Measuring saddle tilt

cframe
cframe Posts: 171
I've seen quite a few guides stating that to measure your saddle tilt you should lie a straight edge along the length of the saddle and then measure off that surface, which seem to make sense in most instances.

If your saddle is not completely flat, eg raised rear portion, should you still measure with a straight edge over the length of the saddle or measure the angle from the flat (front) portion of the saddle?

For reference, I've got a Bonti InForm which does have a slight raised rear section.

Cheers!
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Comments

• Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I guess you could try getting the bit you actually sit on level with nose. I use a leather-hammock type saddle (one of these: http://www.mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop%20new.htm ). The mid-section is slightly lower than the rear and nose (it's designed so that it sags slightly in the middle) but it was delivered with detailed set-up instructions anyway. I have it set so that the back of the saddle is very slightly lower than the tip of the nose, which means the part where I actually sit is about level with the nose.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I've got a Specialized Toupe which has a lower middle and raised rear/front.

Measure just by putting spirit level down middle of saddle and ensuring dead level. Seems to work fine. I know (from painful experience) that if not level it will lead to pain in the neck.

(One piece of advice that b obvious but nonetheless. Need to make sure the bike is on a flat surface before measuring...)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • cframe
    cframe Posts: 171
    Thanks guys, I'll maybe drop the nose a wee bit so the mid section is a bit flatter and see how that changes the feel of it the next time I'm out.
    How's that for a slice of fried gold?