Giro Stage 9 *Spoiler*

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    LOL, Lance has blocked me from following him on Twitter. I wrote:

@lancearmstrong That was a shameful decision not to race. Disrespectful to the Giro and the fans who lined the road expecting to see a race.

And I got:

You have been blocked from following this account at the request of the user.

:roll:
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    afx237vi wrote:

@lancearmstrong That was a shameful decision not to race. Disrespectful to the Giro and the fans who lined the road expecting to see a race.

And I got:

I thought your photo was already in the bus?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He doesn't like it up him!

It's like that "Andrew Hogg" incident where he broadcast to the world the way he takes criticism personally.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Dissapointing and a bit G A Y.

I understand how the GC guys might want to avoid the crit after all theyre used to racing crits where the result is already agreed BUT this is a grand tour! Never mind it not happening in Kellys time it wouldnt happen on Surrey League time either where the cars are on the circuit and coming towards you!

AFX does it feel like armstrongs taken his ball home because you wont play by his rules? :)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    a 100 mile crit in the middle of a 21 day stage race is stupid.

i think they talked it through on eurosport fairly well

crit should have been shorter (at least the in city part) and best suited to final day..

still think they could of raced sooner... they could just go piano for the first 7 laps then race for 2 or 3... and not have to tell anyone.. i mean they could just send a soft break up the road "instructed" not to give it all.

a few lesser teams could have got a few hours exposure?

thats how i would have played it if i was that patron (in my fantasy universe)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    LangerDan wrote:

I can't help but have the feeling that something else is going on in the background (and not just that a crit is the last thing some middle-aged guy with a dodgy collarbone wants.)

If we're allowed to come up with dubious scandalous theories...then can I propose that Lance is secretly attempting to make the giro appear a shambles of a grand tour, thus making the fact that he never won it, irrelevant :D

On a more serious note, Lance would have known that the giro was always slightly rough around the edges when compared to the tour and surely has little to complain about. Having now realised that he has very little chance of winning it, he's doing as much as possible to keep the attention upon him and make the organization of the giro appear haphazard.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Armstrongs influence on this race has been anything but positive, I wish those opposed to this farce today had carried on regardless, surely there were enough of them that they could have collectively taken the flack for racing. I would really love to see one of the coming stages ripped up by one of the big teams leaving LA half an hour down.
  • afx237vi

Paul Kimmage, David Walsh, aurelio... then a small pixellated monkey :lol:

It just goes to show how completely incapable he is of taking any type of criticism whatsoever. It wasn't even abusive... he must get much worse than that on a daily basis.
  • The Prodigy
    afx237vi wrote:

Paul Kimmage, David Walsh, aurelio... then a small pixellated monkey :lol:

It just goes to show how completely incapable he is of taking any type of criticism whatsoever. It wasn't even abusive... he must get much worse than that on a daily basis.

He's a monkeyist.....in LA world you either love him or he hates you. Sorry, he hates you.
  • afx237vi

He's a monkeyist.....in LA world you either love him or he hates you. Sorry, he hates you.

That makes me feel oddly proud!
  • The Prodigy
    afx237vi wrote:

I'm proud of you! The very fact he bothered to block you says you needled him, I think he's been there before though :wink:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    [quote=" Bet the corporate types in the hospitality areas are well chuffed, as well as the dads who brought their kids along to the stage to watch a race.
    .[/quote]

They wouldn't! They'd be too busy feeding their faces and listening to Sir eulogising! Never been to cricket???
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    afx237vi wrote:

And I got:

Along with Iain's???
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    afx237vi wrote:

And I got:

Hope you blocked him back. Maybe we could make a sport out of getting blocked by LA.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Though we can all feel the aged hand of Armstorng all over this, if anything Mick Rogers has done more complaining about safety over the last two days. Perhaps he wants a ride in Team Livestrong next season?
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    afx237vi wrote:

And I got:

AFX you are not worth the chair you sit on! :lol::lol:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Though we can all feel the aged hand of Armstorng all over this, if anything Mick Rogers has done more complaining about safety over the last two days. Perhaps he wants a ride in Team Livestrong next season?

rogers has problems staying on the bike in the dry when under pressure

crashed out of the tour...

handling your bike is part of the sport. The gc contenders have to demonstrate all round ability.... everyday for 21 days... that is the challenge.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The Prodigy
    handling your bike is part of the sport. The gc contenders have to demonstrate all round ability.... everyday for 21 days... that is the challenge.

Amen
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    afx237vi wrote:

Without wanting to sh!t on your parade too much, I don't think he's actually given you much thought other than "oh, *block*".

Nice to think he does though :wink:.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    teagar wrote:
    Without wanting to sh!t on your parade too much, I don't think he's actually given you much thought other than "oh, *block*".

So shall I twitter him "remember me? I was the one who knew you were lying about Catlin"

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • teagar
    iainf72 wrote:
    teagar wrote:

So shall I twitter him "remember me? I was the one who knew you were lying about Catlin"

:wink:

Give it a go. :wink:
  • afx237vi
    teagar wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

He'll never get to a million followers if he blocks people that easily.
  • teagar
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

He'll never get to a million followers if he blocks people that easily.

I'm sure when he looks at his bank balance he's assured there are enough people to have a circle jerk over how great he is, even if he's a bit quick on the old 'block' button.
  • afx237vi
    Maybe, but you just know that he is secretly burning up inside because Ashton Kutcher and Ellen DeGeneres are more popular than him:

http://twitterholic.com/
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    Aah! Say what you like about Lance.

At least he had the decency to protect his team's sponsors from embarassment today :lol:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    ah well...Lance has really pissed off the Giro organiser...some comments directed at LA suggest so anyway.....they've a cheek protesting about ANYTHING given the way they regard the fans trust .

Was amused by Robert Millar's comment

"Giro whingers in full voice I hear, they don't know how easy the stages are nowadays! No offence @wegelius"
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ace summary here

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_12 ... ck_check=1

I actually LOL'd at the first paragraph
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Armstrong's reportedly collecting $2,000,000 from the Giro as an appearance fee. If he's upset with the organisers...
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    afx I salute you and will be doing my best to follow your excellent example - though it appears you could type 'you smell' and get blocked :roll:

I hate this style of circuit racing and think that ot's only place is at the end of a race when it makes no difference to GC. Like a wet descent, don't race if you can't handle it - except, as a professional racer you should be able to handle your bike in all conditions. And can the organisers really be held accountable for a rider overcooking a hairpin? Or for the rain? Or the fact that some riders are determined to race whatever the terrain?

Zomegnan's problem is that he spent an awful lot of money, and bent over himself backwards to accomodate, one rider who has now turned round and bitten the hand that feeds him he's in a position of weakness because said rider clearly thinks he can do wjhat he likes.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    And I'm quite sure he never wielded this much power over the TdF organisers when he was winning!

This was a ridiculous decision and, as somebody above points out, I have to race into oncoming traffic with open juntions and cars parked everywhere. Seriously, it's not that bad is it?

Also, good to see Cipo still knows how to break a strike!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent