Am i a saddo who rides on their own?

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    We have a baby boy but both ride a lot so share the riding/looking after. Then we get my mum to look after him at weekends so we can both ride together!

Just done a 13 miler on my todd. I enjoy the solitude, time to think, and in some places the twinge of fear!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    So we have come up with the point alot of people are saddo's :p
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    And the collective noun for a large gathering of saddos is...
    Forum, obviously :lol::wink:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • mounty
    mounty Posts: 682
    I use to ride alone 99% of the time, but now I ride with different people from one ride to the next...

Although I do still ride on my own during the week as everyone else tends to be working...

I find riding trail centres fun with other people, but I can ride whenever and with who ever..it makes no difference, as long as I am out riding... :)
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    I left all my cycling buddies in kent... I do a lot of cycling on Dartmoor by myself... I do wonder what would happen if I took a nasty tumble.. Hope the sheep know 1st aid :wink:
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    fred1star wrote:
    I left all my cycling buddies in kent... I do a lot of cycling on Dartmoor by myself... I do wonder what would happen if I took a nasty tumble.. Hope the sheep know 1st aid :wink:

Just carry cyanide pills.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Cyanide pills... don't like the sound of that.. will leave my fate to the sheep... :lol:
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    I much prefer riding in a group. The you always have someone to laugh when you get it monumentally wrong, or give you someone to laugh at...
    That said, I often ride road on my own. Thats mostly because I have no friends here. I can't stand Bath. :cry:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    edited June 2009
    Ive always ridden on my own up until a month ago when the wife and bro in law started riding, So i cut back on my own rides and went out with them. Anyway a month later i have put nearly a stone back on through riding a lot slower than usual. So i have stopped riding with them and am now in a battle to shed this weight, Yesterday i put in 36 miles xc in 3 hours and lost a few pound. Today i went for a bimble with my dad and put in 17 mile.
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm slower than most of my mates, so riding together for me tends to bring out the best in my riding, but also leaves me a ground-up human wreckage :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    I ride to work with a mate who lives around the corner, luckily we are on the same shift.

I ride everywhere else by myself, just getting as much practise in as I can before I start going to Llandegla with a group of lads from work. They go regularly, and are fitter and a bit braver than me...one used to jump out of planes for a living lol...not quite ready to embarrass myself in front of them yet!

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Not a saddo at all! I went out on my own when I first got back into cycling (non MTB to start off with) just to get back into the feel of it and avoid making a complete *rse of myself in front of others. I made a complete *rse of myself on my own, and the only people to enjoy the spectacle were me and the street cleaner out at 6.30 in the morning. I have seen him since and he always gives me a cheery wave now!

First outing with others may be this weekend - \0/
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    LAW4778 wrote:
    Hey everyone just wondered if i am some sort of saddo because i ride on my own, not through choice but none of mates are interested in MTBing
    Pretty much the same here - plus I've wasted too much riding time hanging around for people who don't turn up.
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    I'm riding on my own at the moment as the chap i normally ride with is away for the holiday season partying away in spain till the season dies off so i might have someone to ride with around sept time.

I don't mind riding on my own but i'm a naturally lazy person so i find riding with others helps push me to keep going that little extra where i might just turn round and head back if i'm on my own.
  • .blitz wrote:
    LAW4778 wrote:
    Hey everyone just wondered if i am some sort of saddo because i ride on my own, not through choice but none of mates are interested in MTBing
    Pretty much the same here - plus I've wasted too much riding time hanging around for people who don't turn up.

I once fixed up a ride with a moderator from on here. He kept me waiting for three hours then sent a text saying he'd gone somewhere else. No apologies or explanation.
    Frank Yates
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I once fixed up a ride with a moderator from on here. He kept me waiting for three hours then sent a text saying he'd gone somewhere else. No apologies or explanation.
    Ah that's bad. Another thing is when you fix up a ride with a bigger group - half of them don't turn up and the rest have such varying abilities that some go home, some clear off in front and you're left wondering why you bothered :?
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    ride on my own a fair bit, work shifts so its good to get out there when there aren't many ramblers about walking in extended line taking the whole track
    ride with a couple of mates at the weekend and sometimes with work mates after a night shift.
    as mentioned if your on your own ride within limits and have enough gear so that if you do fall badly then you'll be warm eg survival blankets cost/weight is minimal, woolie hat etc etc
    also take your phone and leave a plan of your route if possible.
    you'll be fine mate, enjoy :D 8)
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    I used to ride in a group of 6, it was fairly regular and at the time having been an ex-smoker and overweight I was pretty much the slowest every time.

