the way you want it, I did that with my Giant (set up as a hybrid commuter as in my Avatar) and it cost me £70, now I'm building a Kraken for more off road stuff, and that way you can spec each part to what you want, not what the manufacturer decided to use!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Hogester
    what a nice problem to have, though!

welcome to the fold :D

Ha yeah, there are worse problems to have.

Theres one of those specialized concept stores about 2 mins from my house, i'll have to pop round and see what they have.
  • elPedro666
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • The Hogester
    Thanks for that! Frame size is the next issue, once again no idea which I'd need :roll:
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    try some out as sizing is personal
  • The Hogester
    Shorty12 wrote:
    try some out as sizing is personal

Is there any way of working it out? Or literally just trying them out? What should a correctly fitted bike do? If that makes sense. How will i know if it fits right?
  • elPedro666
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • elPedro666
    A good local bike shop is the best possible place to start - somewhere that will give you good advice rather than trying to flog you whatever they've got leftover.

Whereabouts are you? Ah = Brum, like it says :oops: Don't really know where to recommend; sure somebody will though!

Honest, reliable bike shop in the UK's third city, anyone...?
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • SpinningJenny
    third city :shock:

i'm a brummie born lass and i can confirm that it is the 2nd city :D

The Hogester - buy a Specialized

not that i'm biased :wink:

• The Hogester
    elPedro666 wrote:
    A good local bike shop is the best possible place to start - somewhere that will give you good advice rather than trying to flog you whatever they've got leftover.

Whereabouts are you? Ah = Brum, like it says :oops: Don't really know where to recommend; sure somebody will though!

Honest, reliable bike shop in the UK's third city, anyone...?

This place is literally a 2 min drive away from me.

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... &page_id=6

I dont know of any other shops, other than Halfords that is.

Edit - There's a Cycle Surgery in the city centre.
  • SpinningJenny
    Cycle Surgery are quite good - I've used two in the City of London.... and spent a fair amount of money in both :shock:

must tell bank why spending money on bike accoutrements is better for me than putting it in savings account with 0.90% interest... oh hold on, that should be quite easy, then! :wink:

• The Hogester
    A Specialized Hardrock, good place to start?
  • lucyd
    lucyd Posts: 1
    Hi

I got back on a MTB recently after around 10 years off - it felt great!!! I have bought a new one.

What I did was read lots of reviews and surf lots of sites when deciding what to buy. We sold loads of stuff on ebay and raised £1K!

I got a 2009 Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 (hardtail), which is fantastic beyond words. Already I can do things I had forgotten I could do.

Dp has a Specialized Rockhopper (also fantastic to ride). We both bought them online and they both suit us very well, but I think if you can try out a few that's probably the best.

For sizing I used the Wiggle guide and they set it up for me. They ask for your inside leg and your overall height. I would recommend them as a retailer if you want to use postal delivery. Dp used Evans and they were great too.

I could have got a 2nd hand one or a cheaper one but I wanted something that would last, that I could learn about and fix/customise as I learned.

Cheers
    Lucy
    I ride a Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 in beautiful Strathspey
  • elPedro666
    third city :shock:

i'm a brummie born lass and i can confirm that it is the 2nd city :D

The Hogester - buy a Specialized

not that i'm biased :wink:

Abandoned the Midlands for my beloved Manc, couldn't resist :wink::lol:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • mind you, I'm an escapee too, but even so...

although I can't do a Brummie accent any more - a Southerner friend of mine can do it better :shock:

• elPedro666
    I'm from Wolves, but I can still do a pretty decent Dudley as well. Although I doubt you could tell the difference...
    :P :P :twisted:

Wouldn't mind being in Brighton today though... 8)
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • so would i - stuck at work in the big smoke :cry:

still, back home tonight to see the sea :D

and no, i couldn't tell the difference b/t Dudders and Wolves, tbh

Moseley lass, me :D

• The Hogester
    As a sub question, where are the best places in the midlands to ride? If you know the area that is. Thanks again for any replies.

PS. A friend of my cousins works in Cycle Surgery, so if i play my cards right i may be able to get a healthy discount :D

In which case, if i stick to my budget of £500 i should get something pretty nice i reckon.
  • always good to make use of your connections :twisted:

I'm afraid I can't help with the midlands ride locations - i left there in 1989 :shock: OMG that's a loooooong time ago...

• elPedro666
    As a sub question, where are the best places in the midlands to ride? If you know the area that is. Thanks again for any replies.

PS. A friend of my cousins works in Cycle Surgery, so if i play my cards right i may be able to get a healthy discount :D

In which case, if i stick to my budget of £500 i should get something pretty nice i reckon.

That'll be the way forward then!

As for riding spots...
    Cannock's good fun - enjoyable if not really challenging, but I spent a lot of time driving out to Wales if I'm brutally honest. Try looking up some local clubs? Your friend at the bikeshop would be a good source too, I'd imagine! :lol:

Just remembered the Wyre Forest.
    And Kinver.
    And Malvern.
    And Long Mynd (pick of the crop) - there's a thread about the Mynd was running very recently if you have a search for it...
    Hop-something (Hopton?) Woods rings a bell.

Peaks are well worth the drive too, when the roads aren't chokka with day-trippers...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • The Hogester
    Thanks for that, i'll give those a look.

Any chance you could take a quick look on here http://www.cyclesurgery.com/c/81/Over-500.html

Tell me if there are any particular corkers on there i should look at?

With the potential discount i could get, i could go to about £700 list price.

Once again, thanks for all the advice.
  • Oh yes, Malvern. Ride up to the top of Worcestershire Beacon! I spent lots of time there as a kid, orienteering with the other outward bound victims...

• elPedro666
    I like this classic steel:
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027002/Ora ... ige-S.html
    but it really depends what riding you're looking looking to be doing (it'd be mint over the Mynd or Malverns though).

Have a search around the forum - there's about 17 'What bike for £500-£1000?' threads running...

Check what they've got left from 2008 too, some bargains still to be had!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • The Hogester
    Bit of an update:

Im going with my cousin to Cycle Surgery next weekend. Hopefully should find something i like.

Still not sure on how much to spend though. On one hand i don't want to spend the earth, because i've only just started riding again. On the other hand though, i want something decent enough that i won't want to upgrade in a months time.

Any opinions on that?