Messenger bags....

flamite
flamite Posts: 269
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Lookin for a decent WATERPROOF messenger bag for commute, any recommendations?

after last nights downpour riding home from pub was rather interesting, would like something to keep everything dry...

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Ortlieb do a wicked (and expensive) totally waterproof one. I want one so much.

About a zillion people will now tell you why their bag is the correct one. But I got here first so I'm right. 8)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Try Manhattan Portage - they do waxed canvas bags - not hugely expensive
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    If you want something a bit different that'll do the business then try here:

http://www.reloadbags.com/

Not cheap I'm afraid...
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I'm after a waterproof messenger bag too. It's annoying because they all seem to cost so much. :(

Although, I think a mini sized one would be better. Normal ones just seem huge - like those big blue Ikea bags. :lol:

Something like a Crumpler Super Snipe might be nice.

I think companies like Chrome are way over-priced, where as Manhattan Portage and the likes are just over-priced. :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Chrome bags from Wiggle come recommended but get a 2nd mortgage first :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I've had one of these for about a decade.
    http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/mes ... -messenger
    Kept yesterday's torrent out okay.
  • I've got this one seems to do the job very well

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 119c003123
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Maybe you should Make your own messenger bag in this credit crunch age...
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I think I've decided on my next project!

Wonder how well IKEA bags will fuse together, a couple of layers should do...

Ooh, wonder if I could buy some reflective strips, too...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Let me know how you get on sara.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I rate the crumpler ones, seem to keep most of the wet out
  • sarajoy
    symo - it might just be my being impatient, but I'm finding it hard to get the IKEA bag (or any plastic bag for that matter) to fuse together before shrinking and melting first. Tried many more passes and more pressure on lower temperatures but that just leaves me with a very well-ironed folded plastic bag.

Ah well.

Still might do something with the big IKEA bag I've just completely unpicked anyway - just double up the layers anyway but just stitch it all together ignoring any "fusing".

Lost my old Sam Browne reflective belt sadly, could've done with that for this...

I like wee projects :D Might be put aside until next week mind :)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Might be worth nipping to a scrappy to get a car seatbelt too. If you go to the Make website they have a good article on fusing plastic together using a soldering iron which looks good enough to use on the messenger bags and then reinforce with stitching.

Note; having jsut spent 80 quid on a Stussy messenger bag I am wondering what the appeal of making my own is?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Make your own, http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/page/fcut_page/detail.jsf
    sarajoy wrote:
    Lost my old Sam Browne reflective belt sadly, could've done with that for this...

If you want some silver Hi-vis material (off a coat) I have 4 x 30 cm, 2 x 53cm, 2 x 40cm and 1 x 130cm all 5cm wide, if you want it, it's just taking up shelf space here.
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • Ortlieb waterproof messenger bag from Wiggle, expensive but the only one you'll ever need. I bought one 6 months ago, its used 5 days a week in all weathers, holds everything, keeps it dry and its comfortable, its the only choice. I do have a couple of crumpler bags though and they are fine for small loads, but in persistent prolonged rain they do leak a bit.
    I LOVE THE SMELL OF GT85 IN THE MORNING!
  • sarajoy
    Make your own, http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/page/fcut_page/detail.jsf
    sarajoy wrote:

If you want some silver Hi-vis material (off a coat) I have 4 x 30 cm, 2 x 53cm, 2 x 40cm and 1 x 130cm all 5cm wide, if you want it, it's just taking up shelf space here.
    Yeah that'd be brill! Where (to) in bristol are you? Could swing by after work sometime maybe :)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I like Crumpler bags.I got my laptop case from the Crumpler story in Canada. it's been abused and battered over the past year but still looks spanking new.

Also if you order online from the Crumpler Canada store the colours and range are much nicer than the ones on offer here in the UK
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Chrome bag from Chainreaction - I have had one all winter, never leaked, completely waterproof, has a balancer strap to hold it on tighter. I use it to transport my laptop/external drive and all the electronic shite I have to carry! - well worth the cost:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3247
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    I have a Freitag bag and really like it. Think it was about £100.

