Advice For Beginner

Stri
Stri Posts: 18
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, so please be nice. Lot's of changes of my life recently, stopping smoking, new flat, new job and 30 miles a week by bike to work.

It's had a huge impact on my life frankly and as such I've signed up for the GNBR (Great North Bike Ride) in August.

GNBR Route Link (of forum)

Ah y'see the problem is this....
After signing up I've begun to appreciate the enormity of my task. 54 miles is so no small jounrey. I've begun buying little things for my bike. The next thing is to buy some road tires, got myself a padded saddle and will give it an MOT soon too.

I'd appreciate some helpful tips on how to 'up my game' as they Americans might say and improve my training. I cover 30 miles to work each week and maybe another 10 at the weekend and I realize I'm going to need to use some of my weekend time to go on a substanially longer ride.

I had a 24 mile ride the other day and I was surpised at how little it hurt. I live in Percy Main, Newcastle so I'm looking for a nice pretty route with no people to bother me. I'm thinkng of cycling to a rural area and renting a B&B, getting drunk and then cycling back although the getting drunk might be a bad idea.

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what to do I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Just gradually increase the time you ride when you train. I find it best to work in time. Say, ride a few one hour rides, then a couple one and a halfs and another one hour, then 100 mins, etc.

You can always go further when you really push yourself for a one of event anyway.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Stri
    Yeah, I like this idea. Simple but effective. Much like me in fact.

Thanks Teagar
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Oh, and vary the intensity too. Clearly riding a hard hour is easier than an easy one and a half. That way there's more variation. That's not to say riding hard for an hour all the time will mean you'll have a lot of juice left when you're two hours into your big ride! It's good to vary it all.

I like to decide just on what I fancy that day!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Hi Stri - welcome!

I'm in a bit of a similar position - doing my first 60 miler at the end of June! This will be my first event, so lots of trepidation involved!

I agree with what teagar says - just gradually increase the time - coz time in the saddle is the most important thing. You will be amazed at how quickly it goes by, once you're doing some new routes - you'll get sidetracked by the new scenery for a start and not notice the distance so much!

I found that by doing a base of gym work on the static bikes there, actually being on my own bike seemed a lot easier, too.

Good luck!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    OK - so you need a distance increase, and are not too concerned with speed?

Try the 10% rule - once you find a distance that you found a good challenge (e.g. pretty tired by then end) then using this as your base, try and increase your rides by 10% each time you go out.

This will give you realistic goals, but more importantly, your body can adjust to these increases much better than pushing yourself too hard too quickly, and then struggling to recover.

Just remember to eat & drink enough during your rides.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go and do a 100 miler this weekend then the 54 will seem easy when you do it.

:D

As has been said before, just increase steadily but what does become important when you start riding for longer periods is nutrition - ensure you are getting plenty carbs and water/electrolyte or you will grind to a halt after about 3 hrs.

The most important thing though is that you enjoy yourself. At this early stage, don't push too hard that it becomes a chore. If you do start becoming disenchanted, try picking a village about 25 miles away from where you live that has a nice cafe, ride there, have a cup of tea and a nice slice of cake or whatever as a reward, chill out for 30 mins then ride home.

Further to this, have a look at local clubs in the area, my cycling enjoyment and ability increased maffisly after joining a local club, as well as my knowledge of local routes.

Good luck in your endeavours!
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    You might find as you ride for longer that things start to get uncomfortable in the saddle department or that you get aches and pains in other places. Don't be afraid to ask at bike shops, or on here for advice about what to do/how to prevent these problems, and be prepared to do a little adjustment to your position on the bike (saddle height/handle bar position etc) if you do have any issues with it. It can take a while to get things spot on, but good luck and enjoy your cycling!
  • Stri
    Thanks all
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    good luck with the ride.

just do long ride a week and gradually build up the distance. you may also want to consider looking at a proper training plan.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    2 years ago I was puking my guts up at the side of the road after cycling 6 miles, on sunday I am looking forward to my first 100miler having done lots of 60+ rides this year. As others have said its a case of gradual improvement,variation and enjoyment.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I'd suggest padded shorts (baggy if you can't face wearing lycra). Although a little seat gel is OK don't buy too padded a saddle. Wear the shorts next to your skin. Aldi are stocking some undershorts this week, I haven't seen them yet but they're unobtrusive under other garments. Aldi have cheap mitts too, which help stop your palms rubbing on the grips and can absorb vibration.

Get some nice narrow road tyres that will take good pressures. Fit them soon so you're used to riding on them. Get suitably sized inner tubes, always carry at least 1 spare plus tyre levers and a pump as well as some allen keys or a multitool).

Fit a water bottle and cage. I wouldn't recommend branded energy drinks unless you stumble on one you really like. Find something you can drink, I like fruit juice 50/50 with water. Carry some nibbles on rides longer than an hour such as raisins and a banana or a fruit/cereal bar. Choose something you enjoy and goes down easily. Stop for a break when you feel like it (it's meant to be fun, after all).

As others have said, up your mileage steadily. If you've done 24 miles you're half way to your target distance already. Do that a couple more times then add to it. Napoleon's idea of somewhere to ride to is a good one.

Have your bike checked over a week or two before the big day, make sure your chain, brake pads have plenty of life in them and your gears are adjusted properly.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Stri
    I've saved that as reference and will do my best to adhere to it. Good advice there, thanks
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Never tried them myself but my mate was a bit raw after 26miles the other day wearing aldi padded shorts. He's not a seasoned cyclist so isn't use to any type of mileage but he said his 'ass was ******* killing him!'
    You might want to invest in some half decent shorts, don't spend a fortune but £40 will definetly get you a decent pair (did my first century in £40 Briko shorts, no problems at all). Think about your 3 contact points and don't scrimp too much on these, but search for the bargains, they're out there.
  • Stri
    I don't have money to burn and it seems are more important than I had originally thought (I just thought they were pretencious) so I'll get some from Aldi, I can always buy a better pair later.

Thanks all.

If the weather is improved this weekend I hope to go on a nice long ride