This TT could be a classic !

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited May 2009 in Pro race
I know thats possibly a contracdiction in terms given TTs can be somewhat dull but ive got a feeling about tommorows chrono

http://www.steephill.tv/2009/giro-d-ita ... /stage-12/

Not being one to get too excited about TTs this parcours of this one has the makings of a great stage with difficult climbs technical descents and spectacular scenery Got a feeling The Killer may just do enough to hang on to the Maglia Rosa as well.
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Absolutely MG, I think when Levi L gets tucked in behind the tri bars he will smoke Di Luca..I predict Levi in Pink by 20-30 seconds tomorrow
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Absolutely MG, I think when Levi L gets tucked in behind the tri bars he will smoke Di Luca..I predict Levi in Pink by 20-30 seconds tomorrow

Mmm i dunno Dave i didnt think Levi looked too impressive the other day (granted a TT is a different beast altogether ) and DDL is a great decsender and a real fighter so he may just limit his losses to 1.20 or so and that may just keep him pink.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    Could be a classic

may be you're right, MorayGub. i'm following cycling for more than 30 years now, and i don't remember any similar TT parcours. it's more like a 60k prologue. i picked Basso for PTP, but have to admit, i have no idea who's gonna make it.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I agree Levi will be in Pink but I'm nto sure it'll be by enough time. He really needs 1.5 minutes or he's going to lose too much time in the coming mountain stages.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I reckon it's shaping up nicely for a Menchov victory. Maybe not in the TT but overall.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Noodley wrote:
    I reckon it's shaping up nicely for a Menchov victory. Maybe not in the TT but overall.

I definitely think it's between Di Luca and Menchov, I'm sure Levi will put a couple of minutes into Di Luca on the TT, but I reckon Di Luca is bound to get some bonus time at the end of at least one stage to go above Levi. Menchov is definitely the dark horse..
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Sastre will do a really good ride tomorrow (not win, but top 8 ) and eventually win this Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Agree on all points. Thankfully, another belter of a day, weather wise. Heaven knows what would happen were it wet.
    Stunning area, know it well. The roads are narrow, the bends tight, as they hug the coastline. Hardly a flat level anywhere.

I frankly haven't a clue how it will pan out, so that is a huge plus point. I don't even think it will look much like a trial, so little time will be spent tucked in behind those tri bars, Dave mentioned.

Shocks aplenty, I reckon, even if LL pulls off the win.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I have a feeling Wiggins will get close if not win.

Levi will probably go well but his advantage won't be as massive because it's so technical and the aero advantage won't be as great. There can always be odd surprises when it's hilly and technical.

Remember this from last year?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/ju ... elibere083
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It should be a race-defining stage. Often the TT stage can be a boring procession with the dominant favourites pulling out time on the more exciting riders but this time a lot of the contenders have a chance thanks to the hilly nature. It is long and recovery over the next 3-4 days will play a part, you can win the TT on one day but pay for it in the stages to come.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    edited May 2009
    Intresting what Sean Kelly said today on commentary about the TT.
    That Levi mite not ride for the leaders jersey but leave Di Luca stay in the lead with about 20 seconds. That way keeping the pressure on Di Luca into the third week, plus Di luca hasn't had his normal bad day yet?
    Which could well be tomorrow, so please disregard what Mr Kelly said??

Are they starting tomorrow in reverse GC? This could also play a part with such a long course, with the riders being able to keep time checks on not just the riders in front but also riders that follow them.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Not too sure how the GC will look after tomorrow but I reckon Levi could take the win, especially as he can put out good power on hills. I'm a big Cancellara fan, but his chances could be affected tomorrow because of his lack of climbing ability.

Actually, Lance has looked very good on TTs this year, I really would not be suprised if he was in the top 5 tomorrow, although I very much doubt that even a 1st place will be enough for him to drag himself back up into the GC as a serious contender. Not a big Lance fan, although he's interesting to watch in the TTs.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Bhima wrote:
    I'm a big Cancellara fan, but his chances could be affected tomorrow because of his lack of climbing ability.

Cancellara has pulled out....
  • redddraggon
    Bhima wrote:
    I'm a big Cancellara fan, but his chances could be affected tomorrow because of his lack of climbing ability.

His climbing isn't that bad - he did win Gold in the Beijing TT remember and that wasn't exactly flat.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wiggins could be interesting, his climbing has come on leaps and bounds...
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Must say that I'm really curious to see how Mr A does (which is not normally the case) now that he seems to be getting a bit of form back. Hopefully the GC pack will be shuffled about somewhat with a few new faces moving into a more challenging position ready for the final week. But even if the racing is crap the stunning scenery of the Cinque Terre will make up for it.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Intresting what Sean Kelly said today on commentary about the TT.
    That Levi mite not ride for the leaders jersey but leave Di Luca stay in the lead with about 20 seconds. That way keeping the pressure on Di Luca into the third week, plus Di luca hasn't had his normal bad day yet?
    Which could well be tomorrow, so please disregard what Mr Kelly said??

Are they starting tomorrow in reverse GC? This could also play a part with such a long course, with the riders being able to keep time checks on not just the riders in front but also riders that follow them.

