So is exercise good for you?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Just spotted this on the BBC website, quite funny really.

This article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/906030.stm warns that intensive exercise damages the lungs... but a couple of days earlier they posted this article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/903206.stm which advises that vigorous exercise fights heart desease...

So you will have a good heart but you will be damaging your lungs at the same time :):)
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    and damage your right leg :(
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I got disaognosed with asthma at a time when I was not doing much exercise (around 9 years ago)

I re-started going to the gym more regularly after an initial treatment with steroids, but the asthma was never under control until I started doing intense endurance exercises improving my aerobic capacity.

Without such exercise my lungs would suffer greatly in cold and humid environments.

I have tested this over 9 years.

I can now cycle hard for a few hours at -7C and not have any symptoms of asthma.

Basically, I think you must take any research with a pinch of salt...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    fnegroni wrote:
    I can now cycle hard for a few hours at -7C...

Yeah - but why would you WANT to!? :shock:
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    fnegroni wrote:
    Basically, I think you must take any research with a pinch of salt...
    Yes, ignore all research as quackery and take the anecdotal evidence of 1 asthmatic as the gospel truth. :)
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    Pokerface wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:
    I can now cycle hard for a few hours at -7C...

Yeah - but why would you WANT to!? :shock:

I did 3 hour rides this winter and it was around this temperature too....as long as you keep the extremities warm and wear windproof gear (in scotland at least) you will be fine as long as you keep moving.

I don't know if I actually wanted to do it but there was something else driving me to do it....not sure what it is....maybe motivation or a mild addiction to cycling.

In regard to the original poster....if you look hard enough you can probably find a paper to support any crackpot theory.....
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I heard something about professional endurance athletes being much more prone to exercise induced asthma because they spend a lot of time gulping in lots of cold air, hence all the asthma exemptions in the peleton. Of course it could just be a convenient cover up, but I'm sure there's a gem of truth in there.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 60
    Gav888 wrote:
    Just spotted this on the BBC website

Says it all. The Beeb must have some worst reporters and editors known to man.
    Winter Bike: Specialized Allez Elite
    Summer Bike: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    fnegroni wrote:
    ... Basically, I think you must take any research with a pinch of salt...

Also not good for you Or is it? :wink: