Questions for Mark Cavendish

The Kennington Kaiser
edited June 2009 in Pro race
A friend of mine is interviewing Cav early next week and has asked me to suggest a few questions to put to the man himself (my mate is not a cycling geek like most of us on here). My first thought was to ask Cavendish if he's aware of the simillarity between himself and Bingo from Banana Splits but I think my mate is looking for something a little serious that won't elicit an immediate slap.

What would you ask him if you had the chance?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whether Willhub needs to adjust his saddle.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Concerning Italy, where he's bought a house and trains, how's his Italian coming along? I'm assuming that speaking the language relatively fluently will be an advantage for TV and race sign-on interviews, meeting sponsors on the podium and generally getting a sympathetic coverage from the media. I remember seeing Robbie McEwen being interviewed on RAI during a Giro a couple of years ago and he seemed pretty fluent.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Concerning Italy, where he's bought a house and trains, .

Ask him how long he's had an interest in the Italian railways

(where's my coat 8) )
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If you'd told him when he was with Team Sparkasse that he'd win Milan - San Remo in a few years' time, what would he have said?
  • Anonymous
    Where does he see himself in 5 years time
  • Kléber
    Concerning Italy, where he's bought a house and trains, how's his Italian coming along?
    I can answer that now. He says he understands most of it but struggles to speak. He's done all his interviews in Italian in English and journalists put questions to him in English as well.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    If he could have raced against 1 rider past or present in a head to head sprint to the line at the end of a Tour, who would he want to race, and no doubt beat!?

Also, don't really want to go down this route but would be interesting to know, does he believe cycling is getting cleaner despite some high profile riders being caught doping of late?

Will we be able to see your friends interview? What is the interview for?
  • BenBlyth - My mate works for Oakley, so I'm not quite sure where this will appear. Probably likely to be destined for promotional material but it may get a decent airing elsewhere.
  • Kléber
    Does the paint peel of his M-Frames like they did on mine? :wink:
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    BenBlyth - My mate works for Oakley, so I'm not quite sure where this will appear. Probably likely to be destined for promotional material but it may get a decent airing elsewhere.

that changes everything and means that the bingo question is streets ahead at the top of the list..
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Does he dispair having to pull on that awful looking jersey everyday... a green one will look so much better...
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    What is going through your head in the final kilometer? How do you deal with the adrenaline rush? Do you use it to get some momentum going, or do you try and relax as much as possible to stay focussed?

What tactics do you use to stop others getting on your lead-out train? It often looks quite agressive on TV - how personal does it get between the sprinters? Is there a lot of shouting, etc?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Could you throw Daryl Impey in the same manner as Theo Bos did? :wink:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Will he ever win Flanders?

Strava is not Zen.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Are you disappointed that considering British cyclists are doing so well on the roads in Europe that at home the Police and the general public and trying their hardest to put a stop to road racing in many areas of the country?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    Are you disappointed that considering British cyclists are doing so well on the roads in Europe that at home the Police and the general public and trying their hardest to put a stop to road racing in many areas of the country?

I'm not!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Whether he thinks he'll ever win a cobbled classic.

And why he buys Italian trains. :wink:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Which other cyclist, in the present peloton, does he most admire?
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    What's the highest power output his SRM has ever recorded?
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    BenBlyth - My mate works for Oakley, so I'm not quite sure where this will appear. Probably likely to be destined for promotional material but it may get a decent airing elsewhere.

So probably a big feature in Procycling then? :lol: He's doing the rounds next week so wouldn't be surprised to see him put in an appearance at Smithfield on Saturday night.
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    Has he ever tried green tea for keeping up the endurance?
    I swear by it but keep it a secret.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    1. In an interview recently he says he is from Great Britain, but native Maxsters keep suggesting he has nothing to do with being British.

Does he consider himself British, English or anything else (not that it bothers me, as long as he isn't French I would still like him), but would be nice to hear his take on nationality etc.

2. When his Oakley's hit the floor in the Giro, did he go back for them, and why hasn't he got a spare pair in white?

3. What did he shout (as seen on camera) when he cocked up the sprint in stage 2?
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    Best bike for £500?

Campag or Shimano?

Why he seems to like Lance?
  • ronthechef
    ronthechef Posts: 943
    Has he asked his employer about the bike to work scheme?
    :D

What did he buy his team mates after MSR?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    If he could go back to last year and tell himself one thing about cycle racing, what would it be?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Did he honestly think that wearing pink shorts with the maglia rosa was a good look? :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Wedding plans......

He's getting married in the autumn- October I think. Is he planning this with his usual meticulous attention to detail, or is he leaving it all to Melissa?

Will he be asking Brad Wiggins and Dave Brailsford to his stag night?
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    Should cyclists wear helmets ?...oh my gawd!!!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    .............and although I doubt very much he'll answer it, but how much does he earn? Does Bob S slip him an extra tenner for each win? How much revenue does he generate for Columbia?

What does he think of the poor basic pay for domestiques?

If it's as frivolous an interview as I suspect (no offence to your reporter friend) I would also be quite interested in finding out what he wears in bed, is he a pajama man or does he sleep in the nude, but I'd better keep my fantasies to myself.

Sigh.

I just wish I could rid myself of this Bingo image I now have- it's evident. Cav is just a sweet, shy little Hobbit who is cruelly misrepresented in the press as a brash, arrogant know it all.