I can't see that being the case - there are too many others in contention for him to start basing his tactics on a 2 way fight between him and DiLuca. I can see DiLuca having a bad day - but less likely DiLuca, Menchov, Sastre will all have bad days and any of them could possibly drop Leipheimer on a mountain stage.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Are they starting tomorrow in reverse GC?

Yes.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, I can't see Leipheimer going slow on purpose, that would just be silly and he could regret it if he loses the giro by a second. :lol: He's probably going to give it 100%, even if he's hoping to come behind DDL.
    Noodley wrote:
    Bhima wrote:

What? Why? What's the problem?

I've just seen him on Eurosport now! 1st/2nd at the bottom of today's final descent, pulling everyone along!

And yes, he is a great climber, I just meant to say that he's obviously not as good as Levi from what i've seen.

Lots of talk about people using standard road bikes with clip-ons tomorrow, but I don't think many GC contenders will do it to be honest, especially when it's 60.5km where big chunks of time could be lost.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    My general predictions for the TT

Overperforming: Sastre, DiLuca, Pellezotti

About what you'd expect: Basso, Menchov

Underperforming: Leipheimer, Rogers

That's the GC top 7, and only potential winners now, covered
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Kléber wrote:
    It should be a race-defining stage. Often the TT stage can be a boring procession with the dominant favourites pulling out time on the more exciting riders but this time a lot of the contenders have a chance thanks to the hilly nature. It is long and recovery over the next 3-4 days will play a part, you can win the TT on one day but pay for it in the stages to come.

Not if your name is Stefan Schumacher.

Schuy kicked butt in last year's TdF TTs and then was in every single break on every single day. It was amazing -- what a talent. :wink:

I would expect The Killer to do well tomorrow -- he probably knows the course very well. Look what he did on Tuesday -- he knew when to dig.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Really difficult to judge, especially since we havn't seen a big TT or super selective big mountains to sort them all out.

I have no idea how this is gonig to pan out, though, given that it's a TT, and a long one at that, I still can't see it being a thriller. Interesting to see what bike they will ride.

I heard that Basso might be getting a custom rig just for the stage!

I've heard the decents are really technical which might rule out Leipheimer, Armstrong, Basso, and Menchov for the win.

Given Sastre's Tour TT last year, maybe he'd be a good bet! He got downhill fast enough yesterday...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Will be fascinating.

Alot of pundits are referring to the two technical descents on the course. DDL showed how good he is at them the other day; I think he will be able to limit his loses and if he does lose the pink jersey, I don't think it will be by much.

I think Menchov has a better chance than Levi of being in pink. I'm starting to have reservations about Levi now.

I reckon Rogers will fall by the wayside, and I think Sastre might also lose a bit of time - not much - just because of ther technical descents.

Funny how originally I thought there could be massive time gaps on the stage, but riders like Levi are saying there wont be huge time splits.

Can't wait to find out.
  • Hope your wrong about Rogers, his my PTP pick to try and jump some spots no-one rates him, not that his given much reason to. Going to be a very intresting stage if DLL doesnt lose some serious time then the rest are going to have to rely on him having a really bad day.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Hope your wrong about Rogers, his my PTP pick to try and jump some spots no-one rates him, not that his given much reason to. Going to be a very intresting stage if DLL doesnt lose some serious time then the rest are going to have to rely on him having a really bad day.

I hope I am wrong too Richard. I think as we currently stand Mick has a better chance of winning the Giro then what Cadel has come July. Would be nice to have a GT winner.
  • redddraggon
    Bhima wrote:
    Noodley wrote:

What? Why? What's the problem?

Not everyone who starts a GT intends to finish.
    Bhima wrote:
    Lots of talk about people using standard road bikes with clip-ons tomorrow, but I don't think many GC contenders will do it to be honest, especially when it's 60.5km where big chunks of time could be lost.

Why won't they do it? Most of it is climbing or technical descending, very little flat, makes sense to use a normal Road bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    As i said on another thread I rode this course last year while on holiday in Monterosso. It will not be an excellent stage, rather yet another ridiculously difficult Giro test which is so tough it ends up having little to no effect on the GC (plan de corones).

I wouldn't expect huge differences between main men today, unless DDL has had his special wheetabix again this morning
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    RichN95 wrote:
    My general predictions for the TT

Overperforming: Sastre, DiLuca, Pellezotti

About what you'd expect: Basso, Menchov

Underperforming: Leipheimer, Rogers

That's the GC top 7, and only potential winners now, covered

I think that's the way i'm seeing it too. Leipheimer crashed yesterday- Bad cut on forearm is going to affect his position on tribars. Also his extreme position, which is very aero, only works in straight lines. There is not much of that today.
    Armstrong has done a lot of work over last two days (Sestriere and Turchino pass) so he may be a timecheck for Levi to ride to.

One things for sure, this is going to be a great tt to watch!
    No one can be sure what the outcome will be. I just hope weather is good otherwise it will be a lottery in the wet.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think Armstrong might give it a good ride today - probably not in the form to win it but he's a good bike handler, can climb, one of the best time triallists ever. I know he's looked a bit twitchy in the bunch but I don't think that necessarily equates to being nervous cornering in the dry - didn't his group come back to Leipheimer's group on the descent a couple of days ago ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    iainf72 wrote:
    I have a feeling Wiggins will get close if not win.

I'd like to think he'll do well, he can TT for sure and can now climb......what's missing ?