Boonen - Positive for coke again

Beatmaker
Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Breaking news on BBC Sport apparently :(

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Also on CNs
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... may09news2
    He may be lucky as he just missed being in competition.
    Then again, maybe not. He has to stop partying with David Kopp.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Very sad. I never believed his "spiked drink" excuse last yearand won't believe whatever excuse he tries to give this time. Didn't hair samples suggest that he'd been using cocaine over the course of a number of months last year?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Once was bad enough, but a second time he's looking at some prison time, unless he goes to rehab.

Very dissapointing news
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    what a douchebag. the geezer obviously has a problem, he got off once - very lucky. this time it'll really throw a spanner in the works for his career. shame
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • mpd62
    mpd62 Posts: 71
    Open your eyes!!!!!!!!freinds,family may be yourself if honest , cocain use for recreation is massive
  • I realize he was banned from both the Tour of Switzerland and the Tour De France last year, but what are the implications? Out of competition, not performance enhancing, yes he's an athlete in the public eye so not a great role model but its consenting adults isn't it?
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    banned substance = banned rider, no if buts or maybe about it, stupid man
  • Unsheath
    Unsheath Posts: 49
    Great rider but one has to question is IQ. 1 strike, 2 strikes..................
  • Beatmaker
    mpd62 wrote:
    Open your eyes!!!!!!!!freinds,family may be yourself if honest , cocain use for recreation is massive

maybe I'm being stupid here but I don't get the point you are trying to make. Regardless of how many people take coke recreationally if I was one of the most high profile riders on the planet and ex World Champ, I'd be a little wary of taking coke knowing I could be tested at any time and it would be a massive story if I were positive.

Boonen is a classy rider and I want to watch him bossing the classics for many years to come, he can't do that if he keeps being caught with Columbia's finest in his blood. It may seem like nothing to you but one of the last riders who was famous for his love of recreational drugs ended up dead in a cheap hotel room in Rimini.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    banned substance = banned rider, no if buts or maybe about it, stupid man

Not banned out of competion. Which it was.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    I don't know, I guess this kind of thing just reminds me of tales of Tricky Dicky and his pot belge (sp?) Add that to the stories of Pantani, it is just not a world I know or want to associate with.
    Call that putting my head in the sand if you like but I like bikes and bike racing, not drugs. Can you have one without the other nowadays? I suppose that is the big question. It seems to be a fact (Hamilton anyone?) that on bike drug use often leads to off bike drug use.
    Not pretty.
    Col.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Beatmaker wrote:
    he can't do that if he keeps being caught with Columbia's finest in his blood

I think you mean Colombia.... unless there's something even more murky going on behind the scenes :shock:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Beatmaker
    LOL, yes of course I did. I am in no way inferring that Cav is Boonen's dealer.
  • I'm sure Pierre and Bobby will soon get to the bottom of this! Over to you Iain
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Regardless of how many people take coke recreationally if I was one of the most high profile riders on the planet and ex World Champ, I'd be a little wary of taking coke knowing I could be tested at any time and it would be a massive story if I were positive.

Well said, this is exactly how I feel. Once for cocaine is somewhat ok but doing it twice after the pain of not being able to compete in the TdF is just ridiculous. I really like Boonen as a rider and he is easily my favourite classics rider but everything else is just a disgrace.

However there is one thing I don't understand and that is why it is a banned substance in competition - I don't follow the drugs in cycling so am not aware of its benefits in competition?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited May 2009
    Fella must be in self destruct mode.

One of the biggest earners in the peleton why would you want to throw it all away?

I'm sure Quick Step may take a very dim view of 2 positive coke tests.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    What a stupid arse - looks like he's playing the look at me am a star who can do anything routine !!! was one of my fav riders until now How F%£$ing silly are these pro riders still taking stuff when they know the risks - are they all brainless twats !!!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Quickstep is Tom Boonen. I think they will allow him any transgressions as they know how critical he is to the team. It needs an impartial influence if anything is going to happen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Eh, I'm not surprised. There will be cocaine use among some of those who've got the money to afford it. Boonen's gonna go to reehaaab, he can't saay nooo noooo nooo.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Also on CNs
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... may09news2
    He may be lucky as he just missed being in competition.
    Then again, maybe not. He has to stop partying with David Kopp.

This quote concerned me, from his lawyer:

Boonen's lawyer Luc Deleu confirmed to Sporza.be said that his client is "extremely depressed. Nothing can be denied. This is a legal and human problem."
    Shades of Marco Pantani and his battle with drugs?
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Haha, my signature for the last week must have been a prophecy
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I think it would be harsh to lock him up for a second cocaine offense if it is small amounts...he clearly has a drug problem and should be supported as much as punished ...winning big bike races isn't enough...it won't cure whatever his emotional troubles are...addicition but why ?
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416

However there is one thing I don't understand and that is why it is a banned substance in competition - I don't follow the drugs in cycling so am not aware of its benefits in competition? .

Pain killer

and allows you to keep going through exhaustion
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    But also very easily detectable, no one would use it in competition.

It's one of those cases where the rider tests positive for stupidity, sure he'd know he gets caught. Cross the (white) line and you'll easily be busted. Fool.

Is that the sound of a champagne cork popping in the Team Columbia hotel this morning?
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776

I find this thread better reading with this particular soundtrack.......

Do you think he is another Marco waiting to happen?!

It's sad, the man has already made his name for the right reasons, this just leaves a sour taste in all of cycling fans mouths. How to damage a legacy in a few very easy and stupid steps.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    He has been suspended by Lefevre, and look here he is caught in the act.
    mediaxl9107532441674.jpg
    By ademort
    Reactions in Belgium and the Netherlands are overwhelming, how can he be so stupid.
    Ademort :wink:
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    If it is a genuine drug problem than it's not stupid... It's a lot of other things but stupid it isn't.

Quitting drugs like cocain isn't like stopping smoking.

Clearly there are personal problems. I'm sure he knows the consequences, certainly more than any of you, not least because of what happened last year.

If it isn't a drug problem on its own, then surely he must have enough personal problems for him to seek such extreme relief.

People don't do stuff like that when it is so damaging for a career just on a whim. I think some of you are being rather narrow minded here.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Bloke's an idiot. Only a ban for life will do imo.