Giro Stage 1 "Spoiler".

2»

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I see LA's coach Charmichael saying he has recent training data which suggest LA will surprise a few people..didn't manage to get streaming tv pics due to buffering out here, but how did he look? Is it mind games again?

In a word: BIG.
    Sat on the back a lot. Came to the front more, later on and pinched first over the line, just in case.
    Nice.

I find it worrying, when Charmichael speaks in such terms. How, when he's been training hurt?
    Millar, back from a similar injury, admittedly out for longer, looked even more ordinary than usual.

thanks my friend...yours...the complete opposite version from velonews....will remember to consult you in future on who looked good for my pro tour pundit picks http://www.velonews.com/article/91822
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    He didn't look mega strong, it's a long way from the US postal team who would have used the TTT as an opportunity to stamp authority over the race, but it was a solid performance. It didn't give a whole lot away as to who is the strongest in the Astana camp, but it did put a few seconds into the serious GC contenders, which just might prove conclusive!

I think Lance is looking a bit big tho!

BIG congrats to Cav and high road, great stuff!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    mercsport wrote:
    If Cav's in pink then it'll be a mercy to see him in a decent looking shirt other than Columbia's rotten kit .
    I bet the rest of the team were cursing when they saw Cavendish sprinting for the line. They stay in the dreary sh1t kit and he gets to wear pink and spend more time with the podium girls. :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    I bet the rest of the team were cursing when they saw Cavendish sprinting for the line. They stay in the dreary sh1t kit and he gets to wear pink and spend more time with the podium girls. :wink:

I was a bit surprised they didn't give it to Pinotti and then Cav would probably take it off him tomorrow?

I'm not Cav fan but I think it's great for this edition of the race that the first pink jersey is worn by one of the biggest talents in the sport. And someone who talked it up before the race and delivered.

Interesting comments about Basso in Dan Friebe's blog...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I took was thinking it would have been nicer to let Pinotti take the win, and Cav gets the time bonus tomorrow to take the jersey. Still, that's a champion for you, they win as much as they can...

Nothing on the BBC Sport homepage at the time of writing. :roll:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Dave_1 wrote:
    thanks my friend...yours...the complete opposite version from velonews....will remember to consult you in future on who looked good for my pro tour pundit picks http://www.velonews.com/article/91822

I do "pick" on another forum. Had the first 3 in order and 5 out of the first 6. (not LPR)

Well, you did ask.
    No, I read that link and I'd agree with much of it.
    He looked OK. Did his bit late on. I would have thought that was the best time to contribute, no?
    Not surprised he took it easy, to start.

However, others have observed and commented upon him looking...well....a bit large.

It doesn't take a genius to work out they wouldn't want pink at this stage, but he wasn't going to turn it down if it accidentally came his way, now would he?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber wrote:
    I took was thinking it would have been nicer to let Pinotti take the win, and Cav gets the time bonus tomorrow to take the jersey. Still, that's a champion for you, they win as much as they can...

Really have to find it on the sport homepage. Fools. :roll:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Great stuff. Cavendish 2 Garmin 0.

I don't get to say this often, but he looks great in pink. He modestly says he's wearing it for the team, according to the Comic. First British rider to wear the jersey, that's pretty special.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I like the fact that Cavendish talks and delivers like a proper roadie - he's right that the Olympics aren't all that for someone in the pro peloton, he wins when it counts, he's a multiple stage winner in the biggest of the 3 GTs and now he's the first British rider to wear pink at the Giro. With Boonen out he must be a favourite for the MV at the Tour, too. Wouldn't say I'm a fan but he's a 'proper' racer, not a track rider who has a go.

And Armstrong's a*se definitely looked big in that TT :wink:
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Kléber wrote:

A predictable Liverpool win over West Ham is so much more important, Badminton Horse Trials again a far more news worthy story, you can't expect Cav's victory to be more news worthy than these gems :wink:
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    iainf72 wrote:
    And another thing. The girls holding the bikes at the start of the TT.

Agreed. MUCH better than the fat old men they usually have back there.
    60-PIC27943450.jpg
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Freakin' awesome!:D
    Let's see if it gets a mention on the british news... :roll:

When i watched sky sports news yesterday evening they did have two cycling stories on the ticker thing. The first was that Chris Hoy was returning to training and the second was that Boonen had tested positive. No mention of Cav at all, two hours after the evening finished :shock:
  • suspectdevice
    suspectdevice Posts: 263
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Freakin' awesome!:D
    Let's see if it gets a mention on the british news... :roll:

When i watched sky sports news yesterday evening they did have two cycling stories on the ticker thing. The first was that Chris Hoy was returning to training and the second was that Boonen had tested positive. No mention of Cav at all, two hours after the evening finished :shock:

"Dog gatecrashes badminton horse trials"

That made the front page of BBC sports page
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    To be fair it's front page of The Sunday Times Sport section