Lance and the Italian Press

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Seems the love affair is well and truly over. The Italians have gone the same way as the French and the blacklist has been extended to cover a whole nation.
Since the press "fingered" Armstrong as a key mover in the Milan crit debacle, he is refusing all their advances.
At the end of stage 10, one reporter was seen to get the sharp end of his tongue and elbow.
Cyclingnews has a report today and now this, from elsewhere:-

Yesterday morning Paolo Bettini tried to approach him. But Lance, maybe seeing his press badge, snubbed him. Paolo was actually surprised, and saddened, by Lance's behaviour.

Age hasn't mellowed Johnny any?
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There's gratitude for you. A $2m appearance fee and he refuses to talk to the media. What's humbug in Italian?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    This is the new open and transparent Armstrong, no?
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    If he is looking to form his own team in the remnant of Astana, p*ssing off the press in the countries of the 2 major Grand Tours isn't the brightest move.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    It's the Italians, they've got a vendeta against him :lol: .
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Equipe says that in return a large section of the Italian and English-speaking media have promised to boycott him, they will not seek to interview him and will stop relaying his twitter messages.
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    edited May 2009
    Kléber wrote:
    Equipe says that in return a large section of the Italian and English-speaking media have promised to boycott him, they will not seek to interview him and will stop relaying his twitter messages.

Yup, his Lordship has picked up on that already:

''Bitter sports reporters are boycotting @lancearmstrong's Tweets. Good luck with that, and welcome to 2009.''

I'm sure he's a lovely chap really...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I noticed during today's stage that RAI didn't feature the regular camerashots of him in the peloton and thought it odd.
    Can the ego stand it and what crap value for $2 million.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    An appearance fee has strings attached and carries certain expectation with it - I believe Armstrong was going to heal the sick by visiting earthquake victims before/after stage 15?

He's just utterly hilarious isn't he? Surprised he isn't permanently dizzy with all the spinning he does. Funny to see the press bite back - and sad that the one good thing he's involved with, Livestrong, will suffer.

But then this was never about the cancer awareness was it - it was only ever about the midlife crisis on wheels.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    ''Bitter sports reporters are boycotting @lancearmstrong's Tweets"
    :lol: Sure they are...
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://twitpic.com/5kark

I'd rather give my cash to Sir Ranulph Fiennes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rockmount
    iainf72 wrote:

Yeah ..but do ya ??
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yeah ..but do ya ??

I have indeed in the past. I'd strongly urge anyone in the UK who wanted to donate to a cancer charity to give the money to one which did something in the UK.

But that's just me...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    It's been a good Giro so far, but he's done his best to leave a slightly sour taste in the mouth. There's no need for all these histrionics.

Just one more Grand Tour and that'll be all three organisers he's alienated. Sad thing is I think he needs these 'battles' to function day to day, he's some got issues that need resolving. Off the bike.

I do actually wish he'd go away now......and if he doesn't, that Contador drops his a$$ in July.
  • rockmount
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yeah ..but do ya ??

I have indeed in the past. I'd strongly urge anyone in the UK who wanted to donate to a cancer charity to give the money to one which did something in the UK.

But that's just me...
    Me too ...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Is he speaking to Pierre and Bobby though?
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    micron wrote:
    An appearance fee has strings attached and carries certain expectation with it - I believe Armstrong was going to heal the sick by visiting earthquake victims before/after stage 15?

He's just utterly hilarious isn't he? Surprised he isn't permanently dizzy with all the spinning he does. Funny to see the press bite back - and sad that the one good thing he's involved with, Livestrong, will suffer.

But then this was never about the cancer awareness was it - it was only ever about the midlife crisis on wheels.

Nothing would heel that prick. I can't stop laughing, it really is top entertainment .
  • rockmount
    Jeeez ... girls are sooo spiteful :wink:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Kléber wrote:

Oh good! It's all so boring. Yawn. Get a lift. Why do you lot all pander to The Twit's ego all the time?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Pater
    Pater Posts: 10
    I for one am glad he is helping cure cancer in Italy. The doctors really need his help over there.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I noticed during today's stage that RAI didn't feature the regular camerashots of him in the peloton and thought it odd.
    Can the ego stand it and what crap value for $2 million.

...how do you know how widely the race has been reported around the world this year as compared to previous years?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Who exactly is paying the $2 million? :?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RCS, the Giro organisers. Angelo Zomegnan admitted that they made a sizable donation to his charity...
  • micron
    Wonder if it went to charity or went the same way as the TDU 'donation'?

There's been nothing in the Times, Telegraph, very little in the Guardian, nothing in the Metro (which had started to cover cycling) - struggling to see where the stories about the Giro are and it seems that, if Armstrong generated any interest, it's waned now that a) there's no possible doping violation to report and b) he's dropped way off the pace. Is this good for cycling?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    micron wrote:
    Wonder if it went to charity or went the same way as the TDU 'donation'?

There's been nothing in the Times, Telegraph, very little in the Guardian, nothing in the Metro (which had started to cover cycling) - struggling to see where the stories about the Giro are and it seems that, if Armstrong generated any interest, it's waned now that a) there's no possible doping violation to report and b) he's dropped way off the pace. Is this good for cycling?

I don't think part a) needs an answer from anyone....
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Pater
    Pater Posts: 10
    afx237vi are you sure that it went to charity? I was under the impression it was going the same way as the money he gets for his speaking engagements, eg into his pockets.

Its an expensive business personally rallying awareness of cancer so I dont think we should begrudge him making a few million out of it.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    This LA not talking to the press is pure rubbish, and again just highlights how biased his detractors are. :wink:

Go to his twitter site and see for yourself. Latest entry:

http://twitpic.com/5vfiu - Who says I'm boycotting the press? Marco Casartelli did an interview for his class project!

Although the name Casartelli rings a bell.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Marco Casartelli is Fabio Casartelli's son. He was a baby when his father died. To his credit, Armstrong has consistently supported the Casartelli family.
  • SpaceJunk
    andyp wrote:
    Marco Casartelli is Fabio Casartelli's son. He was a baby when his father died. To his credit, Armstrong has consistently supported the Casartelli family.

Yeah, I fully aware of who he is. Just thought it funny to see LA make mention of his 'snubbing'.
  • micron
    I'm very surprised he let that picture into the public domain - not only is a major crime being committed but exactly where is his left hand?
  • SpaceJunk
    edited May 2009
    micron wrote:
    I'm very surprised he let that picture into the public domain - not only is a major crime being committed but exactly where is his left hand?

I'm more concerned with LA's general appearance: Is that the start of a 'fro he's got going there?

Not sure of the baggy grey shorts either, complete with black knee high socks (no doubt a forms of Skins), and then the dainty crossing of legs is the icing on the cake.