Interesting that I kept at it and started going out on my own in the week inbetween.

I got fitter and lost 2 stone, I was then riding close to the front most of the time.

One week I dusted everyone on a hill, not to show off, just that I wanted to get the hill out of the way, it was noticable a few had the areshole about this.

Since then we are down to 2 or 3 of us and nine times out of ten they don't show now, despite arrangiong rides nearly every weekend !

So I ride solo 95% of the time, but I still love it and if other people out there think it's weird, then that's their problem not mine.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I usually go out in a group, Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays and sometimes Fridays after work. I'm lucky to have plenty of MTB mates who usually are up for a ride at short notice.

However if I do go riding on my own its only locally and where there are people around, so if I do come off theres help available soonish.
  • flanagaj
    flanagaj Posts: 36
    I much prefer riding on my own. I am with people all day in the office and with the family the rest of the time so going out mountain biking in the middle of no where on my own is sheer bliss. Plus I can go at my own pace without worrying that the poor unfit mate I dragged along is going to drop dead on me :evil:
  • going out for my first ride with a group on sunday only ever riden with my wife before (on the road she does not like to get dirty or the flys you get off road) any hints on what to do whats good manners etc dont want to them to think im a knob :lol:
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I ride with my friend who is a hell of a lot better than I am but very patient. Pushes me to try things harder than I would if I rode alone and I think I'm better off for it.
  • elchenuk
    elchenuk Posts: 24
    I can see the merits in both, sometimes its nice to share experiences with others but unfortunately most of my friends aren't into mb'ing.
  • badhand
    badhand Posts: 115
    I know one other person in the area who owns a bike - £3000 carbon full susser - but he only uses it once or twice a year. So am out on my own.
    To make matters worse I have been training hard for the London to Brighton so I put slicks on and I've been doing big miles on the road. Off road I don't mind being on my own but on the road I feel like a saddo.

Could join a club but what? Roadies laugh at my stumpy trying to be what it's not...
  • elchenuk
    £3k bike and it only gets used twice!! thats criminal.

Ive done some rode cycling in the past especially when the tour is on and to be honest I prefer riding on my own. Its hard to chat on the road because of the noise of the traffic and you're always either in front or behind someone otherwise some impatient car driver bips the horn at you.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    flanagaj wrote:
    Plus I can go at my own pace without worrying that the poor unfit mate I dragged along is going to drop dead on me :evil:

And from the other side of the coin, I go out on my own so that I'm not worrying that I'm holding people up, although it's nice to be with other people because it pushes me to ride harder than I would on my own.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • badhand
    +1 elchenuk. I wouldn't mind but he constantly calls my bike crap cos it only cost half and is a hardtail... :evil:

Suppose you're right about the road riding - just gets a bit dull after about 3-4 hours
  • elchenuk
    Stumpjumpers are not crap bikes! I've just bought a 2009 version and I love it. I guess it depends what your happy with, I've had bikes at half the price I paid for my Stumpjumper and had absolutely great times riding them. I know someone who gets into sport purely as a fashion statement, i.e. has to have the best snowboard, best bike etc, I don't think he even enjoys any of those activities!
  • badhand
    +9 Stumpjumper.

Think we have the same mutual friend
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    Im riding on my own at the right now having only had my new bike for a couple of weeks.

Im just trying to get some fitness back at the moment and Im using the old railway tracks/cycle network around Parsley Hay and Hartington for that purpose even though its fairly flat.

I dont mind riding on my own, but it would be nice to have someone else to ride with if only for the fact that you tend to push each other a bit. I will also need somebody with local knowledge of more varied rides in the near future I guess.
    Cube Attempt 2011