I cant walk... Ankle aggro.

tobh
tobh Posts: 103
Ok. Please help me here I am going crazy..

I started cycling last year as I was / am a runner who kept getting injured. I started on the MTB, and now have a road bike.

I amnow back running but the road biking is now starting to take over..

I was out on Saturday morning. I did 50 miles on a not so hilly Essex road ride. I get home, did not stretch (I don't usually stretch from the bike. But when running I have to stretch after). I just lay down the floor and played with my son with his Lego. After a while of walking around I notice a pain in Achiiles. This pain has now become more and more pronounced till today I can hardly walk down the street.

The pain has shifted very slightly to right side / outside of ankle.. This pain and sympton is very very similar to a running injury I had (the one that forced me on to the bike). But when I had this running injury I could ride ok. Just couldn't run. Now I cant run nor ride.

Any ideas ?

I was using SPD's - with the cleat as far towards the front of the shoe as poss. But when I was riding I felt no pain. In fact I felt 100% great..

It's doing me in. I have a weekend on the MTB in wales in 4 weeks and my first MTB enduro coming up and finally some decent weather to get out on the road bike.. And I cant run either.

Please help. Any advice much appreciated.

T

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    go see a sports physio with some experience of cyclists

I know it's obvious advice but tbh it is the quickest way to get things sorted,
  • tobh
    Re physio

I saw 3 physios with my running injury. They all said slightly different things. Eventually i saw a podiatrist who told me I had cloven feet (or something very similar). But... I think that's wrong now too. Cos it's same injury now and I did not get this running.

I also cannot afford any more physios..

I think I have weak calves.

But would I get a strained calf simply doing a hard(ish) ride ?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    tobh wrote:

I was using SPD's - with the cleat as far towards the front of the shoe as poss. But when I was riding I felt no pain. In fact I felt 100% great..

cleat should be positioned so that the ball of your foot is over the pedal axle, by placing it so far forward you are increasing the load in the achilles.
  • tobh
    and, sorry this is a little off tagent here, I nearly came off in the last mile.

I was motoring along head down having just beaten the lights and a person pulled out from the side of the road in front of me. I swerved and missed it by like an inch. Maybe in doing so I somehow twisted my foot... or not ?

(or as my mystical mate at work has just said, karma is paying me back for not killing me by giving me a dodgy ankle for a month... or indeed not).

T
  • tomcooper
    tomcooper Posts: 9
    Have you been to your GP?
    Any swelling over achilles- visible or otherwise? Run your fingers either side up and down on both sides and you should be able to feel if there is a swelling or not. Is it worst when walking down stairs? Could be achilles tendonitis or bursitis perhaps- both of which are a pain. Blood supply to any cartilage/tendon/ligament is not wonderful so they are slow healers. All I'd suggest is rest and ibuprofen twice a day after meals for a couple of weeks (if you can take it that is- ie, not asthmatic or sensitive to it). This will help to reduce swelling. Rest I know is hard- I've had a similar prob with my ankle and couldn't bear to be off bike for more than a week. If you are not going to be able to rest just avoid steep hills which require you to stand up and out of the saddle.
    Tom