Astana Kit replaced

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited May 2009 in Pro race
there you go...kinda glad the word has gone...been bad news from the start really

http://www.velonews.com/article/92036/a ... -to-signal

Comments

• donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I thought Rock Racing got in trouble with the UCI for changing their kit even from race to race? Is this allowed?
  • dave_1
    donrhummy wrote:
    I thought Rock Racing got in trouble with the UCI for changing their kit even from race to race? Is this allowed?

don't know, don't care
  • donrhummy
    Never mind. As usual the answer is yes, it's against the rules except when the UCI arbitrarily decides to change it for ONE team/person.

http://www.velonews.com/article/92046/
  • dave_1
    donrhummy wrote:
    Never mind. As usual the answer is yes, it's against the rules except when the UCI arbitrarily decides to change it for ONE team/person.

a bit of a jobsworth posting...go start a Lance thread...he's crap now anyway...you got nothing to whinge about performance wise so get petty..the sponsors bankrupt and UCI allowed it before
  • donrhummy
    Dave_1 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

a bit of a jobsworth posting...go start a Lance thread...he's crap now anyway...you got nothing to whinge about performance wise so get petty..the sponsors bankrupt and UCI allowed it before

??? Where did that come from? I actually am a fan of Lance and have never needlessly blasted him (although I can be honest about things). Check my posts in this forum and you'll see I'm not even remotely a "Lance-hater." All I'm saying is that the UCI makes MANY rules that it enforces only when it wants to (see Floyd landis case for some examples). This is another example. The rule states you can't change the kit. It does not say the UCI can make exceptions for that, but they do anyways. So what does this have to do with Lance?
  • i guess some people here hate lance a little too much.
  • dave_1
    i guess some people here hate lance a little too much.

I am sick of the blame culture... UCI appears to have slowed down the Giro average speed going by yesterday, and Wiggins being there seems highly abnormal...hence am tempted to believe UCU scared a few dopers away from their old habits...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I wouldn't base your optimism on doping on one stage. Rather than the average speed for the stage, look at the VAM but even then yesterday's stage was a bit negative with riders watching each other for a long time and a relatively large group arrived together.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Just so long as its not orange and black wallpaper.

Now all they need is a new license.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Dave_1 wrote:

UCI appears to have slowed down the Giro average speed going by yesterday, and Wiggins being there seems highly abnormal...hence am tempted to believe UCU scared a few dopers away from their old habits...

Woke up this morning and had to pinch myself that I didn't dream what I saw on TV yesterday. Wiggins sailing past Cunego and Armstrong on a monster Giro Summit finish....just bizarre, if you had been working on your climbing, how satisfying would that be !
    Even Basso looked like he was trying.

In some ways it was like the old days with LA surrounded by super-domestiques, but in other ways completely different.

And reading this morning that AC is not in LA's new set-up, I've been hoping that would happen for the last 8 months.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    le patron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

UCI appears to have slowed down the Giro average speed going by yesterday, and Wiggins being there seems highly abnormal...hence am tempted to believe UCU scared a few dopers away from their old habits...

Woke up this morning and had to pinch myself that I didn't dream what I saw on TV yesterday. Wiggins sailing past Cunego and Armstrong on a monster Giro Summit finish....just bizarre, if you had been working on your climbing, how satisfying would that be !
    Even Basso looked like he was trying.

In some ways it was like the old days with LA surrounded by super-domestiques, but in other ways completely different.

And reading this morning that AC is not in LA's new set-up, I've been hoping that would happen for the last 8 months.

Oh, we've got monster summit finishes in this year's Giro now, have we? Someone better tell Blazin'...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • le_patron
    I did think twice about writing that :D

It was short stage with a lot of downhill, but no-one can argue with a 25 km 1500m summit finish (or whatever it was exactly).
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Astana's evolution to "Team Lance" pre-tour is gaining pace.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    le patron wrote:

Where you reading that?
  • Kléber
    leguape, see here: http://community.active.com/blogs/Bruce ... cling-team

It seems to imply Contador is leaving in a few days' time. But they'd be mad to lose him, I can't imagine this happening. Besides, he'd be worried about leaving, every GC rider to leave Bruyneel's team seems to test positive within months.
  • blazing_saddles
    DaveyL wrote:
    [
    Oh, we've got monster summit finishes in this year's Giro now, have we? Someone better tell Blazin'...
    Oy....I heard that.
    The fact that Wiggins was up there for so long, shows it was no monster.
    There was a middle section of 8kms, that averaged a wopping 2%. :roll:

Certainly no Marmolada, or Tre Cimi d Lav...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Two thoughts on the Contador thing - would they drop him JUST so Armstrong can be the big dick of the team at the Tour? Or as it would be a new team and possibly low on funding - would Contador's salary be an issue at all?