Haven't really put its waterproofness to the test but it is made from old truck tarp so should hold up well!
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    If you don't want to spend £100 I'd rate a roll top dry sack. They're about 8 quid for 35l, completely immersion proof and pack down to the size of a (misshapen) tennis ball. You need a bag to stick it in but it has the advantage that you can float home on it in a flood. Freitag can't promise you that..
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Capo
    Capo Posts: 439
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Chrome bag from Chainreaction - I have had one all winter, never leaked, completely waterproof, has a balancer strap to hold it on tighter. I use it to transport my laptop/external drive and all the electronic shite I have to carry! - well worth the cost:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3247

Another vote for Chrome, my missus bought me one for Christmas a couple of years ago, I love it.

Just one point, it's a bit confusing how they are laid out on the Chain Reaction website since the different models are listed alphabetically, and you can't go be price because different discounts have been applied to different models.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Bran ... randID=161

All come in a range of colours.

Size-wise, the biggest is the Kremlin (saw one of these in NYC, it is HUGE), followed by Metropolis (which I've got), then the Citizen, then the Mini Metro (obviously Chrome being based in San Francisco have never heard of the car of the same name!).

Due to different discount levels, the Kremlin and Metropolis are currently cheaper than the smaller Citizen bag.

My Metropolis carries everything I need when cycling, is stable on my back, and I love it.

To give some idea of capacity, I also use it for sports photography at weekends (I put in the insert from my old Crumpler photo bag) and it will happily take a couple of SLR bodies, three lenses, flash, laptop plus power cable, monopod, lots of accessories, waterproofs and the Saturday issue of The Guardian and it will still be comfortable on my back. Haven't been brave enough to try cycling with that lot inside it though!

Obviously with that amount of kit inside, it's very important to me that it is waterproof, and I've never had a problem with it.

Yes, they are pricier than some other bags, but worth every penny IMHO.

Hope that helps.
    Can\'t drive, won\'t drive
  • the wonder weavy from crumpler is a beut

but if you want waterproof you cant beat a ortileb.
  • sarajoy wrote:
    Make your own, http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/page/fcut_page/detail.jsf
    sarajoy wrote:

Yeah that'd be brill! Where (to) in bristol are you? Could swing by after work sometime maybe :)

I'm in Clifton not far from sainsburys, but I work in St Philips so a lot closer to you. Only work 7am til 2 pm tho, gotta love the railway !

I can PM you a mobile if you want.
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • sarajoy
    Wicked :D

Also, anyone got any old dead innertubes they don't want? Would be good to use as piping/edging... !
  • gtvlusso
    sarajoy wrote:

Also, anyone got any old dead innertubes they don't want? Would be good to use as piping/edging... !

Yep - PM me or pop in on your way home - get a Wilma fix too!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Like their lights, Knog messenger bags are the best:

Knog Forte
    KUF01.jpg

Knog Presto
    KUP01.jpg
    I have this one (above) despite the shape its incredibly ergonomic and therefore comfortable. It sits in the small of the back and mostly doesn't move - comes with a sternum strap. You'd also be surpised how much you can fit in it. The big rubber bit keeps out rain, dirt etc from the inside its waterproof as well as providing a cushion should you fall on your back and has a massive reflective surface which comprises the padded strap!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sarajoy
    gtvlusso wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

Yep - PM me or pop in on your way home - get a Wilma fix too!
    Wooyay, are you free today?
  • gtvlusso
    Think so......! Not sure! Will text ya!
  • sarajoy
    The only thing my home made effort won't be is waterproof, which is daft considering the name of this thread I've hi-jacked! Ah well.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Credit crunch option - use a normal, non waterproof bag and wrap everything inside in supermarket placcy bags. Hey presto, when you arrive it's all dry. The bag may get a bit dirty with muck from the road and sweat from your back (but then so would an expensive messenger job), but just wash it with normal washing powder in a large bucket every few weeks. I've been using a cheap as chips Decathlon rucksack for my commute for 2 odd years now and it's still going strong.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.