Etape De Dales

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
Anybody riding this weekend? Will be my 3rd and I always seem to go better there than the Fred.

Weather reports? Surfacing issues?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• I'll be up in Pitlochry battling the crowds in the etape, but we went up Fleet Moss and the Coal Rd last weekend - Coal Rd was a really good surface - not sure when it was done as it was my first time over there but on the way up there's sections of really nice smooth tarmac. No issues with the descents on either.
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    Rev\'d Gatlin Posts: 190
    I'll be there. Called my Dad for a bit of Yorkshire knowledge. He said, ' Buttertubs, that's a walking hill. Mucker, that's another.' I said we'd be going past the highest pub in the country, he said, 'What do you mean past?'

Can't wait for a bit of traditional Yorkshire hospitality.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • disgruntledgoat
    I'll be there. Called my Dad for a bit of Yorkshire knowledge. He said, ' Buttertubs, that's a walking hill. Mucker, that's another.' I said we'd be going past the highest pub in the country, he said, 'What do you mean past?'

Can't wait for a bit of traditional Yorkshire hospitality.

Which pub is that? Cos I can only assume every northern county has one... Cheshire claims Cat & Fiddle, we claim Kirkstone inn up here in Cumbria.

Unless this is the Independent Republic of Yorkshire.

Buttertubs I usually quite enjoy, but I think that's only becuase it's quite early in the ride. Hope to see you there fella. I'll be in Hon 92 kit on a red Orbea. I'm No.11 on the Hardknott pics on the fred thread.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    The Tan Hill Inn is generally recognised as being the highest inn in England at 1,732 feet (528 m) above sea level. The second highest is the Cat and Fiddle Inn, on the A537 road near the Derbyshire/Cheshire county boundary and with an elevation of about 1,690 feet (520 m), though recent measurements dispute Tan Hill's supremacy.[1]

In 1995, the Tan Hill Inn became the first public house in the UK to be granted a licence to hold weddings and civil ceremonies, after new laws were brought in to allow couples to marry in places other than churches or registry offices.[2] The pub once appeared in an advert starring Ted Moult for window fitting company, Everest,[3] and more recently a Vodafone advert.

I think this is it. I remember the Ted Moult ad, might be worth a stop after all. I'll be on an oversize titanium bike with a variety of Castelli kit, depending on the weather. I'll keep a look out for you. Have a good ride.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • I'm down for doing it but just now trying to sort out transport...to be honest I had forgotten about it :oops:
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    I'll be up in Pitlochry battling the crowds in the etape, but we went up Fleet Moss and the Coal Rd last weekend - Coal Rd was a really good surface - not sure when it was done as it was my first time over there but on the way up there's sections of really nice smooth tarmac. No issues with the descents on either.

Be thankful that the Coal Road's been resurfaced - the last time I went over it (sometime last year), on the Garsdale side it was easily the worst surface I'd ever seen, with whole chunks of the road missing altogether! I've ridden on almost all the roads used by the EDD recently, and they're generally very good.

Having really enjoyed the Fred on Sunday I wish I was doing this one now, but then I can ride the roads it covers whenever I want so shouldn't grumble I suppose. Good luck to those that take it on - I might take a ride out to one of the big climbs to watch some other people suffering instead of me!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    the new issue of procycling has this route featured on Classic Climbs. That Coal Rd is rubbish! Stupid ascent/descent. Better to head to Hawes then turn right for Ribblehead. Busier rd but just easier
    M.Rushton
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    mrushton wrote:
    the new issue of procycling has this route featured on Classic Climbs. That Coal Rd is rubbish! Stupid ascent/descent. Better to head to Hawes then turn right for Ribblehead. Busier rd but just easier

Easier is not the point of the exercise!
    It would be 'easier' to head for Reeth when approaching Feetham and go along the NCN71 on the way to Tan Hill, instead of going up that nasty climb to Feetham Pasture!
    The whole point of these Sportive's is the challenge and knowing from experiance, it's a challenge to drag your tired weary body up Coal Road after 70 very tough miles.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Why not make it generally harder and use 53/42 with 11-21 or even better do it on a fixed gear?
    M.Rushton
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Besides Coal road leads you to Dentdale, which is stunning!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    3532838755_1a3167744f.jpg

See you there if you're going and if you're not, maybe another time.
  • disgruntledgoat
    the headwind... The headwind...

@gietvangent
  • Hugh_P
    Hugh_P Posts: 12
    It were a bu%%er weren't it. All the way from Nateby to the finish. i usually hit 35mph coming down from Newby Head to Ribblehead but the fastest I got up to yesterday was 23. Managed to beat my target time of sub-8 though, mainly thanks to the group that formed up coming down Littondale.

First time I've done this and Fred Whitton in the same year. I reckon Fred Whitton is the harder of the two.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Agree about the headwind home. Made the ride a difficult one after a reasonably fast first 40 - 50 miles.

Hugh_P - I have ridden the Fred 3 times now and this was my first attempt at the EDD as I wanted to score it of my list. In summary I would say they are both the same level of difficulty the only difference is Hardknotts and Wynrose. If the EDD had a killer climb at the end it would be as difficult in my book.

Well done to all who slogged through the headwind home.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Just going to correct my last statement.

After downloading the ride data I have noticed that there is only 100mtrs of climbing difference between the two rides. The Fred weighs in at 3133 mtrs and the EDD is just behind at 3010 mtrs.

Make your own mind up.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Are the results up anywhere yet?

I promised meself a new pair of cycling shoes if I got under 6:30. That failed (due to enormous headwind) I've said that if I get in the top 30 I'm still on for it. Otherwise I'm relying on going under 7:30 hours on La Pyreneenne.

@gietvangent
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    Are the results up anywhere yet?

