Leg numbness/weakness.

teagar
teagar Posts: 2,100
Hi guys.

A bit of amateur diagnosis...

I've been noticing over the past few weeks, now that i've started riding for more than 2hrs or so, that the middle toe on my left foot goes completely numb. Even worse, when I'm riding hard late on in a long ride, I feel what seems like a slight numbness in my entire left leg. It's not pins and needles, and it still pedals fine, but it's a bit disconcerting. It's often when i'm climbing in the saddle.

When I get out of the saddle once it starts it doesn't really tend to go away untill I actually stop cycling (say at a traffic light).

Having got back to the peak district, I've noticed on the ludicrously steep climbs when i'm pumping very slowly out of the saddle, that my left legs seems to be slightly weaker than my right.

About 4 years ago I remember my parents once mentioned that my right thigh was slightly bigger than my left.

I've also noticed that my left leg is an awful lot less flexible than my right - something i've been working on. It's the tendons that feel shorter, rather than the hamstring muscle.

It's all a bit odd, given that I'm very left sided more generally.

Any ideas?
Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.

Comments

• SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    This isn't an easy one to 'daiganose' as this kind of thing can originate in the hips/back.

General disclaimer - I'm not a medic, just speaking from a recipient of osteopathic treatments over the past few months!

it could be:

Piriformis problems - the piriformis getting trapped or pinched as you spend longer in the saddle - especially if it eases on getting out of the saddle. This could be because you have an incorrect saddle for your needs, or just because of your longer rides.

Slight scoliosis of the spine - could result in you having posture that isn't a good as it should be, resulting in imbalances and differential muscle usage on either side.

Hip misalingment - ie, rotated forward, back or one side being higher than the other. This may result in leg appearing to be slightly longer than the other and again, differential muscle usage.

I have had all of the above and had no idea about the spine/hip issues until I went to see an osteo - and he has seemingly fixed them now. I feel so much better than before! I still have the priformis issues (which can make it feel as if you have tight tendons), but specific stretches are dealing with this over time.

Of course, your problem could be something different entirely - I'm sure others will give you other info

Get yourself to an osteo - and if he/she is a sporty person (even better a cyclist) they will know exactly how to help you out from their own experience.

Depending where you are in the counry, I could recommend an osteo to you, if you want.
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08