Sean Kelly

Comments

• volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i'm getting a little concerned how manny pics of sean's legs you have :?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I've only just started watching Eurosport for the push bike racing and I have to say I'm enjoying Harmon and Kelly. They seem to be a great wee double act. I dunno how I'm going to cope with the ITV coverage at the Tour.

Who's this?

<impersonation>

and this man
    this man on the bicycle
    this man riding the bicycle
    the man is <name of cyclist>
    He knows that if he wants to win this bike race, he has to beat the others
    and he says to the others "if you want to win this bike race, you'll need to beat me"

</impersonation>
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    kelly_legs.jpg

The nicest pair of shoes I have ever owned, £85 in the summer of 1990. I m looking at one of them now, I lost the other ten years ago but the remaining one is to nice to throw, size 9-10 if anyone has a left over left, I have put it on and it fits like a glove, it is not black and white , black and yellow.
  • dulldave you missed a trick there with the impersonation:

<imp_mode>the man that goes by the name of [name of cyclist] </imp_mode>

Yes Paul, he goes by that name because IT IS HIS NAME.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    "Let me tell you, this guy is a phenomenal bike rider (in the sport of professional bike racing)"...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Stock phrase number 17.
  • don key
    We may have witnessed Séans long awaited successor in the form of a young fellow by the name of Bennett who won todays stage in the Ras, 18 years old and from Carrick Unsure.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "...it's been shot down."

Eh? I must have missed some erudite point of blinding inescapable objective logic there then. Sorry, but arguments along the line of "I also think goatees are stupid" hardly cut it as conclusive rebuttal!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    meagain wrote:

Eh? I must have missed some erudite point of blinding inescapable objective logic there then. Sorry, but arguments along the line of "I also think goatees are stupid" hardly cut it as conclusive rebuttal!

You have a goatee, don't you?
  • Bartoli
    Bartoli Posts: 51
    don key wrote:
    We may have witnessed Séans long awaited successor in the form of a young fellow by the name of Bennett who won todays stage in the Ras, 18 years old and from Carrick Unsure.

Sam Bennett has been kicking our ar*es around these parts since he was 14.Really hope he goes all the way.Such a nice lad too.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    afx237vi wrote:
    meagain wrote:

You have a goatee, don't you?

P***ing myself!!!! LOL :lol::lol::lol:

For what its worth i love listening to Harmon, after years of Duffers its great to hear some like David. he always keeps it interesting, and Kelly.... well, what a legend! I love the way you just know he's dying to swear his arse of about someone...
  • don key
    Bartoli wrote:
    don key wrote:

Sam Bennett has been kicking our ar*es around these parts since he was 14.Really hope he goes all the way.Such a nice lad too.

What cat are you, if your Elite it makes it even better but if your a fourth, well that's different?
  • kelly was, is and always will be, the guv'nor.
  • Pater
    Pater Posts: 10
    The problem I have with Sean and also Phil and Paul is that they only tell you half the story. They never mention that poor alesandro petacchi had to overcome terrible asthma to win over Mark Cavendish. OK, sure, theres someone in the peloton who overcame cancer but still this shouldnt overshadow Alejet's amazing comeback against a condition that debilitates many other people.

Likewise Danilo Di Luca's recent health problemsthe other year where he seemed to be in constant contact with his doctor requesting medication to overcome whatever illness he was afflicted with. That he has managed to come back so miraculously strong is phenomenal and surely worth a mention.

Or maybe Sean doesn't like mentioning these sort of things?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    On the whole they make a great team. Sometimes Sean Kelly's heavy accent can be a touch hard to comprehend but i love it when David Harmon digs a hole for himself with the question for the day. The other days "which Russian" was a classic :D
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    On the whole they make a great team. Sometimes Sean Kelly's heavy accent can be a touch hard to comprehend but i love it when David Harmon digs a whole for himself with the question for the day. The other days "which Russian" was a classic :D
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Pater wrote:
    The problem I have with Sean and also Phil and Paul is that they only tell you half the story. They never mention that poor alesandro petacchi had to overcome terrible asthma to win over Mark Cavendish. OK, sure, theres someone in the peloton who overcame cancer but still this shouldnt overshadow Alejet's amazing comeback against a condition that debilitates many other people.

