Giro Stage 1 "Spoiler".

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Were off!
Team Columbia get the Centanary Giro underway.....
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Were off!
    Team Columbia get the Centanary Giro underway.....

I'm watching some ASBOs-in-waiting playing football :twisted:
  • afx237vi
    OOH, "Inside Team Columbia" now with Uncle Bob. Hope Iain is watching.
  • afx237vi
    Holy god almighty, what the HELL are Columbia riding? People reckoned Armstrong's bike was ugly?!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    From cyclngnews.com commentary

"My computer is not the only thing extra I packed in my suitcase for the three week journey," said Ivan Basso (Liquigas). "There is always a photo of my family, which will accompany me for these weeks. Certainly I can see photos on my computer, but to have a printed photo is a lot better than anything else. The other thing that I always bring is a pillow for sleeping, you never know what you are going to find at the hotels."

"The most important thing is to have a lot of enthusiasm for this Giro, which I have because I have been waiting for it for a long time."

Wonder if there was some extra stuff he packed in 2006 that he doesn't have this year...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    He had that photo with him when he did his extra-terrestrial performance in '06. Maybe it's code for something.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    ooooh Cav in Pink?
    Powered by Haribo.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    GET IN!

I hate Columbia but pwning Garmin pleases me!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    Garmin 6" slower than Columbia. Disappointing season, that was. See you next year boys.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I think Cav has succeeded in annoying Garmin ;-)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Are we going to have Cavendish in pink?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Kind of knew this would happen but for Simoni's team to lose him ONE MINUTE PLUS in just 20 KM is ridiculously bad. The reason he lost in 2007 was because his team got destroyed in the Team TT. He lost over 2.5 minutes that year and finished 3:15 by the end. It would have made a HUGE difference during the race if he'd been only 45 seconds down in the mountains instead of 2.5 minutes.

His team had two problems this year. Obviously, #1 is that they're not one of thee top teams (especially missing Rebellin) but more importantly, during the TT today, they were not staying together. They constantly had 1 guy off the front, wasting his effort. Yes, he'd have had to slow down for everyone to be with hiim but the time is not the first guy across, it's the 5th.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    I think Cav has succeeded in annoying Garmin ;-)
    Not half! Especially since Cav crossed the line first and could possibly take the pink jersey.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Interesting results so far ! Who was the poor sod caught by Katusha then ? What happened there ? A flat or three ?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    This stage is confirming how utterly dull I find Team Time Trials.

*yawn*
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • donrhummy
    teagar wrote:

*yawn*

Really? I enjoy it. It's exciting every time a team approaches a time check.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    TTs are always a bit dull but this will set the story for some of the race. Can Columbia hold off Astana to put Cav in pink or will Armstrong win the day? It's very close...
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Cav will be in pink
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Cav will be in pink

Good news - excellent for Cav and for cycling in Britain. We are starting to become a racing cycling nation again - outstanding.
  • afx237vi
    teagar wrote:

*yawn*

Dunno how they decided the order of the teams, but it didn't help that Columbia and Garmin were off so early. After that, it was very boring.
  • afx237vi
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Cav will be in pink

Until Tuesday, at least.
  • donrhummy
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

*yawn*

Dunno how they decided the order of the teams, but it didn't help that Columbia and Garmin were off so early. After that, it was very boring.

Isn't it: Last year's winner is last and everyone else is random? I thought that was how they usually do it.
  • afx237vi
    MAAAARK CAVENDEEEEESH-AH!

WTF is the RAI TV director doing? I haven't seen one gondola yet, and now they're showing us a bunch of porta-cabins. Nice.
  • iainf72
    I love the Focus adverts. They're so amazingly German.

"Focus. Bikes made in Germany"
  • iainf72
    And another thing. The girls holding the bikes at the start of the TT.

APPROVED-744443.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Freakin' awesome!:D
    Let's see if it gets a mention on the british news... :roll:
  • blazing_saddles
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Let's see if it gets a mention on the british news... :roll:

Only after, as Sean Kelly would say: "and Lance Armstrong was first of the turds to cross the line, so narrowly missed pink."
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    If Cav's in pink then it'll be a mercy to see him in a decent looking shirt other than Columbia's rotten kit .

Joy ! :D
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Well done Cav, I too hope he gets some coverage in our press tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I see LA's coach Charmichael saying he has recent training data which suggest LA will surprise a few people..didn't manage to get streaming tv pics due to buffering out here, but how did he look? Is it mind games again?
  • blazing_saddles
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I see LA's coach Charmichael saying he has recent training data which suggest LA will surprise a few people..didn't manage to get streaming tv pics due to buffering out here, but how did he look? Is it mind games again?

In a word: BIG.
    Sat on the back a lot. Came to the front more, later on and pinched first over the line, just in case.
    Nice.

I find it worrying, when Charmichael speaks in such terms. How, when he's been training hurt?
    Millar, back from a similar injury, admittedly out for longer, looked even more ordinary than usual.