Training for Newbie

gmitch
gmitch Posts: 4
Hi i have recently bought a road bike and I am loving it.
I would like to improve can anyone recommend a training program which I can follow, I have just got a HRM so I would like to incorporate that.
I am not looking to race (at the moment) but i would like to have the ability to go out with others without being left behind.

Thanks
Graham

Comments

• ohlala!
    ohlala! Posts: 121
    I would recommend you to build you're base miles first and then maybe incorporate some high intensity interval training during the week - just to get the lungs working.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Hi Graham,

Could you give us some more info as to your current level and where you want to get to?

How far do you ride at the moment. What's your average speed, etc?
  • gmitch
    Hi Graham,

Could you give us some more info as to your current level and where you want to get to?

How far do you ride at the moment. What's your average speed, etc?

I am currently riding around 20 miles 2 or 3 times a week. I have got past the sore backside stage!!.
    My average speed at the moment for the 20 miles is between 13 and 15 mph.

I recently gave up smoking and am overweight at the moment so i find it difficult climbing but i can ride on the flat quite well.

I am looking for some kind of program which will get me fitter, lose weight and to climb better.

Like i said i have just got a HRM and so i would like to do some kind of training using it.

Thanks for the help

Graham
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    The easy answer is simply ride more! Try to build up to 5 or 6 days a week, every week try and go a bit further than last week. Then in a month or so, add some intervals in and see if they help.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Infamous wrote:
    The easy answer is simply ride more! Try to build up to 5 or 6 days a week, every week try and go a bit further than last week. Then in a month or so, add some intervals in and see if they help.

Good advice, there's no substitue for time spent in the saddle on the road. Try to up the mileage a little every week, and push the average mph if you can. It's important to build a good base fitness before you start on something more strenuous like intervals.

I always try to push myself a little when I'm riding, if it feels a little uncomfortable then it's doing you good. I've never forgotten what I read somewhere - 'If you train the same you stay the same'
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    gmitch wrote:
    I am currently riding around 20 miles 2 or 3 times a week. I have got past the sore backside stage!!.
    My average speed at the moment for the 20 miles is between 13 and 15 mph.

20 miles two or three times a week sounds like an excellent start - For a new rider, I don't think a specific program would yeild substantial gains over and above the incorporation of more hills and/or more intensity into your current rides. Regular riding, in combination with a sensible diet, will help you lose weight - it'll also increase your cardio-fitness - regards "better climbing", the more you climb, the more your body (and mind) becomes conditioned to the demands of climbing.
  • gmitch
    Thanks for all the advice, its much appreciated.