Running!

2»

Comments

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Half marathon in 4 weeks! So trawled the t'interweb for training tips and guess what? No schedule as 4 weeks is considered not enough time from scratch, knew these runners were mary-queens!

Seriously though, haven't run since Feb, was doing up to 10k training runs and then just stopped so this half-marathon is the perfect excuse to start again. Did a 5 miler tonight and didn't find it too bad (about 40 mins).

Any quick -fix tips welcome (sorry to the OP for hijack).

That isn't very long at all. I've been training for a half for about 2months (from only being able to run 10k) and am finding that once i get to 17k, no matter how relaxed and easy i keep the pace, i start to really struggle. I've been running 4 times a week and I've now started lengthening my interval runs midweek (about 1h30m) in addition to my long weekend run to try and push through this barrier.

My advice would be to find your "brick wall" distance and try and push through it couple of times
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    mea00csf, you're not wrong, I keep telling myself it's not much time, just hoping my bike-base fitness will help. Managed a 14k last night in 1h 20m, really took it steady as you can see, but felt comfortable and had to make myself stop as I felt I could have gone on. Intend to try the full 13.1m this weekend to see where I'm at.

Cheers for the advice.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    nicklouse wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Run along please Mr Troll... :roll:

report the post dont just reply.

thanks.

Noted.

Bike fitness helps immensely.
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    FYI guys I was running in the gym on the treadmill ealier on this week, and was hitting a good pace for a solid 15-20 minutes without stopping!

Noticing a difference in my fitness already!

And I've lost 2 lbs this week so far as well! :D:D:D !
    It's been a while...
  • mea00csf
    if you're thinking about running outside in the future it's a good ideas to put 1-1.5% incline on a treadmill, makes it more a bit more realistic to outdoor running.
  • Surf-Matt
    Set my PB for my 7km trail route yesterday (after a surf) - three gates, four stiles, loads of hills, windy forest paths, rocky bits, etc - 27m 59s beating my old PB by over 30 seconds. Cool! managing to get sub 6m30s miles consistently now, whatever the terrain. Need to enter some more races! Nice that's it's dry now.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Managed a 12 miler on Saturday in 1h 48mins, which I was quite pleased with, could have gone further/faster, but reigned myself in a bit.

2 weeks to go until the half marathon :shock:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Graydawg
    Running at 1.0 incline on the treadmill - did a speed of 8.2 and ran constantly without stopping for 30minutes

I am impressed at how fast my CV has improved as I did not feel out of breath or in pain either when I was running!

:lol:
    It's been a while...
  • mea00csf
    Graydawg wrote:
    Running at 1.0 incline on the treadmill - did a speed of 8.2 and ran constantly without stopping for 30minutes

I am impressed at how fast my CV has improved as I did not feel out of breath or in pain either when I was running!

good going!

If you're trying to improve your CV health, i know a KILLER treadmill workout. Start at 0% and a really easy speed. Once you get to 1min knock the incline up to 1%, when you get to 2min knock up to 2%, keep going until at 10mins you're running at 10% incline. Once you hit 11mins knock it down to 9%, 12mins knock down to 8% etc. It'll really start to hurt around 7% incline, won't let you settle into a rythym so CV is really tested. Make sure you're properly warmed up first!
  • Graydawg
    mea00csf wrote:
    Graydawg wrote:

good going!

If you're trying to improve your CV health, i know a KILLER treadmill workout. Start at 0% and a really easy speed. Once you get to 1min knock the incline up to 1%, when you get to 2min knock up to 2%, keep going until at 10mins you're running at 10% incline. Once you hit 11mins knock it down to 9%, 12mins knock down to 8% etc. It'll really start to hurt around 7% incline, won't let you settle into a rythym so CV is really tested. Make sure you're properly warmed up first!

Jee whizz - that sounds like i would be dead within minutes!!! lol - might just have to give that a go!!! Maybe in a few weeks once my distance running has improved and I'm definately confident enough to tackle the big challenges like that! ;)
    It's been a while...
  • mea00csf
    haha, breaks up the boredom of treadmill running tho! I used it when i was working in Dubai for 4months, the apartments i was staying in had treadmills but nothing else. It was 45C outside so wasn't an option to run outside :shock:
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Seems some trainers advocate taking it easier and having more walk breaks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/healt ... ref=health
  • I’ve always found the Runners World Smart Coach useful for setting a schedule to train against – have a look here http://tinyurl.com/ql2haw to see if it helps.

Some good advice though is don’t run if you’re carrying an injury – I was doing 40+ miles a week with a ‘bit’ of a bad back, now my knee (!) is pure pain when I run due to over-compensating for the poxy bad ache :cry:
  • Surf-Matt
    I just run as fast as I can each time.

No faffy HRMs, no wierd diet, just simple running, cycling and twice weekly weights.

So far (all trail)

Lanhydrock 10km - 42mins, 5th out of 700
    Six Moor Miles (Dartmoor) 11 km - 48mins, 50th out of 450 (drank too much the night before - oops!)
    EnduranceLife 10km coast death run (!) that was actually 11.5km - think it was 51 mins but 5th out of 120
    EnduranceLife off road triathlon - 4th after the swim, 3rd after the MTB race, 1st after the trail run.

So it seems to work okay :wink: