Am i a saddo who rides on their own?

LAW4778
LAW4778 Posts: 232
edited July 2009 in MTB rides
Hey everyone just wondered if i am some sort of saddo because i ride on my own, not through choice but none of mates are interested in MTBing, are there others out there that just ride on their own, luckily i am near to some good off road spots but eventualy would like stick the bike in the car and try some trail centres, do you need to be in a group to do this ie would i look sad doing a trail centre on my own or is there plenty out there like me?
Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Riding round trail centres is best done with someone else, in case anything happends.

Considered joining a club ?
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You will be safer riding on your own at a Trail Centre there will always be someone along in a few minutes. Riding on your own on a wild remote moor is less of a good idea unless you want someone to find a skeleton six months down the line.

I love riding on my own and riding with a couple of mates depends what mood I am in however my idea of hell would be a ride out with a club
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • adun1408
    adun1408 Posts: 123
    I quite often go out on my own, but it is better if you can go out in a group, just incase anything happens :(
  • puddle-rider
    puddle-rider Posts: 295
    Yep ride on my own most of the time, mainly because i'm able to do a lot of my riding midweek thus keeping the weekends free for domestic bliss.
    I do agree with the comment about trail centres, you're quite safe there on your own at the weekends but mid week they can be lonely places. Riding across open moors places like Peak District, Dale, Lakes etc if you have a serious off could be a long time before help arrives but hey if you live your life worrying about what might happen you'll never go any where!
    I ride all these remote places cause that's what attracts me to MTB you just have to be a bit more carefull than when you're out with mates.
    Rode down Minton Batch yesterday for the first time, thats awesome but if you had an off you've only got to crawl a mile to the farm at the bottom for help!!
  • Ben Ormshaw
    Ben Ormshaw Posts: 62
    I ride mainly on my own too - although I don't live near anyone lese my age/interested in mtbing.
    I'll get mates round to try new stuff I build, but I'm fine riding on my own - no shame in emergency breathers and you can go at your own pace.
    However,I have noticed that I always get wierd looks from walkers that I pass just because I'm on my own - anyone else find this?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    edited May 2009
    I ride on my own most of the time for the following reasons -

- I prefer it that way.
    - My mates are all under the thumb or monumentally unfit. Or both.
    - I can go where I like when I like.
    - No one to listen to whinging.

That said, trail centres are better if there's a few of you.

As for not going out into the wilds on your own, that's quantitative. If you go on your own and you ride like a tw@t then you'll get what you deserve.

If you go prepared and ride within your limits then you'll have some of the best times of your life. Just make sure before you set off that someone knows where you're going; when you expect to be back; and call on in regular occasions (mobile coverage allowing).
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    I have noticed that I always get wierd looks from walkers that I pass just because I'm on my own - anyone else find this?

That's because walkers are all pervs and they're undressing you with their eyes... :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    dave_hill wrote:
    I have noticed that I always get wierd looks from walkers that I pass just because I'm on my own - anyone else find this?

That's because walkers are all pervs and they're undressing you with their eyes... :shock:

When you wear lycra you are asking for it ;)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I think actually they are seeing a mental picture of you being torn apart by hungry wolves
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    I ride on my own most of the time because I normally cannot guarantee turning up for organised rides and also when on group rides there is always a lot of hanging around for riders running at a different pace thus lengthening the overall time out.

However sometimes group rides are fun - when you have loads of spare time, want a bit of banter or need guiding round an unfamiliar area.

So really it depends what you want out of your riding.

Do a google for other forums and I am sure you will find well established groups riding in your locality that you could probably join up with if you wanted.
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Same problem... I only have a couple of friends who ride, and only 1 of them rides trails.
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    Cps wrote:
    I ride on my own most of the time because I normally cannot guarantee turning up for organised rides and also when on group rides there is always a lot of hanging around for riders running at a different pace thus lengthening the overall time out.

However sometimes group rides are fun - when you have loads of spare time, want a bit of banter or need guiding round an unfamiliar area.

So really it depends what you want out of your riding.

Do a google for other forums and I am sure you will find well established groups riding in your locality that you could probably join up with if you wanted.

+1
  • J4m1e
    J4m1e Posts: 3
    Biggus86 wrote:
    Same problem... I only have a couple of friends who ride, and only 1 of them rides trails.

