How to lose that last bit of weight?

2»

Comments

• sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    dave milne wrote:
    My current weight (10st 3lbs) isn't far off my optimal but I can definitely lose a few more pounds safely as I still have excess fat round my chin and in the "love handle" area. I'd certainly like to lose this last bit before I do the Marmotte in 12 weeks time.

Any ideas on how to do this safely without losing muscle mass? Is it as simple as just cutting down on my carbs for my regular (not before training) meals.

Drop a few calories and ride harder and faster for longer.
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    David - good news is that you've got a long time before your ride, you can lose up to around 1 lb of fat per week without suffering too much, or making yourself ill. A calorie deficit of 500 kcal per day works out as 3,500 kcal per week, which equates to 1 lb of fat.

In terms of actually achieving this, there are no quick fixes. Any talk of low-carb diets or taking supplements will mean you won't be able to get the most out of your rides, and you won't be able to recover properly afterwards.

You're going to have to work out what your body needs for your level of training. This includes energy output whilst riding and the food you eat whilst on the bike, and any food you need to prepare for and recover from your rides. Practically this means you're going to have to increase your carbs and protein intake and reduce your fat intake to make room, especially cutting out the 'bad' fats (saturated, hydrogenated). Keeping a food diary will help, but ultimately you're going to have to accept if you want to lose any significant amount of weight given your current physique and level of fitness, you're going to have to suffer and be a hungry for a few weeks.
  • Hey, someone said earlier in this thread 'eat six meals a day'. I like the sound of this for obvious reasons. However, I work, commute on a bike, have a fixed budget, a child, a wife, friends and work to do. How the bloody hell do you prepare and eat six meals a day?!!!!!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The weight is irrelevant in terms of determining whether you should lose weight. Muscle is denser than fat too. Remember also that a lot of your weight comes from your skeleton and this varies greatly - you can be 20% fat and weigh less than someone who is the same height and has 10% fat if they have a small skeleton wheras yours is quite large. The mirror and the pinch test does not lie.

See the pictures of Contador and Rasmussen, there is definitely way more than 3kg of muscle on Contador and he is taller.

Contador is 62kg (9.8 Stones). He has more muscle than you might think:

corvos_contador_giro_stage_16.jpg

Rasmussen is 59kg (9.3 Stones) and 5ft 8.

rasmussen.jpg

Both Schlecks are 67kg (10.6 Stones) but 6ft 1.

oly_g_schleck_in_300.jpg

Now Robbie McEwen is 67kg and 5ft 7 and he is pretty hefty.

tdf06st20-robbie450.jpg

And comparing myself, 5ft 10 and 68 kg with an upper body with unfortunately more muscle mass than McEwen.

And what is all this talk of Stones...totally pointless, why can't you talk in Kg.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    On the point of wanting to lose weight quickly, look no further than Bodybuilders. They have ridiculously low bodyfat % when they are competing. However the methods they use are short term and effect your metabolism negatively in the long term. It isn't very healthy too. I guess you could read a bit about it and then choose aspects that seem sensible. Maybe take a look here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo. ... ingUpDiets

They all use supplements to do this and these are pretty good I think: http://www.maximuscle.com/fatloss
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

And what is all this talk of Stones...totally pointless, why can't you talk in Kg.

Because in the UK, weight is measured in stones!

But better yet - why can't you talk in POUNDS!!?? :)
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Could it be that your scales are inaccurate then? I mean, you're BMI is right at the bottom end of the 'normal' range, I assume you do a reasonable amount of exercise, and yet you still have 18% body fat? Trying to lose 10% of your body weight on that basis sounds a bit dodgy to me, but then for all I know you may have a very slight build.

The scales are probably not that accurate - but I'd be surprised if they're more than +/- 5% out...

I do a fair bit of excercise - mostly bike related - commute between 50 and 150 miles per week, and mountain bike at weekends, plus a fairly physical job. I'm not massively muscular, but I'm not especially skinny or weak either - wiry could be a good word - I'm reasonably happy to run up a flight of stairs carrying 50+kg.

As far as the fat loss goes, I'm not too fussed. Would be nice, but I do like my food too much, and there's a practical limit to quite how much riding I can fit in to my life. I'm no racer so it's for the personal satisfaction of "being the best I can be", and frankly I'd rather be a bit heavier, healthy and enjoy my riding, than a bit skinnier, constantly knackered, and not enjoying the bike time.
  • well I am 6'2" and just over 14st......yet with a 12% body fat.

I have a 34" waist and a 44" chest and pretty hefty thighs, and arms which are not spaghetti...... :)

ok - it is a disadvantage to me on club runs going up the hills...but I can more than make up for this going down the other side :D:D

all our bodies are slightly different in their composition.....If I were to loose a stone or so I would look ill, yet alone getting down to pro cyclists weights... :shock:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145

rasmussen.jpg

:shock: :!:

That can't be healthy!
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718

Is it just me or does Alberto have a camel toe???? should he(She) be in the girls in lycra thread??
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    fuzzynavel wrote:

Is it just me or does Alberto have a camel toe???? should he(She) be in the girls in lycra thread??
    Glad I'm not the only one that noticed it!! :shock:

Bt isn't it called a 'moose knuckle' on men? LOL
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I'm doing the Marmotte too. 6ft and around the 12 stone 10-12 lb range. I was over there in October, did the route, (multiple days) 12 stone 3-4 at that point after a long summer season. So put on a fair bit over the winter. A lot of my weight is leg muscle but there is certainly a bit of fat around the stomach I could wave goodbye to.

I would be happier to get back to the 12-3 of October or even 12 although that is unlikely at this point. I would not be overly concerned about doing it at my current weight either though, I am generally cycling well at the moment and did some serious hills in Spain in February and survived.

Bear in mind that you probably need a bit of fat left for endurance events and actively trying to shed it could be counterproductive. Especially if you lost muscle while trying. I'm doing a 960km 5-day stage sportive next week, hope that is good for a couple of pounds :)

To be honest I think you are almost certainly low enough already and would be best off just getting out there and riding. That is what I am attempting anyway, along with paying some attention to the amount of chocolate I eat.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    dave milne wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    10 stone 3!!?? :shock:

Are you 5 feet tall?

nope i'm 5' 11'', very slim build and arms like bits of spaghetti

I reccomend a course of pasties 1 a day at 10.30 in addition to normal diet.

Also 3 pints of guiness a night 7 on a friday and a kebab. Its important not to leave the chili sauce.

Youll soon look human again :)