Likewise Danilo Di Luca's recent health problemsthe other year where he seemed to be in constant contact with his doctor requesting medication to overcome whatever illness he was afflicted with. That he has managed to come back so miraculously strong is phenomenal and surely worth a mention.

Or maybe Sean doesn't like mentioning these sort of things?

It's because it ruins the coverage. Petacchi and Di Luca have both served suspensions for what they've been caught doing, and making accusations based on performances rather than irrefutable evidence both ruins the coverage and they get sued for it.

Harmon goes on about how he feels the system is rigorous enough, which is fair enough. Can't really expect him to do much else. If they're allowed to race he has to commentate on them! What goes on in their veins is not of concern to the commentators. What happens on the road does.

The thought of doping that creeps into my head everytime I see a special ride ruins my enjoyment of it. It'd be doubly worse if the commentators kept saying it.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Bartoli
    don key wrote:
    Bartoli wrote:
    don key wrote:

What cat are you, if your Elite it makes it even better but if your a fourth, well that's different?

I'm a 2nd cat.But trust me,we have plenty of 1st Cat's,including National Champions and Ras Stage winners around here and Sam has shown everyone his back wheel in that time.

1 example of him is beating Ciaran Power(ex Linda McCartney's & Navigators) in a gallop in the Suir Valley 3 day(Clonmel,Co.Tipperary) in 2007.He was 1st year Junior and Ciaran was not holding back.

Don't be negative with regard to him or what category I ride.If this guy was British,he'd be on a fast track to a Pro contract.Check out his win in the Junior Euro Champs Points race(2nd ever time racing on a track),and his win overall in the Junior Tour of Ireland in '08.Speaking of which Team Sky would do alot worse than to maybe give him a stagaire contract during the 2010 season.
  • Pater
    The commentators add to the problem by maintaining the omerta. They should mention it, its part and parcel of watching an event. There's nothing untrue in mentioning Dr Ferraris close links with cycling and how he is a close family friend of lance armstrong. Its better than talking about last nights dinner or some wobbly wheelers result from back home.

They will disagree with the UCI on bike design but they never seem to disagree with the UCIs reluctance to perform random start line testing. As long as they have got their head in the sand on these matters they are doing fans of cycle SPORT (note sport is the operative word here, its not an enterainment show like professional wrestling ) a dis-service.
  • Bartoli
    Pater wrote:
    The commentators add to the problem by maintaining the omerta. They should mention it, its part and parcel of watching an event. There's nothing untrue in mentioning Dr Ferraris close links with cycling and how he is a close family friend of lance armstrong. Its better than talking about last nights dinner or some wobbly wheelers result from back home.

They will disagree with the UCI on bike design but they never seem to disagree with the UCIs reluctance to perform random start line testing. As long as they have got their head in the sand on these matters they are doing fans of cycle SPORT (note sport is the operative word here, its not an enterainment show like professional wrestling ) a dis-service.

I hope you're not alluding to the Ras as "some wobbly wheelers" race.Check back through even it's recent history,and see the calibre of rider who have competed.It may not be the Giro,but it matters to alot of people.
  • teagar
    Pater wrote:

That's tantamount to saying "this person might be cheating". You can't commentate on a race like that! You know that's ridiculous.

Commentators, including Harmon do say they want stricter testing etc. You're looking for a public witch hunt. Unfortunately, without any evidence, claiming someone's doping or could be is slander (or libel if you're writing on here!). Cyclists probably won't sue people on here, but they might sue commentators, since they have a much wider audience and are there since they are considered to be knowledgable on the subject.

Surely as long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter? Granted you want it to be fair and honest to enjoy it more, but I also want people to stop mugging me and burgling my flat - it's unlikely to stop. As long as there is a system to keep a good lid on it so it doesn't get too rife and keep it exclusive to a real minority. That's what people are working on, and that's also what the commentators DO comment on. Good quality bureaucratic systems are what are going to solve the doping problem. Random slander from commentators is unlikely to.

Rather than getting all high and moral on doping, get practical about it. Commentators ruining the viewing experience by talking about doping, is only going to put people off, which ineivtably harms the SPORT...
  • Pater
    edited May 2009
    No where am I suggesting they commit slander. I'm simply saying there are certain truths they can say but choose not to. They keep it saccharine sweet as much as they possibly can, as you say because they dont want to ruin the 'sport'

what they dont want us realise is that the sport was ruined a long time ago and they are further facilitating that. You might have enjoyed watching Vino's epic battling, Ras and Rico's fantastic dancing climbing style, Tyler's bravery or FLoyd's amazing day of recovery, Schumi's attacking style or Valve-piti's determined attacking but personally I took little pleasure from it because as a long time fan of cycling it wasn't hard to know what was coming next.