I suspect mostly option A.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    le patron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Source?
  • le_patron
    Kléber wrote:
    he'd be worried about leaving

That is a problem, he can expect to be neutralised whoever he rides for. Having him on the team same makes the whole thing easier to manage. Wonder if it will get to horses head stage....
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    on kit changes, High Road had three kits last season. The second change was to add Colombia as sponsors with a new blue kit but they started the season in black before switching to white. Anyone know how/why that came about?
  • Kléber
    These are loose rules. I really don't see the need for strict interpretation, especially if the sponsor changes. As much as I'd like to see Bruyneel and Armstrong return to retirement and Yates resume his "gardening leave", if any team sees their sponsor fold mid-season, it's normal for them to get new kit and new sponsors, better than the team going under.

It's the way the UCI is slack on other rules that bothers me.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Kléber wrote:
    leguape, see here: http://community.active.com/blogs/Bruce ... cling-team

It seems to imply Contador is leaving in a few days' time. But they'd be mad to lose him, I can't imagine this happening. Besides, he'd be worried about leaving, every GC rider to leave Bruyneel's team seems to test positive within months.

Cheers. Looks like it's nothing concrete, just the same rumour that's been doing the rounds since last year and pretty much a continuation of the rumour that started when he was out of contract before Disco time. Wonder if Caisse will be asking Valverde for some of that 10 million euro contract back. Talk about backing the wrong pony.
  • Kléber
    You can't blame Caisse, both riders seem to be linked to Fuentes and refuse to answer questions on the matter with equal disregard.

What is bad though is the constant attempts by the Caisse team staff to defend the indefensible, Valverde is going down and they need to think about the team as a whole, the bank will not fund them if they start smelling of merde.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Have the Kazakh Federation turned over the license then? This all reminds me of Madonna and her Malawian adoption - just because you want something to happen doesn't mean that the rules are necessarily going to be bent just for you - though seeing as the UCI is headed by Pat 'Sure I'll bend the rules for you Lance, cheque to the usual address' McQuaid I don't hold out much hope
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    does bruyneel have no ambition or something?

OK, he's bosom buddies with lance, but isn't contador the more attractive rider if you are concerned about competing for future GC's in grand tours?

As a directeur sportif, he's gonna be pretty bored very shortly once the novelty of pensioner lance wears off and he's alienated the cyclist most likely to be able to bring him the same level of success lance once did.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Kléber wrote:
    You can't blame Caisse, both riders seem to be linked to Fuentes and refuse to answer questions on the matter with equal disregard.

What is bad though is the constant attempts by the Caisse team staff to defend the indefensible, Valverde is going down and they need to think about the team as a whole, the bank will not fund them if they start smelling of merde.

In all seriousness, with what has happened in recent days with Valverde and to a lesser extent, Kloden - you would probably at least give it two thoughts about picking up AC.

On second thoughts - you'd probably do that with every cyclist. There must be so many skeletons in the closet.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    If Lance sees himself as team owner, DS and rider, what does that leave for Johan to do? PR?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL wrote:
    If Lance sees himself as team owner, DS and rider, what does that leave for Johan to do? PR?

They could use his chin for bike parking?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    Basically, we now have a scenario where, in order for this to happen, all contracts are null and void, no?

So LA and JB are free to form a new team, by basically dumping the "deadwood", i.e. the Kazakh riders.

Conversely, once they have made their intentions clear, the Kazakh fed is also free to dump their butts, too.

Since the Kazakh's hold the PT license, would it not be correct to say that Contador was tied into a contract to them, not JB?
    Similarly, LL etc?

I get the impression, unless the Kazakh's wade in, with some new ammunition, everybody is basically a free agent.
    Or, at least they are assuming this is the case.

I guess what I'm trying to imply is, that if JB can walk away, taking a large proportion of the team with him, AC can now jump ship, if he desires.
    I think Caisse will be signing two new Spaniard's soon.

In which case, I suggest JB's new team be named: "The Dukes of Hazzard".
    Boss Hog and a mighty high proportion of good 'ol boys.