Same here, apart from swap couple and 1 for zero and zero :shock:
  • manc_ian
    manc_ian Posts: 166
    Nothing wrong at all with riding on your own. Ive been into MTBing for around 4 years now and always ride on my own.

None of mates are into MTBing, just football mainly. Ive taken a couple of mates out on rides but they found it hard going. Ive asked them to come again but they never have time. I did join a club for a bit aswell (Manchester Mountain Bikers) but found it hard planning my time around the club and their riding times. Riding on my own is much easier as i can go where i want, when i want.

Im even planning to go camping near Glentress in july for a couple of nights on my own. Ive got 1 weeks set leave (trainee cop) and my missus will still be at school (teacher) so id be bored for a week staying at home. Im quite looking forward to it actually.

As with safety and being on my own ive never had any probs. I do all my biking in the peaks and never had a major fall. As someone said, if you ride like an idiot then you are asking for trouble but if you know your limits then you are fine. I always come across other bikers/walkers/fell runners/horse riders when im out so never fell to isolated.
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    I go out on my own when training etc. You just lack any backup should problems occur, it's also alot more fun in a group.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Group riding can be fun it's when you have the back stragglers it can be a pain as you always have the faster riders wanting to shoot off.

I tend to ride on my own nowadays, far less hassle, no one fussing or being impatient, go where you want, ride how you want and so long as you're careful you'll be fine. :)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I prefer trail centres in company- lots of stops, lots of chatting, support if things go wrong, and short sections usually so never too much waiting for people- and natural XC routes by myself so that I can always set my own pace and stop and start when I want. It's good to get away from everyone from time to time I think, I do all my best thinking in the hills.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    I went out for an MTB ride with a club once and it was awful. It seemed to be a competition to see who could go fastest. Then, after an hours racing, we wasted an hour at the cafe talking about who was the fastest. I'd much rather spend 2 hours cycling, even if it is slower, and that is why I go solo mostly.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    I always ride on my own.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    I almost always ride alone - never bothers me in the slightest - one of the few ways I can get complete peace!
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Generally always on my own unless I can convince a couple of people in work to come out...

Its been pointed out previously, but gives the freedom of being able to do what you want, when you want
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • AndyBike
    AndyBike Posts: 126
    Yep as Mr Hill said and.....

Dont have to talk, thats for girls to do
    Go as fast as I want, where I want for as long as I want

I please my self.....and have been doing so for a while now.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i ride on my own sometimes as my riding mates like to ride long xc rides, which i don't mind occasionally, but i'm more of a freeride/all mountain rider and love going downhills fast :D:D:D

not the most sensible thing to be done alone though!!! but hey ho, needs must

kev
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    I used to run a club, now ride almost exclusively on my own. All my dodgiest rides have been solo - it adds to the thrill! :twisted:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    That said - ALWAYS drop a quid in the mountain rescue tub, just for good Karma.

And does anyone fancy a ride this afternoon? Peaks or Llandegla...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • dave_hill
    Anybody not want to get together for a ride sometime? Not this weekend maybe?
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • i all ways ride on my own as ive got no friends and am a misserable old get :lol:
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    I usually ride on my own. I like to start early - 9AM ish - which is far too early for most others. Just don't do any silly stunts. Was planning High Street on Saturday but Red Crag will be a quagmire after this rain, if it ever stops, so I'm going to ride on my own round Grassington. Anyone want a wave as we pass each other?
    Frank Yates
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    myopic wrote:
    I almost always ride alone - never bothers me in the slightest - one of the few ways I can get complete peace!
    +1
    Most of my MTB'ing is generally limited to a couple of hours 'mad dash' mid week (which is a last minute thing, 2 or 3 times a week).
    Suits me with fewer people about, as my local ride involves a fair few paths that aren't strictly speaking cycle paths..

I've had a few big'ish (too me) offs, but been lucky in that a few minutes being dazed/winded/mopping blood applying plasters, and I've been able to roll/stumble home. (Adrenalin sp?, is amazing stuff :? )
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i sometimes like to ride on my own just so i can get a better work out than riding with slower friends.
    free-ride/DH though i prefer not to ride alone
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337