Knee pain - ITB injury

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
I'm an ex-hockey player - one of the reasons why I came to cycling was the damage I'd done to my left knee after it folded under me in a foul tackle. At the time I never had any physio, and it "recovered" on its own.

That was about 6 years ago, and I've been cycling for the last 4 or so years. I'm training pretty hard for the Marmotte, or at least I was, until my knee pain flared up again. I've had a couple of physio sessions and have more to come. The physio has diagnosed Iliotybial Band Syndrome, damage to the ligament on the outside of my knee.

I haven't ridden properly for a week and plan to have at least a further week off. My knee feels permanently a bit numb and weak when I e.g. try to run up stairs.

Between physio sessions I am busy doing the stretches the physio suggests. I have also checked the height of my saddle (to make sure it is where it should be when I had a bikefit some 3 years ago - the saddle had got 3 cms too low (!) so I've raised it). I also intend to check my cleat angle and to see if I can move the saddle forward.

Can anyone offer me any commiseration or advice that would help me get back and training as quickly as possible? I've seen the other thread re ITB stretches, and didn't want to jump that one, but am also interested in solutions or advice that can add to my stretching regime.