Dodgy Tan Lines

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
Well I've only been cycling about a year now and thanks to the crap summer last year have managed to avoid any noticeable tan lines.

But today.... 75 miles in mainly glorious sunshine and a slight breeze... I look rediculous. On a serious note I need to slap on the sun cream next time.

Anyone else get bothered by tan lines?
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    No!!!
    They are your badge of honour, wear them with pride :lol::lol:
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Just gone from 6 months worth of long hair to a no grade convict cut. No tan lines but bit red on top! :oops:
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Yep! Tanned above the knees, about an inch. Milk bottle white the rest! :oops:
  • reppohkcor
    reppohkcor Posts: 111
    Major Watch Line!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    At one time I had clear, pasty strap lines from my lid and brown ovals on my baldy knapper from the sunlight shining through the slits in the lid. Also had white panda eyes from my bins. The back of my hands looked like they'd been bruised with a hammer from the gaps on the back of my mitts and white hands with tanned fingers.

However, if they're dodgy, they're your problem - I can't see them from where I'm standing, so not a problem.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    COVEC wrote:
    No!!!
    They are your badge of honour, wear them with pride :lol::lol:

I'm with you. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    No!!!
    They are your badge of honour, wear them with pride

+1 for that!

It sorts the pretenders from the contenders! :lol:
  • plankton
    plankton Posts: 78
    It sorts the pretenders from the contenders

Yes but how soon will it e before someone gets a TV spray tan but with thighs and arms taped off?
    I bet it could be the new designer look in the office weekend warrior. :roll:
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    My girlfriend goes mad about my tan lines. She can't tan at all (I sometimes call her Yvette Fielding) and I tan really, really easily, and it upsets her very much that I've made a conscious decision to get them as ridiculous as possible.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I did a week-long stage race in Italy last month and so came back with lovely sharp lines, plus half a dozen geometric shapes decorating my Garzelli-style haircut.

Unfortunately I've been wearing a lot of T-shirts since coming back and they are blurring the edges on my arms somewhat, so I'm losing the hardcore look.

Maybe if I apply factor 50 to the untanned areas only....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    One more reason to shave the legs - better tanning!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Now that's a more credible excuse for us amateurs. :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Two rides this weekend did more for my tan lines than the rest of the yaer combined. Glorious weather.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Sorry to mention these two words but : SKIN CANCER.

Slap on the high factor and retain that "pale but interesting" look a little longer.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • frenchfighter
    Sorry to mention these two words but : SKIN CANCER.

Slap on the high factor and retain that "pale but interesting" look a little longer.

It is perfectly possible to get ridiculous tan lines whilst being covered in sun cream. I use Riemans P20 which as you will now is strong stuff and still have tan lines.

I find that riding without anything just makes you go red...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    @FF: the point I was trying to make was that you should avoid "burning" redness. As you say high factor creams do not block everything. A tan is inevitable if you are outdoors on a bike a lot and not a bad thing. What is bad is scorching. As a recent correspondent in Cycling weekly said "skin cancer does not stay on the skin".
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Crapaud
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just how hairy are your legs, that the hair impedes sunlight reaching the skin????

Hairy-Man-thumb-400x366.jpg :?: :?:

:shock:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Anonymous
    chewie-tour-de-france.jpg
  • Crapaud
    Wow!!!

:lol:
  • shockedsoshocked
    This thread needs pictures of bad tan lines. Who's willing?

2667_72506485888_509780888_1643934_6164752_n.jpg

8)

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Crapaud wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just how hairy are your legs, that the hair impedes sunlight reaching the skin????

Is he going back to his roots? :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    rasmussen.jpg
    TanLines.jpg
    Not mine:
    IMG_10211.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Not me!!

Tan_Lines.JPG
  • shockedsoshocked
    Bikeradar Tan Line competition thread?

I'm sure it would be popular.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Burnt me arms yesterday and got a red face, not much of a top up on me legs though. 30 miles in and out of the Lammermuirs and ran a 5K at Garvald. Another cracker sunwise today but took me Motorbike down to Wooler and Bamburgh and back, not much tan through my Leathers. :lol:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Not fair! I would love to have tan lines but with a Cockney Irish father no chance! Whats worse my mother is Greek Cypriot and I haven't picked up a single tanning gene from her.

Its so bad that the other day I got stopped by the police and cautioned for causing unnessessary glare to car drivers with my legs.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    What about double tan lines? Another line across your shin and calves from wearing knee warmers? Not that I wear more gear when it's warm and sunny, but had them a few times watching stages in the mountains where it's sunny but cold.

Are they twice as cool or even more ridiculous?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Is he going back to his roots? :shock:
    Ook!
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I am with Markso1963 on this one as not far.

My tan would beat most if not all of you now plus my lines dont show up as much :D
    28032008018.jpg
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Sicknote wrote:
    I am with Markso1963 on this one as not far.

My tan would beat most if not all of you now plus my lines dont show up as much :D
    28032008018.jpg

:lol: