Astana Kit replaced

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If Johan takes over the PT licence - can he not just give Contador the option to void his contract. In fact - can't he do that right now? Not fire him, but just tell him he can walk if he wants to - and then it's up to Alberto to decide.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador riding for Caisse d'Epargne now we are bloody well talking. Now he wont have to ride stupid Treks in sky blue and yellow livery and can look as class as his riding is as well as having a very strong team around hom who will be dedicated to supporting him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Well - they appear to be wearing the 'old' kit today. Maybe the new stuff will be rolled out tomoro.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think they can easily wriggle out of the whole contract issue. The sponsors arent sponsoring any more. Dissolve the team and a new (v similar) one arises out of the ashes.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Hows this for Astana's new kit?
    Team-Omerta.jpg

Rather fetching I think.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JohnWilky
    JohnWilky Posts: 63
    brilliant..... where can I| buy one??
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:
    These are loose rules. I really don't see the need for strict interpretation, especially if the sponsor changes. As much as I'd like to see Bruyneel and Armstrong return to retirement and Yates resume his "gardening leave", if any team sees their sponsor fold mid-season, it's normal for them to get new kit and new sponsors, better than the team going under.

It's the way the UCI is slack on other rules that bothers me.

I don't like your posting on yates...WTF has he done? A lowly paid domesstique who worked his career for others , not well paid, with a heart condition, who does gardening in winter to supplement his in season work and you want him unemployed, wish it. :roll: :roll:
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    Hows this for Astana's new kit?
    Team-Omerta.jpg

Rather fetching I think.....
    Excellent! Is that your own work? (The CFA twitter page links to this page as the source).
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I don't like your posting on yates...WTF has he done? A lowly paid domesstique who worked his career for others , not well paid, with a heart condition, who does gardening in winter to supplement his in season work and you want him unemployed, wish it. :roll: :roll:
    OK, I put it in a harsh way but the team staff have surfed the malaise in the sport for too long. Perhaps he could wake up tomorrow and denounce doping, regret the omerta, start asking questions about Dr Ferrari, Armstrong and Bruyneel and join Francaise des Jeux as assistant DS.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I don't like your posting on yates...WTF has he done? A lowly paid domesstique who worked his career for others , not well paid, with a heart condition, who does gardening in winter to supplement his in season work and you want him unemployed
    Let's be honest here. We all know what has gone on in team 'Disco' and Astana over the years, and doubtless Yates was as culpable as anyone else, if only for maintaining the omerta. As to being 'lowly paid', Yates was one of the original 'super domestics' earning over a hundred grand a year at a time when many more prolific winners didn't get as much, and doubtless he has been well paid for his management services fo Armstrong and 'Disco' / Astana. With regards his gardening business, developing an alternative career seems like a good idea given the precarious state of pro cycling. And isn't one of Yates' other interests ocean yacht racing? That is hardly the sort of hobby followed by those without two pennnies to rub together!

Out of interest, do you really believe that Yates raced clean? :shock:
  • Kléber
    Yates's sailing is not exactly giant hulks crewed by 20 people and sponsored by Swiss watch companies, it's more the bathtub/dinghy variety. But as Aurelio says, he's not exactly spoken out about a clean and healthy sport. Of course he is a Brit, so few want to confront this side of his career.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    Kléber wrote:
    Yates's sailing is not exactly giant hulks crewed by 20 people and sponsored by Swiss watch companies, it's more the bathtub/dinghy variety.
    An ex-collegue did much the same and he said that even in small boat racing the old adage about sailing being like standing in a cold shower whilst tearing up ten pound notes held true!
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    aurelio wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Yates's sailing is not exactly giant hulks crewed by 20 people and sponsored by Swiss watch companies, it's more the bathtub/dinghy variety.
    An ex-collegue did much the same and he said that even in small boat racing the old adage about sailing being like standing in a cold shower whilst tearing up ten pound notes held true!

Thats how i feel about cycling sometimes !!!
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Kléber wrote:
    I wouldn't base your optimism on doping on one stage. Rather than the average speed for the stage, look at the VAM.

I'm quite interested in this, Dr Ferarri, if you are reading this, can you post up some VAM analysis on your website accompanied by some Dungeon Master-esque comments ?

