Too wet and warm for a jacket query.

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
Today was raining , but at the same time it was warm and sticky.

If I use my windproof jacket, I have to use a baselayer to soak up the sweat. The jacket will keep some of the rain out but I will experience that feeling of "boil in a bag ". A raincoat will make me sweat like a pig and I will also dehydrate rapidly.

If I go out without a jacket or raincoat and just use a base layer, I will get soaked to the skin and open pores would most definitely result in me getting a cold.

So what is the clothing answer for days when its both warm and wet ?

Jimmy

Comments

• andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

My windproof shell is small enough to roll up and put in my back pocket. If it's too hot to wear the jacket then I don't - I just get wet. If you're cold later on then put the jacket on then.

Cheers, Andy
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Wet doesn't matter - as long as you're warm.

What windproof and base layer do you have? A windproof shouldn't make you sweat too much.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    base layer is under armour and windproof is giordana , my issue is that I have MS and cannot let myself overheat substantially. days when i can go out with my altura cycling jersey on are best for me, no overheating issues then :D

with warm conditions and rain you get humidity and it can make a ride a bit of a chore to say the least, part of the package for uk cycling i spose :roll:

jimmy
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I guess it depends how wet it is - if it's lashing down I have a Giordana Tenax Jacket:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... IORZJAC200

Keeps me reasonably dry and doesn't overheat too much (for me at least).

If it's not too heavy I just wear either an Assos Intermediate Jacket, or Element Zero Gilet. If I do put the rain jacket on, the jacket or Gilet will go into my pocket to help compensate.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Gilet is a good idea - keeps torso warm - arms cool. Naturally you get wet - but whatever you use you will eventually get wet - from sweat or rain....
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I'm happy with my Gore gilet in warm rain. Keeps the shoulders and front dry and stops windchill, but my back still gets wet through the mesh which helps cooling and a decent cycling jersey underneath will dry quickly.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    You could try the Assos climajet gilet. Water resistant, but still breathable. I've had the jacket version for about 8 years now, very good.
    Wiggle had them on sale, but must have sold out. Can still be found here though http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/Template.aspx?prodID=319
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    +1 for climajet.

I love my climajet jacket (not the gilet). outrageously expensive. but worth every penny - it keeps you dry and breathes well, with its anatomical cut you don't get dripping sensations down your neck or arms but its snug and doesn't act like a parachute. its transparent too so you don't end up looking like a lollipop lady.

Having said that if you're really gunning for it then you're gonna sweat in whatever you wear .
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a Rapha Gilet and Stowaway for similar combos of one or the other or both, absolutely excellent stuff. The Assos Gilet in black looked like it would be functionally brilliant but wasn't up for looking like Darth Jackson of Britain's got talent.
    The Rapha stowaway is an amazing piece of kit and in orange, as I have, it is very visible. The Assos Climajet looks to be top notch too.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I was really tempted by the Rapha stowaway, but just ordered a new climajet jacket for £96. Got the feeling I'll get an email now, saying they're out of stock or something, but fingers crossed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    good price that APIII...