Messenger bags....

2»

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Have been using the headhunter approach for a while now but am very tempted by one of these Chrome jobbies.

What size will I need to carry the following?

- Laptop
    - Shirt/boxers/socks
    - Towel
    - Shoes
    - Innertubes
    - notebook and small (A4 envelope style) folder
    - phone/blackberry/wallet etc

With a bit of space for unexpected items (i.e. i go to the bike shop at lunch time and buy something...)

Cheers,

Stu.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    bike.jpeg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I rate the crumpler ones, seem to keep most of the wet out

yep, very good bags dry too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    bike.jpeg

I'd at least put a bungee cord or two over his Speak 'n' Spell if I were that guy.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    good job he's got suspension forks on that bike, he'd never manage twisty single track on that rig with rigids... :lol:
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I went and bought a Crumpler Super Snipe. Grey with a red Stripe.

Shame it's coming from the Fatherland. Not been shipped yet - ordered it on Saturday, so hopefully it'll get sent out soon. It'd be sweet if it arrived the day before I get my new bike. :D

Crumpler Super Snipe
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Blimey, marathon bag-making. Became determined to finish it tonight, and did :)

Thanks to GTVLUSSO and philbill1973 for old inner tube and reflective strips (which I can SO see myself using again for some other daft project in the near future!

The stitching is awful close-up. But I'm fairly confident it'll hold together :D

Pictures at: http://sarawallen.com/photos/index.php? ... 0Messenger
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    That's pretty damn good! :o

It wasn't until the fourth last picture that I stopped thinking that it would be a very unwaterproof mess. :lol:

Congrats on your lovely new bag!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think Teaching (especially art and design!) is in your blood!

Great stuff SaraJ - very impressed! :-)
  • sarajoy
    It is still very unwaterproof!

The pattern I made has left a couple of gaping gaps either side of the flap - so can't really carry small things either unless they're wedged under something or I add some extra stuff on the inside.

Quite pleased anyway :)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Very good! I'm impressed with your crafty ways. Also like the old Singer - do you have a pedal for it?

Also, you can buy waterproofing sprays from camping shops...
  • sarajoy
    No, just a hand-crank. Kindof prefer that, no momentum so it never runs away from me...

Waterproofing would be good if I hadn't managed to 'design' two whopping great gaps either side of the covering flap! Heh!
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I'm impressed, waterproof or not :D
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Capo wrote:
    Size-wise, the biggest is the Kremlin (saw one of these in NYC, it is HUGE)...

You're not kidding. My 9 year old nephew fits in comfortably. There was still plenty of space for his 4 year old brother but he chickened out when I started to lift them off the couch in it.

ben-in-a-bag.jpg

He wanted to go for a ride like that but Mum wouldn't let us. Spoilsport.

I love my Chrome. It just fits so well, it's like being hugged by a midget. And of course you can fit heroic amounts of shopping in it too. I can't reccomend them enough.

There's a reason proper messenger bags (Chrome, Reload, Pac, Bagaboo, Archies Grobags, Manhattan Portage etc) are expensive. You're paying for reliability, toughness and outstanding build quality and design. The similarities between the above and the likes of these £30 things you get all over the place these days, end at looks. There's a reason the likes of Chrome are happy to give their bags a lifetime guarantee. £100+ doesn't seem too expensive when it'll probably outlast you.

Keep your eye out on Chain Reaction, they sometimes have great deals on them. I got my Kremlin for £75. That's half price.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    sarajoy wrote:
    Blimey, marathon bag-making. Became determined to finish it tonight, and did :)

Thanks to GTVLUSSO and philbill1973 for old inner tube and reflective strips (which I can SO see myself using again for some other daft project in the near future!

The stitching is awful close-up. But I'm fairly confident it'll hold together :D

Pictures at: http://sarawallen.com/photos/index.php? ... 0Messenger

Nice one. You might want to add a chest strap as well though.
  • Stuey01 said:

Have been using the headhunter approach for a while now but am very tempted by one of these Chrome jobbies.

What size will I need to carry the following?

- Laptop

- Shirt/boxers/socks

- Towel

- Shoes

- Innertubes

- notebook and small (A4 envelope style) folder

- phone/blackberry/wallet etc

With a bit of space for unexpected items (i.e. i go to the bike shop at lunch time and buy something...)

Cheers,

Stu.