Training With A MotorBike!!!

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
wierd situation..........i have the opportunity to train with my mate who has a motorbike!!!

he said he would do it, pace me along and stuff. but is there any benefit to it?
if so, what should we do!? hold a steady pace or fast then slow???

i am training for road races and TT's!!!!!!!!
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• suze
    suze Posts: 302
    On the track we often use a derny. Depending on who's riding the speed usually starts about 40k and rises gradually every lap. Sometimes up to about 55k. If doing this on the road (I wouldn't , pot holes etc...but you may choose to) then I'd start at about 40k and see how you get on.

The likes of Chris Hoy and other squad riders train behind a motor bike on the track because the derny didn't go fast enough. The sprinters were laping at speeds approaching 75k before the olympics.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
    58585 Posts: 207
    Here's an idea for a workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICtiB7EGHjA
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    track = fine, road = bad idea
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd just stick to riding a bike, I can't really see the fitness benefits of training on a motorbike instead.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Our team is going to do some of this soon enough hopefully. I'll let you know how it goes.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    In Chris carmicheals book, serious cycling, he mentions that a motorbike coul be used for sprint training.

Keep the motorbike rolling along at 25mph and tuck in behind it, then try sprinting round it, like they're doing in that video. Should be a fairly good racin simulation.

You could also do the track workout of gradually increasing speed and hold on as long as possible.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Apparently Robbie McEwan trains behind his wife's Vespa - nice to do something as a couple I suppose. I can't see a problem with it so long as the rider knows what they are doing and it's the right kind of road - flat, wide, good visibility and not much traffic.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    A lot of the pros train behid motor bikes. Bradley Wiggins does long rides early in the year and finishes these with an hour behind a motor bike to simulated the last Kms of races when the speed picks up.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I know an Elite level rider who does a fair bit of training behind a moped to bring his form on...........mind you, for us mere mortals training on a chaingang with faster riders is a good substitute.

Not sure on the legality of it or what your mate's insurance company would make of it if he had a prang while pacing you though.

As an aside, derny racing on the track is a great buzz............and it's not just the engines!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxVmWlpfgDY
  • steve23
    okay mixed thoughts................

ive herd of the pro riders doing it, but just wasnt sure as to what they did as far as the training goes!

IMO i think it would be a great help, as i dont have a chaingang nearby, and my club doesnt have that many riders that are serious racers, or want to go out and batter themselves training.

therefore it seems to me like a very tempting situation!!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think theres a big difference between a pro doing it and an amateur rider.

Personally I dont think its worth the risk of a prang.
  • steve23
    prang!? whats that meant to mean?????
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Jacques Anquitel apparently used to train by riding 100km behind a car
    Jan Ulrich was injured before his last TdF by running into the back of a car during training

I suppose the benefit of training like this is that it is similar to riding in a big pack at speed, in terms of what power/gears/cadence you would do
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Just get your pal on the motorbike to halfwheel you...
  • Sorry to be a spoilsport, but I don't think the Old Bill will take too kindly to it if they realise what you're doing - motor pacing isn't allowed on almost all insurance policies (Eek! This reminds me - my CBR insurance runs out tomorrow. Must sort it out NOW!). Apart from what might happen to you and/or your mate Valentino Rossi through a lapse in attention, the biker's third party cover will also be invalid. Convince plod that you're the next Cav, and they might turn a blind eye though. Be Careful! Perhaps the pros' pacers have motor pacing insurance, or donate to the Policeman's Ball?!