I promised meself a new pair of cycling shoes if I got under 6:30. That failed (due to enormous headwind) I've said that if I get in the top 30 I'm still on for it. Otherwise I'm relying on going under 7:30 hours on La Pyreneenne.

Results on SportIdent web site.

With my time walking shoes would be more appropriate.
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in
  • disgruntledgoat
    38th! Agonisingly close!

Is that worth shoes?

@gietvangent
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    A great day despite the wind! The final 50 miles into that head wind - madness!

A great route with challenging climbs, interesting descents and beautiful scenery. Really well organised.

I took just over 30 minutes longer than last year but really enjoyed the day. The resurfaced Coal Road was a big improvement - especially for the descent into Dent Dale.

Thank you to everyone who shared the work into the wind on the second half of the ride - especially the 2 other riders from Nateby to Moorcock Inn and the group from Ribblehead to Stainforth. I think I would still be riding without that teamwork!
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    Next time I'm going to fill one of my bottles with Stella, I'd run out of swear words by the Coal Road.

Great day, great course, great people, great steak pie and mushy peas. Highlight was the flock of sheep at the the bottom of a 20% descent. Two whistles from the shepherd and the sheepdog had the sheep pinned against either wall. They didn't flinch as we sailed through. Absolute quality. Bring back 'One Man and his Dog'.
  • disgruntledgoat
    That's amazing!

I too considered a pint at both Tan Hill and the Moorcock. And had there been a pub between that lying sod with his "10 miles to go" sign and the finish I probably would have sacked it off there and called for rescue.

Had a massage last night and yelped like a kicked puppy.

@gietvangent
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    That's amazing!

I too considered a pint at both Tan Hill and the Moorcock. And had there been a pub between that lying sod with his "10 miles to go" sign and the finish I probably would have sacked it off there and called for rescue.

Top ride sir.

I'd picked out the Tan Hill-Moorcock stint to get the head down and chew through the miles. No chance. The head wind ruined that plan.

110 miles of grind.
  • disgruntledgoat
    That's amazing!

Top ride sir.

I'd picked out the Tan Hill-Moorcock stint to get the head down and chew through the miles. No chance. The head wind ruined that plan.

110 miles of grind.

Had a whale of a time until Nateby and then turned into that wind for 65 miles. I absolutely turned myself inside out to try and get under six and a half but there was no way I could keep up the required speed into that. At least I missed the rain. I hope you were as lucky!

@gietvangent
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    Had a whale of a time until Nateby and then turned into that wind for 65 miles. I absolutely turned myself inside out to try and get under six and a half but there was no way I could keep up the required speed into that. At least I missed the rain. I hope you were as lucky!
    [/quote]

No such luck. I was happy I'd finished all the descents before the rain kicked in. They were steep enough in the dry. Special mention must go to who ever thought of sticking a cattle grid in the middle of a 16% descent. I think I was doing about 40mph when it was anchor time for that one. The ambulances waiting at the bottom of the hills were a nice touch. Hope they didn't see any action. I didn't hear of any casualties.
  • Datameister
    Datameister Posts: 33
    Had a whale of a time until Nateby and then turned into that wind for 65 miles. I absolutely turned myself inside out to try and get under six and a half

I turned myself inside out just trying to make the cut-off (managed by 4 minutes) and then the whole thing just "went to hell in a handcart". Headwind + increasingly heavy rain + after effects of man-flu + fat blokeishness + Coal Road etc = purgatory.

8 1/2 hours last year, 11 hours this year.

but at least the T-shirt fits this time!!
  • disgruntledgoat
    Had a whale of a time until Nateby and then turned into that wind for 65 miles. I absolutely turned myself inside out to try and get under six and a half

I turned myself inside out just trying to make the cut-off (managed by 4 minutes) and then the whole thing just "went to hell in a handcart". Headwind + increasingly heavy rain + after effects of man-flu + fat blokeishness + Coal Road etc = purgatory.

8 1/2 hours last year, 11 hours this year.

but at least the T-shirt fits this time!!

I've always said this... I have maximum respect for you sir. If i got up in the morning knowing it was going to take me that long, I would go back to bed. Chapeau.

@gietvangent
  • Datameister
    Datameister Posts: 33
    If i got up in the morning knowing it was going to take me that long, I would go back to bed.

Probably, I think it is the fact I expected it might take that long that kept me going at all. At 47 and 110kg, I know I'm not (and never will be) a racing snake, but even in the weather and hills of Sundays Etape, I still found far more enjoyment than can ever be found on a sofa (within reason).

I have no expectation of Gold Standards (except, perhaps, for my World Class Speed Wobble at 55mph down Fleets Moss) but just go out to finish what I start. As for 11 hours on a bike, right now any 11 hours is a good 11 hours, as I'm currently aiming for the London-Edinburgh-London Audax in July.

Chapeau from me to all who finished in difficult conditions. I'm gunning for a sub 8 1/2 PB next year :)
  • Bart Puss
    Bart Puss Posts: 169
    Next time I'm going to fill one of my bottles with Stella, I'd run out of swear words by the Coal Road.

Great day, great course, great people, great steak pie and mushy peas. Highlight was the flock of sheep at the the bottom of a 20% descent. Two whistles from the shepherd and the sheepdog had the sheep pinned against either wall. They didn't flinch as we sailed through. Absolute quality. Bring back 'One Man and his Dog'.

You must have been just in front of me as I remember that incident... was it on the descent after Buttertubs ?. :?
    MEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    You must have been just in front of me as I remember that incident... was it on the descent after Buttertubs ?. :?
    [/quote]

I think it was. And I was struggling with Ribblehead at the time the Leander went through.

steam-train.jpg
  • Adi B
    Adi B Posts: 1
    Any photo's available anywhere yet ?