An alternative to PSP

2»

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Poulsy wrote:
    You can buy 200mg caffeine tablets at myprotein too for about £5 for 100. Cut one in half and crush it up and put it in your drink. Bingo!

They sell the powder too, it's cheaper no crushing needed, and less chalk in your drink.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    jibberjim wrote:
    doyler78 wrote:
    I've been looking for the 4:1 carb:protein drink with caffeine added as caffeine and protein are supposed this years biggies along with the carbs of course for on the bike feeding. Can't find it yet. New business maybe :lol:

Hammer's Sustained Energy, flavoured with a caffeine included gel, is a long recommended by them fuel for longer distances - gives you more like 8:1 carb/protein ratio though.

I'm not sure 4:1 is worthwhile, it's a lot of protein to digest which will just slow down the absorbtion of the carbs, leaving you with less overall calories per hour, which may indeed be better if the quality is better. Taking in the important amino-acids isolated from the general protein may provide the same benefit as the protein only without the digestion hit.

Easy enough to make your own meeting your specs though, be interesting to hear your results!
    the power bar stuff i mentioned has 'mood' amino acids to make you feel happy you're half killing yourself - according to the blurb - and the effct(placebo or otherwise) is quite ok.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Had a chat with coach today and I'm going to try powerbar - Ut_och_cykla - they have a few different types, which did you go for?
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    40% or so pure OJ, 60% water will do me for shorter rides (<3 hours), anything longer and I'll have a couple of nanas and some honey or marmalade sandwiches. Makes me sound about 65 (which I'm not) but I don't have any need for more on shorter flatter rides.

Longest ride recently was 170k, inc 30k climbing, which (IIRC) I did on a marmalade sandwhich, a brioche, 2 packets of crisps, 3 bottles of coke, 1 litre of water, 1.5 litres of diluted OJ and a "cafe solo". Think the 2nd packet of crisps was a bit too much for me...
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    popette wrote:
    Coach worked out that I need 60g of carb per hour on a long ride - yesterday I rode for 6 hours.

wow! I did 94 miles sunday on a small bowl of porridge and beans on toast at the cafe stop.

[I left all my food on the kitchen table so had no choice!] :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Have you tried Gatorade?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Have you tried Gatorade?

Mentioned quite often in Lance Armstrong's biogs so can't be a bad recommendation, irrespective of what you think of the man himself.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    popette wrote:
    Had a chat with coach today and I'm going to try powerbar - Ut_och_cykla - they have a few different types, which did you go for?
    I've used their powder mixed according to recomendations - C2 max carb lemon
    gels - same (tropical fruit flavour)
    Bars - Maxim crunchy - power bars are VERY tediuos when its cold - almost loosen me dentures :wink: Power bars are ok but a bit 'industrial' taste and consitency wise. Teh packaging also sticks to the product when warm.. foil and bar combo not nice!
    Also have a weakness for sausage sarnies - made from white bread and cooked cold sliced pork sausage. Smidgin av mustard, no butter or marg.
    Good luck
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    This stuff sounds pretty good, at least from the advert...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • doyler78 wrote:
    Have you tried Gatorade?

Mentioned quite often in Lance Armstrong's biogs so can't be a bad recommendation, irrespective of what you think of the man himself.

It's pretty good. A guy who runs the Sports Science department at Uni recommends it over anything else too.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    +1 Torq - not very sweet tasting too.
    I think it is worth looking at the list of ingredients - with Torq you avoid unnatural additives.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Thanks for all your answers - most helpful. I've just bought a tub of Powerbar so will see how it goes. My stomach is still recovering from the weekend - I think I must have had a bug or something as this is just not right.

Thanks again
    :)