One calf is bigger than the other

dmbrown
dmbrown Posts: 3
I'm 20 years old and I've been road racing and time trialing for about 3 years now. I've recently noticed that my right inner calf has grown a lot but my left inner calf has not.

Does anyone know exactly why this has happened and/or have any suggestions on how I can balance this out. My right leg feels so much more stable on the pedal than my left leg and it's really starting to bother me now as I think it's affecting my performance.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It may be worth speaking to a physio as there could be a few reasons for the discrepancy, furthermore, it may turn out to be a non-issue.
  • Starwasp
    Starwasp Posts: 59
    When you are off the bike, do you hop around on one leg very much. If so, is it your right? :lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It could be a neuro-muscular problem and not a training one. Worth a visit to the doctor to check out.

If all is OK - you CAN do focussed training for that one calf to build it up, but it would be off the bike training. (Probably focussed calf-raises).

Hope it's all OK....
  • dmbrown
    dmbrown Posts: 3
    Pokerface wrote:
    It could be a neuro-muscular problem and not a training one.

This is what I was thinking. Although, I can contract the muscle I have a problem with it. I'm in my second year of a sports science degree and know a little bit about muscle fibre recruitment and the neuro-muscular system. Might go and get it checked out and see a physio.

Cheers.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Is there any discernible difference with other leg muscles? It may be that you are very right dominant (like I am) and presumably right handed? (or vice versa) At your age I would start trying to correct this imbalance asap - especially when training I think you should focus your attention on the weaker side. I'm convinced getting this sorted will help biomechanically and lead to better performance and reduced injury potentially later. What about your saddle? Does that sag more on one side or another?

I am currently dealing with a few problems in my left leg which I think I, at least partly, created (ironically because I was trying to correct the imbalance through doing things like one legged squats) such as a persistently tight hamstring, what feels like a nerve (but isn't according to my NHS physio) problem at the top of my leg towards the back of it, and, just lately, a slight muscle tear in my left calf (coincidence?). The problem manifests itself more with running than cycling.

If you do try to correct the imbalance try to do it 'on the bike' otherwise be very careful in the weights room. Goodluck.
  • extremepig
    extremepig Posts: 23
    Noticed my right calf is a lot bigger than my left in the shower a few weeks ago. Might check it out with the physio but doesn't seem to be causing me any problems (limps away from computer like quasimodo :lol: )

No seriously it is a lot bigger plus I'm right handed.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    451598122_ba13b1bfbe_o.jpg

The right calf is often the biggest.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Everyone's a bit asymetrical no? I was told today on a club ride that my left thigh was a lot smaller than my right...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    teagar wrote:
    Everyone's a bit asymetrical no? I was told today on a club ride that my left thigh was a lot smaller than my right...

Yup. For instance Arnies left bicep IIRC was about 2 inches smaller than his right, and he spent a lot of time trying to get the balance, to no avail.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    My calves are not equal in size. Everyone has similar discrepancies and it is normal. Asymmetry can be due to other muscles not recruiting effectively and causing imblanaces elsewhere - so it could possibly be linked to core strength or indeeed to glute or other muscle strength not just a weaker calf itself. I also agree with poker face that one cause or possibly just a factor in increasing any imbalance could be to do with posture (on and off the bike), something like seating position for instance can make a difference. If you are interested in this, then do some research and perhaps also go to a sports masseur, as they are generally pretty clued up on these things. It must also be said that it is biological fact that cells do not divide equally so I wonder how much of this asymmetry is in fact genetic, or inherent in our make up. Remember that we are inherently asymmetrical beings, trying to make use of a symmetrical bike, so it's not surprising we sometimes have problems!