Armstrong looks heavy; no win for Lance in Tour or Giro??

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Not sure whether it's the dodgy dimensions of my Telly Picture but I think Armstrong is carrying his Marathon muscles and maybe a bit of upper body muscle too. I've just read an article by Simeoni which suggests Armstrong looking a bit heavy in the Milan San Remo.
I have a sneaking feeling that Mr Armstrong may not only be a bit leathery but also a bit too heavy for the major Tours. This maybe as good as it gets for the 7 times winner??
No victory on Vesuvius, Sestriere or even in Verbier in France this year??
Cheers Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    I agree, doesn't look the same build at all. Maybe he'd have been better suited to having a crack some one day classics as a comeback rather than the tours, probably would have been more popular as well.
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Well there's always next year! And the year after that.... :lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Still 6 weeks to lose the extra weight. That's one of the reasons he's riding the Giro.

You'll see a leaner Lance at the Tour. Don't forget - we're not used to seeing him ride competitvely at this time of year!
  • colint
    Fair point, and he did have the lay off with the collarbone I suppose
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    Perhaps his ''preparation'' hasn't got under way yet?
  • colint
    FFS, I despair, I really do.
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    maybe something to do with the fact that he's had a big layoff and he's 37 yrs old, the world has moved on...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    colint wrote:

What?
  • colint
    colint wrote:

What?

The thread is about Armstrongs weight, there are plenty of drug related Armstrong threads if thats what you want to discuss
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Colin, it would be hard to discuss Al Capone without mentioning his activities of a gangster :wink:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "... some one day classics as a comeback rather than the tours, probably would have been more popular as well."

But I doubt if as lucrative! What's popularity compared with MONEY?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • David-Witts
    David-Witts Posts: 80
    Or is it just middle age girth or the natural redistribution of weight as the years roll by? Definitely seems heavier or top heavy muscular . Is this the kind of weight you loose during bike training? Also gone is his high cadence style. Fingers crossed that he’ll be up to riding the TDF and that the team will exist.
  • colint
    Kléber wrote:
    Colin, it would be hard to discuss Al Capone without mentioning his activities of a gangster :wink:

AC was never convicted of any offence relating to being a gangster ! Only tax evasion. He was an honest, hard working businessman. :)
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Compared to Pantani's last hurrah in the 2003 Giro Lance looks pretty trim.
  • jerry3571
    I think he looks a bit more like the pre cancer Armstrong where Eddy Merckx used to say"if Armstrong could lose a few kilos then he would be a good Tour rider". I seen him at the Leeds Classic, years ago, up close and he looked in mint condition and was frighteningly lean but a bit chunky. As soon as the muscle goes on it is hard to get rid of. Starvation diets etc. I think he's going to have a job with this more than his age.
    I think too that the lay off from the crash wouldn't effect him a lot as he was reported to be back his Turbo Trainer within 4 days and he did the Tour of Gila as well.
    We shall see how he goes in the next few hours I guess.
    Ciao Jerry

PS- I think Mr Kléber is getting a bit OCD with his "Armstrong drug fascination". I think there are many more proven bad guys out there. None of us know what he gets up to so he's in the same boat as the rest of the pros in my book.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    jerry3571 wrote:
    PS- I think Mr Kléber is getting a bit OCD with his "Armstrong drug fascination". I think there are many more proven bad guys out there. None of us know what he gets up to so he's in the same boat as the rest of the pros in my book.

Because Di Luca, Valverde, Basso etc get such an easy ride on this forum.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I think too that the lay off from the crash wouldn't effect him a lot as he was reported to be back his Turbo Trainer within 4 days and he did the Tour of Gila as well.

The Tour of the Gila is just a chipper though innit. Hardly Tour of Romandie.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    13th on the longest stage of the Giro? He may not be going to win the Giro and he may be a bit over his best weight from the Tour years but he's still beating Kids half his age up hill and down dale. Chapeau I say.
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    touché hevipedal, i think people fail to realise this guy for the past few years has been doing overall training for his running etc and the guy comes back within 12months of serious training and is as hevipedal says, whooping the arses of young guys who have been focused solely on the bike for god knows how long.
    Lance certainly is a super athlete.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Kléber wrote:
    At least Al Capone was found guilty ... of something :?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    rockmount wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    At least Al Capone was found guilty ... of something :?

Lance is guilty of being Lance and that's seems to be enough for most people :?

He does look like he has got a bit more muscle, but he put in a good performace today (stage 10)
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Also gone is his high cadence style
    This really surprised me. Is his CV system less superhuman for some reason these days?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    He looked to be pedalling faster than the others to me.
    A good performance from him today.
    I still feel his comeback's a mistake, if he wins, it's because he's still on the dope, if he doesn't, it's because he isn't, but was when he was winning. :roll:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    The Flemish radio (and they know what they're talking about) has been very complimentary of Armstrong, saying that given that he's been out for 3 years and had the collarbone break, he's riding very well.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Christian Vandvelde finished 48th at the Giro last year and 4th in the Tour de France if that means anything. Lance might not be showing his full hand.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    teagar wrote:
    The Flemish radio (and they know what they're talking about) has been very complimentary of Armstrong, saying that given that he's been out for 3 years and had the collarbone break, he's riding very well.

Which is fair enough. I doubt Coppi in his pomp could win the giro with do little preparation.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • jerry3571
    After 4 days off he must be well unfit. Contador last year was on the Newcastle Browns in the Nightclubs before getting the call and he needed a week to get rid of his hang over and put everyone behind him.
    I can't see Lance doing much better. Not bad for an oldie!! Only Rebellin could do better for an old chap; ah, bad one there... must think of someone better.... :?
    Ciao Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    The guy looks like a doorman at a bar -- not a grand tour legend.

It must be all those Hollywood babes -- I think they like dudes with shoulders.
  • osucowboytc
    osucowboytc Posts: 24
    He looked to be pedalling faster than the others to me.
    A good performance from him today.
    I still feel his comeback's a mistake, if he wins, it's because he's still on the dope, if he doesn't, it's because he isn't, but was when he was winning. :roll:

Could it not also be because he was out of the sport for a couple years and is now one of the oldest men in the peloton (at least in the Giro). He has been tested time and time again. Why do people still not believe that he is clean?
  • How many times were Jan, Basso, Valverde tested?
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.