Recovery / easy stamina rides in hilly areas

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can do long, gentle rides (endurance / fat burning / recovery) at any easy tempo / heart rate in an area full of hills? I love riding in the hills, but I find it hard to do these "easy" long rides in the area where I live. The furthest I can ride before the roads start going uphill is about 5 miles. After a hard training session I like to take it easy the next day and stay in heart rate phase (don't know the English word :( ) 2 or 3. And a 3 or 4 hour gentle ride is impossible. Unfortunately, there are no easy hills here and, apart from going backwards and forwards along the flat part or using a home trainer every ride is an effort. Help!

Comments

• i sort of have this problem as well. no real way around it other than just to take it real easy on the hills, spinning on a light gear.

another problem i have is that my heart rate is really responsive. when i am zone training and find myself overshooting the max for, say, zone three, i ease back a bit but then find that all of a sudden (e.g. 20 seconds later) if i'm not careful i'm in zone 2 and need to step it up quickly again. i really need to concentrate to keep in a specified zone and ease up/inccrease power very gradually.