Stage 3 *Spoiler*

2»

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:
    Carmichael never worked much with Armstrong, it was Michele Ferrari who was the real coach. So I'd take Carmichael's words with some caution.

true, ..Ferrari will be advising in the background on a voluntary basis I bet... I wonder what weight Lance A is now...?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    What was telling for me, was Levi clearly having to sit up and wait, (told to, I'd guess)when he was in the break and Lance may have been held up by the crash.
    Total opposite of yesterday.

There is now issue who is the real Astana leader here and I'm afraid Bertie is going to be in the same boat, come July.

Btw: Tomorrow. Dave, I don't think you'll see Lance in pink, tomorrow.
    This stage has a Cunego, Di Luca and maybe Garzelli, sprint off, written all over it.
    With the bonus seconds, it could well be DDL in the pink.

Unless, Ivan Basso kicks it all off, on the much tougher first climb......

Maybe Levi realised the break wasnt going to stick and it was wasted energy maybe others in the break were not prepared to work there are several possible reasons for what happened and maybe none of them had anything to do with Lance but i suspect for you that doesnt really matter. For what its worth Bertie is streets ahead of Levi imo and i dont see any problems with leadership issues in the tour.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Well, I guess all with be revealed over the next two days.
    Personally, I hope I'm wrong and the big boys come out to play on that much harder first ascent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If you're one of the big boys you need to start putting the hammer down to eliminate the weaker rivals while not taking the lead yourself, but making sure you can overhaul whoever does take the lead.

I hate to say it, but Bruyneel was always good at that kind of thing.

If Armstrong has the legs for tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised to see him try. If he could do a day in pink then it's job done, innit. Then an Italian takes it off him next day and Gazzetta happy.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh, I made David Harmon laugh with the lookalike thingy of Cav and Bingo :D

You've become a bit of a star over on cyclechat.
    Your fame is spreading.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What was telling for me, was Levi clearly having to sit up and wait, (told to, I'd guess)when he was in the break and Lance may have been held up by the crash.

I got the impression that it was to do with that bunch (or the majority of it) not willing to race on as it would be unsporting. I was really willing them to though - Voigt, Voeckler, Levi and I think Basso were there and would have probably been able to hold it especially as there was no Colombia train in action. I wouldn't be surprised though if he actually was told to sit up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Total opposite of yesterday.

I thought it simply looked like he knew the break wasn't going to make it but if the other's true, that's too bad. I really wanted Levi to win this thing!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Just thought they sat up due to general confusion - the group behind was much bigger and would have caught them anyway.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    No. We are all wrong.
    Thomas Voeckler was even more surprised that Astana's Levi Leipheimer didn't give it his all. "He wanted to be nice to me and he told me that he was afraid of me," he said. "Afraid of what? If he thinks that I'm able to beat him on the general classification of the Giro, he’s totally wrong."
    :lol::lol:
    Yeah right!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The break/split of riders was not going for it, they were constantly looking over their shoulders, so imagine the noise in their earpieces too. There was no momentum. If Leipheimer was there, half the other riders in the group probably had their GC men further back.

Today's the first day when we'll discover for real who's strong in the race.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    can't wait! Having a broken leg has it's benefits...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    From CNB: Farrar broke his rear derailleur in the crash and had to sprint stuck in one gear.
    Contador is the Greatest