Thanks
  • Kléber
    The race goes through St Moritz today, home of Michele Ferrari. He's probably too busy meeting pals or clients to post on VAM :wink:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    VAM is a fairly blunt instrument, though. The severity of the slope, the nature of the racing and even the weather can have very dramatic effects. IIRC, the Angliru last year was producing VAMs in excess of 1900 m/hr due to the steepness. Someone producing 1900 m/hr on, say, the Glandon would give far greater cause for concern.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    New kit.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Ast ... 82607.html

Not really new, just washed out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    They've just got them on inside out ....
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    aurelio wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Not much on here makes me laugh but this is the real thing. The clarity of yourself and Klever this morning is as one would like it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    The latest from Bruyneel's blog.

Since the beginning of the year, our team has had to deal with delays in payment from Kazakhstan. Up till now the situation is that the Kazakh Cycling Federation (KCF) has only paid two months of salary to the management company that runs the team. The only explanation we get from Kazakhstan is that the sponsors aren’t paying because of the economic crisis. They say they are trying to find a solution, but for me it is unclear which action they will take.

The UCI told me that the KCF has a deadline of May 31st to make good on the payments; otherwise the ProTour license will be revoked. We cannot do anything else other than to wait until the end of the Giro.

First time we've heard the word revoked. Pity it's not from a more reliable source.
    Perhaps handed over on a silver platter would be more apt.

One minor thought that has been nagging away at the back of my head.
    Assuming the worst and Team Satana, becomes Team Hogstrong.
    The ASO invite was for the former and wouldn't any new team, regardless of any license hand over, have to receive a formal invite?
    Now, I'm not suggesting that Mr Prudhomme would wish to bite a hand that feeds him, but perhaps he could ask Mr Armstrong to pay a $2 million appearance fee?

Anyhow, I'm sure it will all come out in the wash..... :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    iainf72 wrote:
    New kit.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Ast ... 82607.html

Not really new, just washed out.

Washed out.. I presume your referring to the look on Lance's face.. He looks broken
    cartoon.jpg
  • Pokerface
    One wonders how much money they wasted to produce these washed out jerseys? Money that could be spent on paying their staff instead!

You also have to wonder if Lance and Co. would actually PREFER that the Khazaks DON'T cough up the money so that they can take over the team and rebrand it from the Tour.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    aurelio wrote:
    Let's be honest here. We all know what has gone on in team 'Disco' and Astana over the years, and doubtless Yates was as culpable as anyone else, if only for maintaining the omerta.

What went on I don't know? Where's the proof Yates had a hand in anything untoward? :roll:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Pokerface wrote:
    One wonders how much money they wasted to produce these washed out jerseys? Money that could be spent on paying their staff instead!

You also have to wonder if Lance and Co. would actually PREFER that the Khazaks DON'T cough up the money so that they can take over the team and rebrand it from the Tour.

The jerseys would have cost virtually nothing to make in contrast to the wages not paid - no doubt Bruyneel/Armstrong have used their influence to get them for free anyway.

In the first instance I think they'd prefer them to pay all the staff as per the contracts - think the intention with the LA comeback was always to launch his own team after a year alongside JB. As it now stands it looks like they'll have to "apply" for a rescinded Astana licence midway through the season - it's a messy start for a new team and a rush job to get sponsors etc.
  • Kléber
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    What went on I don't know? Where's the proof Yates had a hand in anything untoward? :roll:
    It depends if you think Armstrong used EPO and blood doping or not. If you think this was the case, then all the staff linked to this are complicit and made money by attaching themselves to a corrupt, even criminal bandwagon. If you think the US Postal/Discovery/Astana team did it clean, then the team staff are working wonders of course.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Didn't Seaco have to pay a fine for turning up in their prisoner outfits??
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    They can argue (somewhat justifably) they have no money and can't pay the fine.
    Or you get into a comedy situation where you pay someone $3m to appear, then fine them $1000 for wearing the wrong jersey.

It is getting a bit farcical. Keeps us fans entertained though.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Should LA be leading the protest about wages? When he's not getting a wage from Astana?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15052009/ ... otest.html

And the only rider not to protest is Andrey Zeits the only rider from Kazakhstan. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place??

Must of been fun for him on the team bus this morning. :)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Should LA be leading the protest about wages? When he's not getting a wage from Astana?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15052009/ ... otest.html

And the only rider not to protest is Andrey Zeits the only rider from Kazakhstan. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place??

Must of been fun for him on the team bus this morning. :)

Poor bugger!