Stil, Eurosport France have got a real comedian working for them in Richard 'Ma Veritas' Virenque. A figure of ridicule in France now whose name has entered public use as a verb for blatant bare face cheating its no surprise the only place he can work now is as a cycling commentator.
    Sometimes we need to step back from our 'sport' and take an objective look at it.
  • Moomaloid
    you have to realise that their hands are tied to a degree. talking about doping on air all the time is not a good look for Eurpsport who we want to keep on giving us coverage. common sense really. THey say as much as they can i think...
  • Pater
    Exactly, theyve got their own cycling advertisers to keep happy and keep the bike cash rolling into the channel. Omerta rules!

Also Kelly probably wouldn't want Willy Voets allegations about him aired too often. Or mention of his own 2 positive test results from when he was racing himself.
  • don key
    Bartoli wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Bartoli wrote:
    don key wrote:

I'm a 2nd cat.But trust me,we have plenty of 1st Cat's,including National Champions and Ras Stage winners around here and Sam has shown everyone his back wheel in that time.

1 example of him is beating Ciaran Power(ex Linda McCartney's & Navigators) in a gallop in the Suir Valley 3 day(Clonmel,Co.Tipperary) in 2007.He was 1st year Junior and Ciaran was not holding back.

Don't be negative with regard to him or what category I ride.If this guy was British,he'd be on a fast track to a Pro contract.Check out his win in the Junior Euro Champs Points race(2nd ever time racing on a track),and his win overall in the Junior Tour of Ireland in '08.Speaking of which Team Sky would do alot worse than to maybe give him a stagaire contract during the 2010 season.

I don'ted as I haven't, have you by any chance misconstrued something I never said.

If you were a fourth cat it would be slightly different.
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    Bartoli wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Bartoli wrote:
    don key wrote:

I have full faith that both Sam & Sean will have full contracts with VC La Pomme after they try out with them in July. It didn't do Scanlon, Roche, Deignan or Martin any harm riding with la pome for a couple of years ;-)

I was delighted to see the young irish lads ride so well in the Ras. hats off to them.

Oh, how many 18 year olds have a photo on the wall of the day they beat Jaan Kirsipuu, Niko Eeckhout, Russ Downing, et all in a sprint... :o
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Sean was and still is a hero of Mine - God if the Commentator doesnt have an accent south of the Watford gap you cant understand it. I Can understand him perfectly

Now Sean - The Managers Job at Celtic is free . come and sign you fit the bill your a Good 100% Catholic Bhoy. - we need a bit of Toughness from the Carrick King :D
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Sean may have been a legend as a cyclist, but I think he is really dull as a co-commentator. On the other hand I think David Harmon is a good commentator, as he at least sounds interesting, energetic and has a sense of humour.

The things Sean says that really frustrates us (me and my wife), apart from starting nearly every sentence with "Yes well certaintly ...." are:

Why does he always says "general classment" instead of "general classification"?

Why does he insist on referring to the Tour of France, when everyone one else knows it as the Tour de France?

I'm surprised that David doesn't correct him or at least wind him up a bit.
  • Moomaloid
    He's an ex pro rider, general classment is the correct description...
  • teagar
    Sean may have been a legend as a cyclist, but I think he is really dull as a co-commentator. On the other hand I think David Harmon is a good commentator, as he at least sounds interesting, energetic and has a sense of humour.

The things Sean says that really frustrates us (me and my wife), apart from starting nearly every sentence with "Yes well certaintly ...." are:

Why does he always says "general classment" instead of "general classification"?

Why does he insist on referring to the Tour of France, when everyone one else knows it as the Tour de France?

I'm surprised that David doesn't correct him or at least wind him up a bit.

Well the Tour de France is French for the Tour of France, and he speaks english, not franglish, so that makes sense. I call it the Tour of France. 8)

The classement is probably just a habit he picked up in Flanders/the Netherlands, which is what it's called, and it is what it is refered to in the peleton... :roll: